• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade to X99

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blacksun

I have a buyer for my 8350, ram and motherboard.
Also another buyer for my 760.
If all goes well, and I can succesfully sell everything, I can swap to X99 by chipping in 400 ish euros.

Here is what I had in mind.

Asus x99 deluxe
I7 5820k
Crucial ballstic 16Gb DDR4 at 2400 mhz.

Rest of my setup will stay as it is.

I heard good things and bad thing about the motherboard. Should I look elsewhere?

How much Overclocking potential can I expect from my trusty noctua?

Thanks! :)

You'll have to order a mounting kit for your Noctua.
What GPU will you use? X99 has no iGPU.
Why pay that much for the motherboard? A board €100 cheaper would do the job if you don't need some certain feature of the Deluxe.

The gpu will be my 290x

( I still have the intel mounting bracket that my noctua came with.)

What motherboard do you suggest?
( I would like good overcloking capabilities and support for 2 way crossfire/Sli).

2011 is a different mounting bracket from the standard Intel one. You'll need to buy it.

X99 Extreme4 will be plenty for any ambient overclock.

What PSU are you on?

I'll check when i get home, but im pretty sure that my noctua came with the 2011 bracket.
Thank you for the quick replies. :)

You can save some bucks on the RAM. You won't see any performance improvement with 2400 mhz RAM vs. lower latency 1866 or even 1600 and you won't see any performance difference using 16gb as opposed to 8gb unless you are doing unusually heavy memory intensive tasks like very high end photo editing, Autocad or file compression/decompression. Don't believe me? Research it. I did and I'm selling my 16gb of 2400 mhz RAM. I moved to 8gb of 1600 mhz CL7 and my Cinebench scores are exactly the same as before. You might also get a better overclock on the CPU because of less strain on the IMC.

You can save some bucks on the RAM. You won't see any performance improvement with 2400 mhz RAM vs. lower latency 1866 or even 1600 and you won't see any performance difference using 16gb as opposed to 8gb unless you are doing unusually heavy memory intensive tasks like very high end photo editing, Autocad or file compression/decompression. Don't believe me? Research it. I did and I'm selling my 16gb of 2400 mhz RAM. I moved to 8gb of 1600 mhz CL7 and my Cinebench scores are exactly the same as before. You might also get a better overclock on the CPU because of less strain on the IMC.

Wrong generation of RAM.

Wrong generation of RAM.

Oops! I see now he's talking about DDR4 2400, not DDR3. Don't know much about DDR4. I haven't run across much commentary or testing analysis of it. Seems like though that even with DDR3 the bandwidth has begun to far outstrip the ability of current single CPU systems to take advantage of it.

Back