• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade to 990fx or RMA my 890fx board??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

66racer

Registered
Hi guys,

Im thinking I killed my north bridge on my msi 890fxa-gd70. No power up, tested the psu with an antec psu tester and that was ok. When the thing died it was durring prime testing and a burnt smell was from the NB area. NB heatsinks were warmer than normal at those settings too, was trying a new cpu OC. NB Only had 1.25v/2990mhz at the time too. My question is....

My board is only 6 months old. I have never had to RMA something like this. Will msi warranty this? Im thinking of upgrading to a 990fx board too since I want to run BD anyways although msi says this board will support it. The asus cf-v is looking really good though. If MSI will warranty the board will it be new or a reman board? Im thinking I would just sell the one I get from msi to recoup some cost of the asus cf, or should I just roll with the 890fx till the 990fx board selection matures? I wasnt planning on switching till BD launched but now Im in a little fork in the road.

Thanks

My setup is:
msi 890fxa-gd70
1100t x6 (wanna switch to BD when out)
kuhler 920 modded for 2 radiators and small resivour
corsair dominator gt 8GB 1866mhz 9-9-9-24 2t (4dimms)
msi gtx560ti twin frozr ii oc edition
corsair gs800 psu
corsair f120ssd/seagate 1tb 7200rpm hdd
rosewill blackhawk case
win7 pro 64bit

1. I would certainly see if the board can be RMA'd for sale later if nothing else.

2. I certainly would n0t say I was running prime when I smelled smoke. I smell something is all I would say.

3. If possible there is nothing wrong with running an 890 board and cpu while somebody else guinea pigs the maturity of BD. Heck all these 990 boards have been out for sometime now waiting on BD. Who knows what the teething problems maybe when BD finally hits the buy buttons.

Yeah I was gonna say it happened when gaming not on prime lol. I was thinking the 890fxa-gd70 would be worth more now than when BD hits but im thinking im just being impatient. I dunno but with most other things the first BD chips might not even oc as good as a year after production since amd has been pushing things back so much.

Thought I would add I was pretty happy at the rma turnaround time. Although the web page says you can call and dial ext 2 I was frustrated that no one would pick up. Dialed tech support and they said to do it online. Maybe dept cutback? Lol. Anyways did it online around noon and by 530 had an rma number. I am lucky to have Msi a few miles from home and could have made it same day decided to drop off today and they gave me a refurb on the spot. So if you don't need to ship its nearly a one day process but 2 days for me.

I am gonna also wait for a while before going 990fx. Or heck if the 890 runs BD maybe I can skip 990

skipping 990 is what I will probably do

Edit: Since I spent a small fortune on the equipment listed in my sig... I will definitely make do with what I have and probably skip a generation on mobo, graphics, cpu, etc. However, there are those that money is no object, and try out every generation of hardware that comes down the pike, unfortunately, I don't have that luxury.

Last edited:
Yeah Im with you dude, More I read about the 990 it really seems like the 890 with sli support, which I dont need since Im running a single 1920x1080 display....unfortunatly lol

Back