• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading my motherboard (GPU)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

v3nes

Registered
Hi!

I have BIOSTAR MCP6P M2+ ver 6.1 motherboard. It comes with integrated nvidia 6150 and nforce 430 chipset. I would like to know on what I have to look when upgrading my graphic card. It has PCI-E x16 port but I know that newest graphic cards will not work but why is it because of chipset cpu or something other (except psu i know they need more power).

Someone told me that nforce chipsets are better for overclocking but I don't know why maybe you guys know more about it?

// I found out that is supports lock on PCI/AGP port. But what is it? Why it is helpful?

It has PCI-E x16 port = but is that PCI-e 1.0, 1.0a, 1.1 or 2.0 or even now 3.0 for the very latest motherboards. So there are about five PCI-e x16 type ports today.

I know that newest graphic cards will not work = If you know that then that discussion likely included the version of PCI-e that will work of the five shown above and with that motherboard.

Most PCI-e type 2.0 video cards will work backwards with PCI-e 1.0/a and 1.1.

Hey thanks for replay! I'm not sure which version of pcie slot it is. I was searching for info but couldn't find it and I have only motherboard without cpu so I can't run it.

But in general what I have to check when upgrading graphic card? I know that I have to check pcie version. But what else? It will be effective when I install 2.0 video card in 1.1 pcie slot? I mean card will be limited to 1.1 speed so is there better to find card for 1.1 version? Sorry for those questions but I like to learn by asking them :)

nforce 430 chipset = That chipset seems to support PCI-e 1.0 in that one long PCI-e slot in your motherboard.

Thanks guys !!

btw. What other things I have to consider while upgrading graphic card? Like how to make sure my CPU will not be slower to take full advantage of my gpu?

Back