• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unofficial Wolfdale E8400/E8500 OC Reports

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
CPU: E8400
ES/Retail: Retail
Batch #: Q743A756
Ship/Packaging Date: 12/27/07
Voltage(s) (Stock/OC'ed): 1.06V CPU-z(1.2V Bios)/1.21V CPU-z (1.37V Bios)
Frequency(ies) (OC'ed):4050Mhz+ (still going)
Motherboard: Abit IP35-Pro
BIOS: Beta 16.04

-----
*Extra* Memory(ies) (Timing(s)): 5-5-5-12-42 (Currently only for testing)
*Extra* Memory(ies) (Voltage(s)): 2.2V (Currently only for testing)
*Extra* Third Party Cooling Solution: Thermalright 120 Extreme w/ 120mm Sthyce Fan
*Extra* Paste(s)/Compound(s)/Other(s): MX-2
*Extra* VID: 0.975

Just got it, not sure what the temps are on it since with Core Temp 0.96.1 it reads 42C and with 0.95.4 it reads 37C constant :/ Guess thats Vista 64-bit working right there hehe or the bios which ever it is, wait wait I see 43C spiking on the core at stock speed. Not sure about the temps though its cold in here 64F currently so I should be safe to play with the OC, going to crank her up here in a sec.

Hey HousERat, look at that batch numbers very close to each other only 8 away.

Edit: Updated 1-24-08 7:16PM
Still running got it up to 4.05Ghz with some playing on the memory settings since thats what killed me before. CoreTemp finally started giving me readings at 3.6Ghz with 1.3V set bios I was getting 44-48C and now with 4.05Ghz with 1.37V set bios im getting much closer temps at 51-53C. I like it :) Warmer than my other chip but also much faster so what can I complain about :) I'll do prime testing here over night if it works at these settings, then work on it from there since I want to game a bit tonight ;)

Last edited:
CPU: e8400
Batch #:Q740A523
Ship/Packaging Date:12/27/2007
Voltage(s) (Stock/OC'ed):1.225/1.40
Frequency(ies) (OC'ed):3.8GHz
Motherboard:Gigabyte ABit IP35-E
BIOS: beta 16 version 1
-----
*Extra* Memory(ies) (Timing(s)): 5-5-5-12
*Extra* Memory(ies) (Voltage(s)):
*Extra* Third Party Cooling Solution:Artic Cooler 7
*Extra* Paste(s)/Compound(s)/Other(s):AS5
-----
Additional Comment(s):

My Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R went belly up, so I traded it out for the ABit IP35-E with the latest beta bios. Running at 3.8GHz so far, having had a lot of time to play with the settings, hopefully I can hit 4GHz again.

Last edited:
Batch #:Q745A740
Ship/Packaging Date: 01/11/08
Voltage(s) (Stock/OC'ed): 1.112 V/1.375 V
Frequency(ies) (OC'ed): 3.6 GHz 24/7 at 1.28 volts, 3.92 GHz Bench (super pi 1m stable - 11.675)
Motherboard:ASUS P5K64WS
BIOS: 0504

_______
*Extra* Memory(ies) (Timing(s)): OCZ Reaper DDR3 6-5-5-20 7-7-7-21
*Extra* Memory(ies) (Voltage(s)): 1.9 V (1020 MHz)2.2 V (1140 MHz)
*Extra* Third Party Cooling Solution: STOCK
*Extra* Paste(s)/Compound(s)/Other(s): AS5
-----
Additional Comment(s):Only the beginning.. Did some more testing and am bummed the P5K64 WS has BIOS CPU voltage issues. I have the voltage set to 1.7 in the BIOS, but it registers in the AI suite as 1.4320. This means I need to wait for a BIOS update. I have been attempting to get 3.9 stable on 1.43 and it has proven difficult. ASUS update your BIOS!!

Last edited:
Batch #:Q745A740
Ship/Packaging Date: 01/11/08
Voltage(s) (Stock/OC'ed): 1.112 V/1.375 V
Frequency(ies) (OC'ed): 3.6 GHz 24/7 at 1.375 volts, 3.84 GHz Bench (super pi 1m stable)
Motherboard:ASUS P5K64WS
BIOS: 0504

_______
*Extra* Memory(ies) (Timing(s)): OCZ Reaper DDR3 6-5-5-20
*Extra* Memory(ies) (Voltage(s)): 1.9 V (1020 MHz)
*Extra* Third Party Cooling Solution: STOCK
-----
Additional Comment(s):Only the beginning.. :thup:

Oh snap, how is that DDR3 memory performing?

Batch #: Q746A514
Ship/Packaging Date: 1/11/08
Voltage(s) (Stock/OC'ed): 1.225V/1.37
Frequency(ies) (OC'ed): 3.6ghz/4.0ghz
Motherboard: Abit IP35 Pro
BIOS: 14
-----
*Extra* Memory(ies) (Timing(s)): 5-5-5-15
*Extra* Memory(ies) (Voltage(s)): 2.1 V
*Extra* Third Party Cooling Solution: Ninja Rev. B
-----

Additional Comment(s): Idles 44C with cooling in sig according to Everest. 68C Max in Orthos. Base of my heatsink feels nowhere near this temp..........

Last edited:
Oh my god...

I'm trading my Q6600(G0) for one of these!
Shure 3GHz is fun, but 4GHz is crazy fun!
Mabe I'll wait... but It's going to be hard, soo many gigahertz... GIGAHERTZ!
No, no... I MUST wait... I can't take advantage of such power until a new video card comes out... how long until a better video card? How long until IMC comes to Intel? How long until AMD whips out something good? Is clock for clock performance really greater with this against a 65nm, 4MB C2D?
Soo many questions... the answers must be known...
Mabe I'll just get a 3870X2 with good memory and forget about these amazing processors altogether until there's a new architecture.

/crazy moment

Shell yes clock per clock performance is better than the 65nm ones ;) You must change now mwahahahah

Shell yes clock per clock performance is better than the 65nm ones ;) You must change now mwahahahah
I will the SECOND someone is willing to trade procs, Mabe I could make use of the classies...
Mail me an 8400, I mail you a q6600... mabe a few $ to go with it...
Hmm, I don't have heat... never needed it until now...
I'm going to see my friends are up on the deal first...

How much of a clock for clock increase is there? If it's =>%5 I'm jumping on it, otherwise I'm better sticking quadcore because more and more games are supporting quad, and most of my programmes already do.

CPU:e8400
Batch #:Q746A519
Ship/Packaging Date:1/11/08
Voltage(s) (Stock/OC'ed):1.225/1.325
Frequency(ies) (OC'ed):4.05ghz (450x9)
Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo2-FR
BIOS: 1.6
-----
*Extra* Memory(ies) (Timing(s)): 4-4-4-12 @ 900mhz
*Extra* Memory(ies) (Voltage(s)):2.1v
*Extra* Third Party Cooling Solution:CoolerMaster Hyper 212
-----
Additional Comment(s): 8+ hours Orthos stable at 1.335v and 4.05ghz 48-49C full load temps via coretemp, 4.2ghz 1+ hour Orthos and stable with OCCT at 1.425v. However heat goes up 10c under load with the added .1v to 58-60C load temps.

And before anyone asks, yes I can run 4.2Ghz with my FSB at 525. Memory is at 1050Mhz with 5-5-5-15 timings (might be able to tighten them, have not fooled much). As you can see though the superPi times are .4 seconds slower with the higher memory speeds, yet looser timings and higher FSB. Interesting.

Last edited:
I will the SECOND someone is willing to trade procs, Mabe I could make use of the classies...
Mail me an 8400, I mail you a q6600... mabe a few $ to go with it...
Hmm, I don't have heat... never needed it until now...
I'm going to see my friends are up on the deal first...

How much of a clock for clock increase is there? If it's =>%5 I'm jumping on it, otherwise I'm better sticking quadcore because more and more games are supporting quad, and most of my programmes already do.

Depends on application, anywhere from 0.10% to 15%, avg is ~5-6% depending on whatever you do. (I've seen 10% listed but, imo I don't think it's that much)

Apparently this chip is immune to phase, I knew it had the force
lightsaber2.gif

I wouldn't count phase out on just his results, not trying to knock his phase but its C2D rez'ults were rather low iirc.

reserved

after seeing these results i may actually get a E8500. For the price you cant pass up the E8400 fo sho!

ES/Retail:Retail
Batch #: Q746A519
Ship/Packaging Date: 01/16/08
Voltage(s) (Stock/OC'ed):1.4v BIOS/ 1.36 Actual
Frequency(ies) (OC'ed): 450x9
Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo2-FR
BIOS: v1.7
-----
*Extra* Memory(ies) (Timing(s)): 4-5-5-15 (for testing)
*Extra* Memory(ies) (Voltage(s)): 2.2v
*Extra* Third Party Cooling Solution: Swiftech Apogee Drive 350 + MCR-220 rad
-----
Additional Comment(s):20 hours Orthos stable.

Last edited:
I will update my stats when I get home tonight, but I spent the majority of last night lapping my E8400 and my Apogee GT. Turns out that neither of them was very flat, which kept resulting in heat issues that I previously couldn't explain.

I also retrofitted the absolutely stupid mounting system on the Apogee GT as well, so I should be able to get a lot better mount on the very first try, as well as more even clamping pressure. She's at home right now Orthosing at 489 * 9 (4401mhz) at 1.425 :)

Oh snap, how is that DDR3 memory performing?

@ 3.6 [superpi 1M - 12.8s (450x8)]
@ 3.8 [superpi 1M - 12.1s (425x9)]

Will post more info when I have done more testing. ;) Strange thing I have noticed is this chip _appears_ to be idling at 10c (on stock cooler :eek:) - Max load doesnt go over 40c. Can these temps be correct?

@ 3.6 [superpi 1M - 12.8s (450x8)]
@ 3.8 [superpi 1M - 12.1s (425x9)]

Will post more info when I have done more testing. ;) Strange thing I have noticed is this chip _appears_ to be idling at 10c (on stock cooler :eek:) - Max load doesnt go over 40c. Can these temps be correct?

Depends, is your room is ~9c? ;) I I remember my math right, that's like 48f; I dunno if I could stand it that cold in my room, but you may be a better man than I!

Otherwise, it's likely that something isn't reading your temps right. Where are you obtaining those numbers from? The latest version of CoreTemp would be the best / most accurate source.

my temps were that low before I started upping the voltage, now they are at a simmering 20c idle 40c loaded

Asus AI/Bios Hardware monitor - 10c
Coretemp (unsure version) - 40c / 100c ??

CoreTemp is the accurate one of these two; it reads the temperatures directly from the registers of the digital thermal diodes built into the CPU die. There's one diode per core, so you'll have two temperatures: one for each core.

You'll also have a TJunction of probably 105c (all the E8400's Ive seen screencaps of thus far are all 105c). That's the maximum thermal limit before throttling begins on whichever core hits it.

So, if you are getting core reading temps of ~40c in CoreTemp at idle, then that's far more believable on air cooling.

Edit
If you're unsure of the version, then checking the TJunction temp reading should validate if it's correct. If your TJunction is not reading 105c, then you need a newer version to read your CPU temps correctly.

CoreTemp is the accurate one of these two; it reads the temperatures directly from the registers of the digital thermal diodes built into the CPU die. There's one diode per core, so you'll have two temperatures: one for each core.

You'll also have a TJunction of probably 105c (all the E8400's Ive seen screencaps of thus far are all 105c). That's the maximum thermal limit before throttling begins on whichever core hits it.

So, if you are getting core reading temps of ~40c in CoreTemp at idle, then that's far more believable on air cooling.

Edit
If you're unsure of the version, then checking the TJunction temp reading should validate if it's correct. If your TJunction is not reading 105c, then you need a newer version to read your CPU temps correctly.

CoreTemp has to be reading improper TJunction value. As well the motherboard bios could be affecting the temp shown for the CPU as well. Its really wierd since right now CoreTemp won't register anything for me below 42C but when the CPU is heated up it seems to read fine. So who knows.

Back