• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade from 4770 to 6790

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jcpangs

Here is my Setup

Proc: Phenom II x3 720 2.8ghz stable overclock to 3.4ghz
Mobo: Asus M4A89GTD Pro Usb3.0
Ram: 4gb DDR3 1600
VCard: Sapphire 4770 GDRR5.

Im using dual 17inch monitors on my current setup. I used it for gaming, internet and school programing/projects (thats why i have 2 monitors). I found out that 6790 has been release and its quite affordable. The only question I have is: is it really recommended? I mean, will i notice any improvement in terms of gaming? I do a lot of gaming and my 4770 still makes me happy, will upgrading to 6790 make me happier? I would probably get another monitor for eyefinity setup in the future. Which really tempt me to get this one. But if its not worth it or if theres any other recommended card it will be really helpful..

Last edited:
Read the review on the front page about the card. He didnt do any multimonitor benches but.. should help out.

I wouldnt reccomend such a budget card for gaming on dual monitors unless thats all you want to afford. ;)

In all honesty, save up a bit more, and get a nice HD 6870 or HD 6950 if you can.. But you seem to like budget cards.. Dual 17 inch monitors... What's the res on those? If they're 1024x768, your CPU is doing most of the work anyway, and the gains from HD 4770 to a HD 6790 will be minimal IMO.

That said if you're using both together... 2048x768.. Then the upgrade might be worth it (Though I personally wouldn't use 2 screens for gaming like that?)

2 screen for gaming = stupid and impossible! U need 1, 3 or 5. Even i wont recommend playing with 6 screens unless they have no edges space.

A 6850 its good and very cheap or get a 6870with a 15%-35% more performance.

Its not impossible.. I've seen it before. But it looks rather silly, and due to the bezels of the screen you can't see the center.. >.>

Im not sure how well a 6870 would even play on say 2560x1024... not terribly well I would imagine...I think you should go a bit bigger on the GPU even with a 17" multi monitor setup for gaming. 6950 or 560Ti.

shooter with your aim split? before u het a 6screen monitor, its far far better to get a single huge LED screen 62" +/- or just 3 42" screens.
For working and other thing 6 screens would be cool.

Im not sure how well a 6870 would even play on say 2560x1024... not terribly well I would imagine...

a single 6870 can handle almost everything at 1920x1080. I will need to lower any filter in extremes games, thats all. Just at Metro 2033 u also need to lower a little the graphics.

I have 4x 6870 (in CF and single) and 1x 6950. None of them work great at 3 full hd monitors. 6870x2 have great power!! but lack of memory (1gb) so u just CANT max everything (all except filters). And 6950 have 2 gb but i lack some power. It seems u need a 2x 6950 2gb in order to run 3 monitors at high res with everything maxed (filters, etc).

Oh well, I guess I can spend more on a 6870 if its gonna improve a lot. Im also planning to get a 3rd monitor Samsung Px2370, but I wouldnt use it for eyefinity using my 2 other 17inch. I may use them though for work instead. Thanks guys. I guess the saying is true, You get what you pay for

Back