• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade from Intel 2550K

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cpyfx

Is there a cpu today that has as much of an impact as the 2550K had way back with price and performance? My present video card is the GTX-460 with I think 768mb. Will this card perform better than say the AMD 5600G onboard graphics? I am hoping to just upgrade the cpu, motherboard and memory for now and when the GPU prices come back to earth I will upgrade video. I would like to keep the price in the mid range unless you think it's not worth it from the 2550K. How would this setup play Flight Simulator.

Here are the specs for MS Flight Sim 2020. I built my Gamer (in sig) to meet the Ideal Spec, but the Recommended Spec should be a much more affordable build.

I don't know how the integrated graphics of the 5600G compare against the RX 570 or GTX 770.

Flight-Simulator-System-Requirements.jpg

Is there a cpu today that has as much of an impact as the 2550K had way back with price and performance? My present video card is the GTX-460 with I think 768mb. Will this card perform better than say the AMD 5600G onboard graphics? I am hoping to just upgrade the cpu, motherboard and memory for now and when the GPU prices come back to earth I will upgrade video. I would like to keep the price in the mid range unless you think it's not worth it from the 2550K. How would this setup play Flight Simulator.
Not exactly sure what mid-range price means to you, but look into something like a 5600X processor ($300), B550 board ($150-200), 16GB of 3200MHz+ RAM ($80), and a GTX 1660 or similar locally for $200 or so.

The more reading I do and check prices for a mid range GPU, I am beginning to think that I should wait until the GPU prices come down or get the X box with Flight Sim. I don't even know if my power supply will work with an upgrade.
Post magically merged:

How would this set up be?

Last edited:
That wouldn't be bad at all, the 1660 Super is a solid GPU. If you want a decent upgrade from that, you could get this.

Or if you don't mind spending $1350, you can get this with an i7-11700 and RTX3060

If you're going for a wholesale system upgrade, right now prebuilt is the only way to get a decent GPU at a reasonable price. All depends on your price range

Micro center has the i7-10700K for $199 but from what I have read it's power hungry and I didn't want to get a new ps at this time. Would this cpu, new mb, new memory and my gtx 460 hold me over until the gpu prices come down?

The GTX 460 is definitely long in the tooth, I can't say for sure if it would/wouldn't hold you over.

If you don't want to go with a prebuilt like the ones discussed above then I'd go with new CPU/MB/RAM and get a new cheaper GPU to hold you over till prices come back around.
Add up your $$ though for the partial system with a stop-gap GPU, and see if it's even much different in price from one of the prebuilts above.

I actually found a game reviewer running a bunch of games on a GTX 460 in 2020. MSFS2020 is the first one in this video. He's running 720p low & getting ~30fps. Personally, I wouldn't be happy with that, but on the other hand it will be like have a new sim once you upgrade the graphics.

I got lucky building my rig, but if I had missed the window for a GPU I would have been looking hard at those PowerSpec pre-built PCs.

I just recently got my wife an ASUS GA15DK with a 5800X and 3070 because you can't get good GPU's for a reasonable price any other way than investing a ton of time which I don't have these days. Hated to buy pre-built, but when just the GPU is selling for more than half of the entire system and the old system could already stand to be upgraded... you buy the whole thing.

There isn't a lot of choices that are in stock at Micro Center and others and this maybe due to Christmas buying so I am wondering if I should wait a month or so and see what's available then.

There isn't a lot of choices that are in stock at Micro Center and others and this maybe due to Christmas buying so I am wondering if I should wait a month or so and see what's available then.
Don't limit yourself to just MC, check Newegg and other similar stores also. There's stock out there.

I have a Micro Center near me and the the prices of the 5600G is $30 cheaper and the i7 10700K is $130 cheaper but some motherboards are cheaper on Newegg and Amazon. The i7 10700K is hard to ignore at $200. Would this be a good base to start with and maybe use the onboard video for now?

I can't see your MC cart, but with the Newegg comment I was referring to prebuilt. You'll get the best CPU prices at MC, no question.

I see it when I click it, but it is the i7-11700K, Asus Z590-A Prime MB and 16mb Crucial Ballistic Gaming for $584 bundled price. For some reason the i7 10700 for $199 is not showing up anymore.

Yeah, the Purepowers were MEH at best back in the day. A decade old model is playing Russian roulette. lol

Any recommendations for new build for around $800-1000. I am trying to find a GPU that's cheap that will hold me over until GPU prices come down. I refuse to pay $700-800 for a $300 GPU.
I forgot how much research went into building the one I have now. It may not be the best but it was mostly used for business and web brousing. I would like a system I can do flight sim on.

I ended up buying i5-2600k, MSI Pro Z690 DDR4, G.Skill 16GB 3200, Samsung 980 EVO 1TB, Noctua NH-U9S, EVGA Supernova 650W 80 plus Gold and Lian Li 011 Mini case. I am going to use onboard graphics for now until the GPU prices come down this summer if what I read is true.
This should last me 10 years.

Back