• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade Laptop FAN?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

myststix

Disabled
Anyone here ever consider upgrading (or actually performed) a laptop FAN upgrade?

That is, finding a better, faster fan than stock?

I've considered it. It's usually quite a chore just to get to the fan. Generally not worth it since there's not a lot of overclockability anyway. There may be some benefit to upgrading the TIM depending on the gap between the chip(s) and the heatsink assembly.

+1 to upgrading the thermal paste if you can. Many laptops use odd or custom shaped fans that fit the chassis so finding a replacement could be quite difficult, let alone one with any better performance than what comes stock. I just replaced the thermal paste on one of my laptops and the temps have dropped quite noticeably (~4 C at idle). Another thing I have found to help is using a hard surface of some sort to put your laptop on if you don't have one. I have a lap desk that I keep around and that tends to help with the air circulation/intake.

Back