• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgraded CPU, now my computer is burning alive.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hey! What happens if I remove that chip...... lol

What's it doing anyways to the rest of them, are they handling a higher load hence the major heat issue on the second bank (this particular one isn't under a sink). And, is it making the weird noise on it's own by cooking? Would you personally buy a second board (same one) for about 100 bucks, or switch to a new combo?

I would bite the bullet sell what you can and move up generation. If you want to save $$ look for something in the 2500k or 3570K socket 1155. Should be able to find board and CPU for less that $300 I would think

IMO nothing wrong with Ryzen, My HTPC/Gamer is a 1600X. Just watch your memory. Most of it is working fine now but the Samsung based will always work better but carries at $50+ premium compared to Hynix. 3200 CL16 Hynix, CL 14 Samsung

I noticed a 1600 and a 1600X but couldn't see much different outside of the clock speeds (and watts)? Is it stock overclocked?

I have never ran anything but intel, well outside of when Athlons first came out. But have noticed they are in a pretty good place these days. However if you think I would be better off with a 2500 / 3570 I will do what you say.

What do you do with the system?
Personally I have nothing against the new Ryzen platfor. It's not Intel but it's not nearly as expensive either and will do you just fine.
The 1600X has higher speeds and no heatsink so you'll need one for AM4
1600 is slower with a heatsink but is overclockable just not likely to get as high as the 1600x would.
I run my system at stock and the 4.1 boost is great for gaming at 1080 so no need to push the CPU further.
The only real benefit with going for the 2500/3570 is you can reuse the ram so it might save a bit of money but if you're willing to upgrade and it's within budget I'd go for the Ryzen.

I only use the computer to play games. But my 920 was actually still doing pretty well. I compared bench scores between it and newer ones and even the 1600 blows it away.

So the 1600X requires a heat sink but doesn't come with one? Is the stock one for the 1600 good enough for minor OC?

Thanks again!

I haven't had first hand experience with it but it should do you fine.

No worries good luck with the new build, any question don't hesitate to post someone will help you out

That's quite the horror story:

As for the Ryzen choice, Absolutely if its within your budget.

the old I7s/xenon's certainly still suffice for today's standards, but it is certainly not recommended to scour for old stock to revive it; Unless your max budget is ~ $50.

I do feel your pain in needing to buy a new architecture when prices are ludicrous as they are, and wish you the best of luck in the purchase!

I can't spend very much, and sadly I did pick up an i7 Xeon to OC for the very purpose of OC. So now I have that sitting around also (and a new cooler). I could get a replacement X58/1366 on ebay for 100-130 bucks. But I guess if I have to spend the money I should go ahead and change things out. I wish I could still use my RAM, although DDR4 is better it still adds a chunk to the cost. But that's how things go of course.

I only use the computer to play games. But my 920 was actually still doing pretty well. I compared bench scores between it and newer ones and even the 1600 blows it away.

So the 1600X requires a heat sink but doesn't come with one? Is the stock one for the 1600 good enough for minor OC?

Thanks again!

I believe so, yes. But realize that the first generation of Ryzen overclock margins are not big anyway. Not like we have been used to seeing before in previous generations of AMD CPUs. The Ryzens come clocked closer to the top right out of the factory. My guess would be you should be able to go from 3.4 to about 3.7 (all cores) on the stock cooler.

The 1600X's base clock is 3.6 GHz already. It will boost to 4 GHz. Stock cooler (for 1600) should allow that to happen. I'd imagine 3.8-3.9 GHz is possible considering it really is stock. :)

Johan mentioned the X doesn't come with a fan / sink? I think both CPUs are only about 30.00 apart (but of course you need a fan). Although I assume a good aftermarket one would help.

It would, but as trents said, these don't really overclock well. They can't get all cores much past 4 GHz in many cases. But still, cooler is better in general and will allow you to reach higher than the stock heatsink.

The 1600X's base clock is 3.6 GHz already. It will boost to 4 GHz. Stock cooler (for 1600) should allow that to happen. I'd imagine 3.8-3.9 GHz is possible considering it really is stock. :)

Yep, my mistake. I was thinking of t he 1600 and didn't even get that one correct as the base for that one is 3200. Put one of them in my wife's computer last summer but I guess the old memory (not RAM) failed me.

How is the stock 1600 fan anyways? And I will go ahead and toss a 1600 in the cart. NOW the big issue is the options on motherboards, do you guys have a suggestion?

What's your budget? Do you want RGB? I had a low-end X370 from MSI that I thought was a really good board functionally but short on extras. The X370 SLI plus. There are also many decent 350 boards. Post some of your options and we can guide you.

I would say 150 or less on the motherboard. Which seems to direct me to B350's. Although I did come across a X370 for 128.00, but I am not sure how much of a performance boost they give over the 350's.

Here are a few boards I have been looking at:
http://a.co/dCgpLN0 - ASUS Prime X370-A

http://a.co/2xLTkQ7 - ASUS ROG Strix B350-F

http://a.co/5klh6dj - ASUS ROG Strix X370-F

I am open to suggestions, but I would really like to keep things 150 or less if possible.

Back