• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unsolved Mysteries: PC edition

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
How old is the modem? That could be the problem when online gaming. Do you ever reset it? Clear its cache?
Have you tried running the computer out of the case? When I build a new computer I always start it out of the case first. You just never know if you got a bad MB.

The Modem is only about a year old. It's provided by Time Warner, who is my broadband provider. We've reset it many times, and even called Time Warner up and had them resend the signal the other night. None of it helped.

Sorry, I assumed you were talking about an internal modem(dont know anyone that still uses one but wasnt sure). Definitely running out of ideas here. Any results from memtest?

I noticed you said you downloaded the game, however, I do not see any mention of a virus scan or anything of the sort. I know the first thing most of you guys are thinking is "but he reformatted the hard drive", BUT, maybe the game/updates are corrupted or possibly could it be some sort of this?

Absolutely, especially if you are running XP, network problems can cause all sorts of problems withthe desktop experience.

I just upgraded to an N class card, because my uSB g adapter overheats...

Now everything is going fine, I am gaming and than internet drops out, sometimes the game crashes, other times it just lags real bad until it reconnects. (And I am not talking about playing an online game...)

Could be worse though, on unix, I did not have an ethernet cable hooked up and the thing refused to run X server (the GUI).

If you changed everything else, that is all I can think of to try out.

Best bet, is get a router set IP static on your BOX and let the router deal with hangups. Will at least prevent the stuttering. This will prove it is TWC's fault and have them come out and test the lines and the modem.

also 600W thermal take might not be enough depending on the brand. If its an older toughpower series, that is only about 400W max of 12v power.Which is mostly what modern units need.

Last edited:
My power supply is a ThermalTake. It's a good brand from what I've heard and read. People don't give them enough credit but it should be in the same league as Coolermaster and Corsair on PSU's. It's a very quality built PSU and wasn't cheap either.
It's possible the PSU is suspect. ThermalTake isn't generally a well-respected brand...I certainly wouldn't put them in the same league as Corsair's Seasonic-sourced PSUs. And I wouldn't put Coolermaster in the same category as Corsair, either. What model is your PSU?

From that article:
In the past, Thermaltake has gotten a lot of grief. They had been known to sell power supplies that were "behind the times" in terms of the ATX standards, but dressed up in a lot of glorious bling giving the power supplies an appeal to the naive. Certainly the best way to shake that old stigma is to release a product that is a no holds barred kick butt power supply. The Toughpower 750W fits that bill with plenty of power, good efficiency, active power factor correction, and solid construction.
That's what I'm basing my comment on. The Toughpower series has done well, but as far as I know the rest of their PSUs might not be up to snuff. They sell a few other models - that's why I asked for the OP's specific model.

Point taken, though - they're not ALL bad.

hey lelouch, Brendan here. if you see this tread you can get my msn through my profile. i'd love to help you like i did last time.

could be an asain on the other end slurpping a Big gulp pushing some funny button everytime you loggin to see if you will go out and buy FFXII?

ok ok not funny, it seems you have tried everything with each component, has there ever been a problem like this with an online game? server side? change your ip? not really sure what to tell you.

try loading wow (don't get addicted) and see if a different online game yields the same results.

I agree with ahgemon..I think at this point it is a conflict with the game (it is 7 years old) and your newer system. Some older games were simply not meant to be run on new machines (quad core, high end graphics, the clocks at which all of these run). Have you tried running another game? That would have been my first step personally, If you can play call of duty 4 at a solid 60-100fps no matter what is going on in the game, then you can reasonably infer that it is something specific to FFXI (doesn't have to be cod4, just an example).

Back