• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unfulfilled by my Ryzen 5 1600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mogar

Registered
Does anyone else feel this way with their ryzen rig?

I can't get this dang thing to boot above 3000mhz on the memory without running into issues while gaming with games crashing. My current rig sets are: 3500mHz CPU clock 1.268V with stock cooler, 2933mHz 14-14-14-30-1 on my G-Skill CL14 3200mHz rated memory.. I have gotten the rig to run quite well, except in gaming, on 3066mHz, but even with CL19 timings I can't get 3200mHz to post.

Will they be fixing this with a bios update or is Ryzen going to stay on slow frequencies, relatively?

Makes me feel like I should've stuck with my Ivy bridge or Sandy bridge for a bit longer.
Canonlake is around the corner though right?!

The GSkill Flare X and TidentZ series are your best bet for achieving 3200 mhz. It is pretty well-known by now that only those memory modules based on the Samsung B die IC have a good chance to get to 3200 mhz with Ryzen CPUs. Did look into this before purchasing? It's pretty well documented on this forum.

I was pretty sure that CL14 rated 3200mHz memory would be b die, am I wrong, did I buy some expensive *** hynix crap?

Have you increased the SOC voltage? AFAIK Ryzen memory overclocks (remember the stock speed is 2666 MHz) tend to require something around 1.1 V on the SOC instead of the stock 0.9 V. Also note that the ratings on nearly all RAM modules are only for Intel, so they may well be unattainable on your Ryzen system and it's not necessarily a BIOS issue. Your motherboard's memory qvl is a better indicator of what each supported memory should be able to reach. G.Skill announced RAM modules for Ryzen CPUs only a few days ago, so things are finally getting better but it's taken memory manufacturers quite long to start fixing things on their end.

I can't get this dang thing to boot above 3000mhz on the memory without running into issues while gaming with games crashing. My current rig sets are: 3500mHz CPU clock 1.268V with stock cooler, 2933mHz 14-14-14-30-1 on my G-Skill CL14 3200mHz rated memory.. I have gotten the rig to run quite well, except in gaming, on 3066mHz, but even with CL19 timings I can't get 3200mHz to post.

The difference in performance between running your RAM @ 2933 MHz vs. 3200 MHz is insignificant. I recommend that you stop obsessing over this minor "issue" and just run it as is.

I was pretty sure that CL14 rated 3200mHz memory would be b die, am I wrong, did I buy some expensive *** hynix crap?

Probably all 3200 CL14 are only on Samsung IC. My 3200 CL14 TridentZ is harder to stabilize than some other Samsung B kits on Ryzen. Still not the worst.

On ASUS X370, Biostar X370 and Gigabyte B350 all I had to do to make it work at 3200 was to set 14-14-14 or 16-16-16 and 1.35-1.40V ( voltage depends on board and used BIOS ).

Your motherboard's memory qvl is a better indicator of what each supported memory should be able to reach. G.Skill announced RAM modules for Ryzen CPUs only a few days ago, so things are finally getting better but it's taken memory manufacturers quite long to start fixing things on their end.

Not all memory kits from QVL lists are working. Simple BIOS update may cause that something is working better or worse. On my Biostar board, the latest BIOS is not stable at 3200 with all my kits ( kits that on Intel can make 4500 ) while earlier release works fully stable.

G.Skill released FlareX and Fortis kits for Ryzen long time ago ( just after Ryzen premiere ). FlareX is about the same as TridentZ but memory profiles are a bit different. Generally it's matter of sub-timings which motherboard can't translate. New TridentZ which were corrected and tested on Ryzen and TR were released last week.

Last edited:
Not all memory kits from QVL lists are working. Simple BIOS update may cause that something is working better or worse. On my Biostar board, the latest BIOS is not stable at 3200 with all my kits ( kits that on Intel can make 4500 ) while earlier release works fully stable.

This is true and no overclock is ever 100% guaranteed, but I would still consider it the best source at the moment. The Intel ratings are almost worthless when buying RAM for Ryzen. There are many cases where the "Intel rating" may be 4 GHz+ while the memory qvl rating is below 3 GHz. I see little point in spending the extra $$$ those high clock speeds demand if the motherboard manufacturer hasn't seen anything close to those speeds.

Thanks for the reminder on the Flarex and Fortis kits, btw. You're absolutely correct. Those haven't been on my radar for some reason and I've just been frustrated with trying to match motherboard memory qvls with compatibility listings from RAM manufacturers, who in my experience tend to not list no AM4 motherboards at all on their support pages (for the modules I have been interested in).

Personally, I think the small difference in performance you get trying to achieve 3200 mhz is not worth the hassle and expense. It doesn't really change the big picture of Ryzen's capability. 3200 mhz may be a status symbol to some folks but it's really an arbitrary number.

Personally, I think the small difference in performance you get trying to achieve 3200 mhz is not worth the hassle and expense. It doesn't really change the big picture of Ryzen's capability. 3200 mhz may be a status symbol to some folks but it's really an arbitrary number.

This!

With AMD you go for tight timings vs speed. You gain better latency this way.

With AMD you go for tight timings vs speed. You gain better latency this way.

May be true for older AMD CPUs, not so for Ryzen.

https://www.eteknix.com/memory-speed-large-impact-ryzen-performance/

For OP's case though, the gains would be pretty much negligible. 2933 MHz is already pretty good and to see any FPS differences worth mentioning compared to 3200 MHz RAM, one would need a 1080 Ti in which case the games are already running well. It's harder to say what the difference would be in production workloads, but I doubt it would be more than a few percent.

Does anyone else feel this way with their ryzen rig?

Will they be fixing this with a bios update or is Ryzen going to stay on slow frequencies, relatively?

Makes me feel like I should've stuck with my Ivy bridge or Sandy bridge for a bit longer.
Canonlake is around the corner though right?!

If you gave us a few more particulars about your system like the motherboard and bios version. Maybe some CPUz pics of the SPD tab etc we would stand a better chance of offering some assistance.

Back