• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unlocked and OCed 960T on ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ruledo

I'm not the most experienced overclocker, but I think I just got lucky.

I purchased an ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS motherboard and AMD Phenom II X4 960T Black Edition combo for $150 (eBay).
I also picked up CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (2X4GB) 240-Pin SDRAM DDR3 1333 CMX8GX3M2A1333C9 for $48 (eBay).

In the bios I disabled Turbo, Cool'n'Quiet and Q-Fan.
Then I enabled ACC and turned on Unleash Mode (all cores).
6 cores unlocked.
Used HWMonitor and CPU-Z for monitoring.
At this stage CPU-Z identifies the CPU as 1605T.
Ran Prime95 Heat stress test, no problems.
CPU (core temps cannot be read while unlocked AFAIK) ran out about 57c under full load with stock cooler.

So then I grabbed a Cooler Master v6 from NewEgg for about $50.
It's so big, my case won't close anymore, so running with door off.
New CPU temps were low 30s at full load w/ Prime95.

After some reading and experimentation, I went back to the bios.
I turned CPU Overclocking to manual.
Set CPU Overvoltage to 1.45.
Set Multiplier to 20x.
Now I'm at 4ghz w/ 6 cores.
New CPU temp at full load w/ Prime95 is 47-50c.
Ran through 3DMark06 with no problems.
At this stage CPU-Z identifies the CPU as 1600T.

Left it running overnight defragging the main drive (not running Prime95, wasn't that brave yet).
It seems stable and idles at about 35c and maxes out at about 50c.
I will run an overnight Prime95 test soon.
With all fans at %100 it's pretty loud, but I don't mind.
Best birthday upgrade yet!
This little upgrade may warrant a new case. :)

Not sure I want to push the limits any further considering this is a pretty sweet spot for this chip.
Is there anything I should watch out for with this build?

Last edited:
Passing Prime95 for two minutes is not an indicator that you are anywhere close to stable nor does it give you a good indicator of what max temps will be. Passing Prime95 for 20 minutes will ensure you are close to stable and will give you max temps within 2c of what they will be in a much longer stress test.

And one other caution: When you take side panel off your case, you disrupt air airflow over the motherboard components which can cause them to run hotter than normal. If I were you, I get that new case sooner than normal - and get one at least 8" wide to accommodate that tall cooler and make sure it has lots of fan mounts.

Did you check the differential between core temps CPU temps before you unlocked the cores? That differential stays the same whether or not you run the CPU as a four core or a six core and comes in handy when you unlock the cores because after that the core temp monitoring function is disabled. Core temp are the critical ones, if the sensor is calibrated accurately, that is.

Passing Prime95 for two minutes is not an indicator that you are anywhere close to stable nor does it give you a good indicator of what max temps will be. Passing Prime95 for 20 minutes will ensure you are close to stable and will give you max temps within 2c of what they will be in a much longer stress test.

And one other caution: When you take side panel off your case, you disrupt air airflow over the motherboard components which can cause them to run hotter than normal. If I were you, I get that new case sooner than normal - and get one at least 8" wide to accommodate that tall cooler and make sure it has lots of fan mounts.

Did you check the differential between core temps CPU temps before you unlocked the cores? That differential stays the same whether or not you run the CPU as a four core or a six core and comes in handy when you unlock the cores because after that the core temp monitoring function is disabled. Core temp are the critical ones, if the sensor is calibrated accurately, that is.
I will run an overnight Prime95 test soon.

Also, not exactly "2c"...I'd say "a few" as it can be quite "a few" :D

In my experience it has been about 2c within what a much longer test will achieve. Around the forum you will sometimes see the experienced overclockers talk about the "Prime95 10 minute test" which is a quickie approximating what max temps will be during longer tests.

Yes, I saw his comment about planning to run an overnight Prime95 test but I also saw he was getting excited about his overclock when his pics showed only a two minute Prime95 test run. I think OP will find very quickly he is not nearly as stable as he thinks he is.

That screenshot was just "landing on the moon".
When I run Prime95, I never run it for less than 30 minutes.
2 hours or more is what I consider "stable".
At the beginning of Prime95 it ran at about 49C, after over 30 minutes, 51c was maximum.
There were times that is seemed to "settle down" and sit at a happy 47c well after 30 minutes, and no errors in Prime95 or worker threads disabled.

My normal case is an old battle torn XKroma with plenty of custom fans and smoke tested.
As soon as I took the door off, I lost all the custom airflow work.
Yeah, I'm going to need that case soon for airflow.
The cheap case I'm eyeballing is a RAIDMAX Blackstorm that is 8" wide (like u recommend).
I'm new to these giant coolers, is 8" gonna be enough for that V6?

I did try and keep an eye for a CPU/Core differential (assuming you mean the difference between the core and cpu temps).
I also read a bit trying to find some math that would help me calculate the unreadable core temps, but nothing solid.
The best I could tell was the CPU temp (socket?) "seemed" to run 10c hotter than the cores, but that was with the stock cooler.
Temperatures got so low w/ the new cooler, seeing the CPU (again, socket?) max out at 51c, I stopped paying attention to the apparent differential and felt safe.
NB is running at stock 2000mhz, 10x.
The machine hasn't been shut down since the OP and has since compiled large apps (game engine tools) in Visual Studio 2008 C++ and loaded Left4Dead 2 at max settings just to see how it handled under a "gamer load" (I know, it's not BF3...) since IMO 3DMark06 isn't a true game.
It feels really stable, but I'm not a hardcore overclocker, and I'm still in shock at what this 960T Black Edition has turned into.
This time when I sleep, I will run Prime95 on heat stress test.

Because of the Black Edtion, am I ok to run at 1.45 overvoltage (I read that degradation happens above 1.55)?
All I'm looking for is increased stability and no degradation.
Should I bother tuning ram or NB settings?
Also, is it ok to run 1.45 volts with the same OC settings but only 4 cores active?
I'd like to disable the other 2 cores sometimes to check core temperatures.

I'm not trying to show off, I just think I got VERY lucky and would like to preserve this setup.
Also, I'm trying to find out if I'm doing anything dangerous/damaging to this wonderful little bang for the buck upgrade with my semi-newb OC attempt.
After this Prime95 overnight test, I'll consider it stable, but will be still curious about stability and degradation.
There are things that I just don't know and don't want to lose my new "Beast" over time.

That screenshot was just "landing on the moon".
When I run Prime95, I never run it for less than 30 minutes.
2 hours or more is what I consider "stable".
At the beginning of Prime95 it ran at about 49C, after over 30 minutes, 51c was maximum.
There were times that is seemed to "settle down" and sit at a happy 47c well after 30 minutes, and no errors in Prime95 or worker threads disabled.

My normal case is an old battle torn XKroma with plenty of custom fans and smoke tested.
As soon as I took the door off, I lost all the custom airflow work.
Yeah, I'm going to need that case soon for airflow.
The cheap case I'm eyeballing is a RAIDMAX Blackstorm that is 8" wide (like u recommend). You might also want to look at the Coolermaster HAF 912 for about that same price. I don't know how important sytle, glitz and lights are to you.
I'm new to these giant coolers, is 8" gonna be enough for that V6? The case width need is determined by the fan size of the cooler. All tower coolers using a 120mm fan will need just about 8" or more to accommodate the cooler height since the cooler height is pretty much dictated by the cooler's fan size.

I did try and keep an eye for a CPU/Core differential (assuming you mean the difference between the core and cpu temps).
I also read a bit trying to find some math that would help me calculate the unreadable core temps, but nothing solid.
The best I could tell was the CPU temp (socket?) "seemed" to run 10c hotter than the cores, but that was with the stock cooler. It would be good to recheck this with then new cooler so I would recommend temporarily unlocking the cores and doing it again.
Temperatures got so low w/ the new cooler, seeing the CPU (again, socket?) max out at 51c, I stopped paying attention to the apparent differential and felt safe.
NB is running at stock 2000mhz, 10x.
The machine hasn't been shut down since the OP and has since compiled large apps (game engine tools) in Visual Studio 2008 C++ and loaded Left4Dead 2 at max settings just to see how it handled under a "gamer load" (I know, it's not BF3...) since IMO 3DMark06 isn't a true game.
It feels really stable, but I'm not a hardcore overclocker, and I'm still in shock at what this 960T Black Edition has turned into.
This time when I sleep, I will run Prime95 on heat stress test.

Because of the Black Edtion, am I ok to run at 1.45 overvoltage (I read that degradation happens above 1.55)?
All I'm looking for is increased stability and no degradation. Yes, I think those are good assumptions.
Should I bother tuning ram or NB settings? CPUNB, yes. Ram, maybe.
Also, is it ok to run 1.45 volts with the same OC settings but only 4 cores active? Yes
I'd like to disable the other 2 cores sometimes to check core temperatures.

I'm not trying to show off, I just think I got VERY lucky and would like to preserve this setup.
Also, I'm trying to find out if I'm doing anything dangerous/damaging to this wonderful little bang for the buck upgrade with my semi-newb OC attempt.
After this Prime95 overnight test, I'll consider it stable, but will be still curious about stability and degradation.
There are things that I just don't know and don't want to lose my new "Beast" over time.

Last edited:
Thanks for the answers Trents.
The Cooler Master 912 looks like the perfect case for me too.
I assume CPUNB tuning would be for increased stability?
I'll jump on that next.
After I test, I'll post my results on the cpu/core difference with the new cooler.
Not an overnight run yet, but I'm happy.

Don't want to show off? Hell you should!

Am I reading that right - you hit 4ghz by just upping the CPU multiplier? Wow

Bumping up the CPUNB voltage is mainly for stability improvement but bumping up the frequency a little to say (2400-2600 mhz) does help memory performance as well. I find that 1.225v is about right on the 960T. More than that can actually decrease stability and less that may not cover the increase on CPUNB frequency should you choose to do that. I also find bumping up the HT Link frequency to about 2200 with no voltage increase helps with stability.

Pushed my CPUNB frequency to 2600 and all is well.
However I have found an issue I haven't heard about with this combo.
*TRENTS, NEED YOUR INPUT!*
This motherboard is rated at 125watts.
In my current state the CPU takes 156watts.
I have been playing BF3, BFBC2, compiling, running bench & torture tests and leaving it on overnight with absolutely no problems.
So, I decided to touch the power mosfets...
They are FRIGGIN' HOT!!!
So, I locked the 2 extra cores back down until I get some answers.
I'm assuming "get a higher rated motherboard or mosfet heatsinks" will be the answer, but I need to hear it from a vet.
Also, I can't afford another motherboard, so the mosfet heatsinks are my only viable option.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835708011 is well within my price range.
Btw, thanks Trents, bought that HAF 912 case with a couple 200mm fans and upgraded a couple of the 120's.
Best cheap case ever.

Last edited:
I hate to post other OC website info, but this stuff seems important for users of this motherboard who intend to unlock the extra cores.
AMD Motherboard VRM information list.
About VRMs & Mosfets / Motherboard Safety with 125W+ TDP processors.

The M5A78L-M LX PLUS is a 3+1 motherboard supposedly rated at 125watts (only because of Over Current Protection).
The OCP will throttle or even shut down the board if there is a safety issue.

My CPU speed is throttling even if it is stone cold!
Over Current Protection (OCP) is something I have recently been examining. Protection features exist against VRM overheating/overloading depending on motherboard model and brand. I believe it is a crucial feature on motherboards today, because this is the function that will protect your VRMs from a catastrophic failure. This is why I have never seen ASUS boards fail even if people take a lowly 3+1 ASUS boards and try to overclock a Phenom II x6 on it; ASUS boards feature this technology, it is a part of the PWM controller design. OCP can work in various ways; one of the ways it works is it downclocks the CPU speed & voltage - via cool'n'quiet or it's own function - if the VRM temperatures are detected as too high (similar to if CPU temps are too high), until they can recuperate and lower in temperature. As a result, it can reduce performance during a full load scenario. It is also how ASUS gets away with rating a few select 3+1 phase AMD motherboards at 125W, though at times the OCP may kick in too often at load even at stock speed/stock cooler and the rating would've been slightly improper for the board (there is no 3+1 phase board ready for 125W processors). Another common way is a full board shutdown; if MOSFETs are overloaded suddenly to the point where immediate shutdown is needed for protection (i.e. beginning an OCCT run on a 3+1 power phase on a Phenom II x6 OC'ed and at 1.5V), then OCP will kick in and the board will shut down to protect itself. ASRock boards and some Gigabyte boards are known for this. Some boards will do this past a certain point. Others don't. OCN members and I have found that most recent MSI AMD boards feature NO protection of any sort against VRM failure/over current/over temperature, and this is likely why a majority of the catastrophic failures in the horror stories list are MSI boards. At the moment I and others have been trying to find out which brands/specific motherboards do use over current protection, and we are listing them down for future reference. Once that is done, take it at heart to purchase a board with OCP for your own safety and for the best confidence in overclocking.

I haven't noticed any throttling in CPU-Z and I am not running Cool'N'Quiet.
I'm still just worried about "The candle that burns twice as bright..." (how ironic too, 4x3ghz = 12ghz and 6x4ghz = 24ghz).

Nice, thanks for the heads up on the sinks.
Just saw what motherboard you are running, it's 4+1 and 140watts and it has heatsinked VRM.
You don't have any worries running all 6 cores right?

I think its a 5+1. I only ran it as a six core for a few days at 3.8 ghz. I actually found it gave me better performance in the kind of computing I do as four core at 4.1 ghz. Definitely snappier in general computing. Of course, in something like AV rendering the six core mode would perform better but in general computing (and games but I am not a gamer) running as a four core at a higher clock is the way to go. The NB and mosfet/VRM sinks did not feel any warmrer to me as a six core than as a four core but they were kind of warm either way. What really brought the sink temps down was moving my video card from the PCI-e 16x slot down to the PCI-e 4x slot. Since I don't do any video intensive tasks it was a no brainer for me.

Good day

I am seeking help on how to sqweez more out of my CPU . using Phenom II X4 960T on ASUS M5A78L , i am not a PC guy but i can manage to fallow instructions if they are clear

i watched a Video on youtube and got the CPu up to 3.15

as far as the unleash method goes every time i enable it my pc shuts down like a thunder hit it from the sky , last time i tryied to enable it again ,, it rests all my settings in the BIOS ,, but this has been going on since day one , therefore i have not used the unleash method ..

i would Like to know if any one here can give me steps on how to over clock it a Little more

I am playing FSX and i have asked on that Board for help but 90% have intel

thank you

:welcome: to thr forum Firas
My first suggestion would be to start a new thread of your own.
Then have a read through this
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596023
It'll help you understand alot of the terms and give you a good understanding of what we're gonna do.
Next also put up a sig like you see at the bottom of my post. It helps us help you
It would also help if you downlod HWmonitor(free version) Cpuz and Prime 95.
There's still more but this is a good start :salute:

^Yep, thes are wise words (could not expect less from someone wth such a name as Johan ;))

Ok thank you for the reply Johan45

I have updated my SIG as you told me and i have downloaded the software as you asked

and i am ready to receive your instructions :) will be a good Student :)

Back