• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade from Win 7 OEM to Retail

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ewillis09

Registered
I have Windows 7 Home OEM installed. If I purchase the full retail version (in case I have to replace a HDD or motherboard) could I simply update my product key in the OS to the key on the retail box, reboot and have the retail version running (similar to how the anytime upgrades work)? Or do I have to do a full reinstall of Windows? If the latter is the case, I would think I'd be better of shelving the retail edition I purchase and only activating and reinstalling windows when I really need to (after replacing any major hardware). That is if the license keys don't expire for a period after the purchase.
:bang head Thoughts?

The keys don't expire. To my knowledge the only way that Microsoft has set aside for you to change keys is if your key is listed as not being genuine. There used to be a application to switch keys but I am unsure if that exists for Windows 7 and it was def not a legit program and may have contained viruses (not from the original developer but along the way).

As far as the HDD or motherboard failing... If you switch a single product out it is unlikely that you will have an issue. I know someone will jump on and say you will have an issue but I have on multiple occasions swapped out just a motherboard and had no issue. As for the hard drive I know for certain JUST the HD swap out will not be a problem.

I know things are different for OEM and Retail but if you mean OEM that you purchased if the key ever fails you at least try calling the hotline. If you have an OEM computer that came with Windows 7 then you may be out of luck but know this I had a high end i7 laptop screen fail and to fix the video card drivers so that an external display would function on it I had to place the drive into my other PC and boot from it. After doing what I needed I was able to put the drive back into the laptop and boot from it. So there are at least some cases where even OEM that came with an OEM don't fail on a motherboard swap out.

On most cases with Windows 8 however if I take a HD from one PC and place it another it does not boot. (All my computers are wildly different but I don't know the real reason it does not boot).

So the Anytime upgrade works for going from HOME OEM (purchased as a separate OEM product when I built my computer), to Pro retail. My understanding is that the anytime upgrade (even when going from Home to Pro) never goes from OEM to OEM, but from OEM to retail. Is that correct? If so, I'm sure I could use ISO files (downloadable online), or create a boot disk after the update, to use to reinstall windows 7 with a valid key if I ever have to in the future.

The question about HOME OEM to PRO RETAIL should be directed at Microsoft I do not want to say one way or the other. As far as downloading the DISC... I only really recommend getting the disc from Microsoft. When you buy it electronically you have permanent access to it. You should ask if that will be the case if you do the anytime upgrade.

As for re-installing... the electronic key validation system should recognize that most or all of your hardware is the same. If it does not it will prompt you to call a telephone number. You will either be asked how many PCs you have installed the software on (say 1) or you will find yourself speaking to a person. If it asks you how many PCs you have installed it on and the answer is 1 then it will read you a bunch of numbers to type in and then it will activate.

I do not own any OEM copies of 7 that did not come with a PC but I know people who have received them from Intel as part of a training program and have re-installed on new builds with no problem. I received my copy of XP from Intel a very very long time ago and I had to call in every time I re-installed on new hardware but I was able to every time. Same goes with my Retail copy. Every time I install on new hardware I just have to phone it in. It is really quick if you don't have to talk to anyone.

I don't know for sure if they will re-up you if it is suddenly all new hardware (they don't have to) but I am fairly certain that you would be fine with just a motherboard swap out because of the experience I have had. Also like I said regarding new installs with new hardware all my friends who took part in the Intel training programs over the past 10+ years have had no issues.

Back