• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

UPGRADING MY RIG

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mitukczuk

HEy guys,

I got some spare money for a possible rig upgrade. About 360 dollars.
CPU is out of question for now as its brand new - got it from a friend yesterday (bad gift from his GF). I dont plan to overclock it for now as the automatic overclock serves just fine atm and I dont want to void the warranty just yet. Also i like the new Ryzen gen so i want to wait for these to get a little cheaper.

Is the GPU next? Or RAM? which gets me the best boost in terms of gaming you think? Right now I play mostly RDR 2 at about 60+ fps stable. I would like to dive into the new AC Valhalla and just future proof a little.
I was thinking about getting the MSI Radeon RX 5600 XT MECH OC or a 4K monitor (got an oooold acer 22") but given my rig wont get me solid 4K gaming, i dont know.

Ill be glad for any suggestions.
Thanks.

Last edited:
It sounds like you are at that point where anything could be upgraded. You are right that if you upgrade the screen to 4k you are going to have a hard time running it. You are probably looking at 35fps average with a card like the 5600xt at 4K with some games doing better but others will be unplayable.

What card do you have at the moment?

It sounds like you are at that point where anything could be upgraded. You are right that if you upgrade the screen to 4k you are going to have a hard time running it. You are probably looking at 35fps average with a card like the 5600xt at 4K with some games doing better but others will be unplayable.

What card do you have at the moment?

Yeah, the monitor doesnt look like a good idea - however I use it for Netflix too so it would be nice to get an extra inch (thats what she said).
Found a 144hz HD Monitor for a solid price though. wyt?
As the signature states - got Radeon RX 580 Armor OC 8GB

Sorry couldn’t see your signature, I’m on my phone.

1440p 144Hz monitor would be something good to look at.

I wouldn’t bother with a 5600xt over the 580. It is a better card but not worth the money for the small gain in performance. Plus it has less vram which is never ideal to go backwards in. From that card you are really looking at a 5700xt as an upgrade or a 2070. Or whatever the 3060ti brings. They do however cost a little more.

5700 and its alternatives is just too much money atm.

So you think the 5600XT is not worth it now? I might be able to get the monitor and the card for a solid price. I found there is a discount if I buy 2 items above 500 dollars total.

5700 and its alternatives is just too much money atm.

So you think the 5600XT is not worth it now? I might be able to get the monitor and the card for a solid price. I found there is a discount if I buy 2 items above 500 dollars total.

When you look at benchmarks the 5600 is on par with the 580 and the 5600xt may get you an extra 20fps at 1080p. You may want to check some reviews out on YouTube to confirm that, as drivers may have increased performance from when I last looked at that card for a mate of mine. It is a jump in performance but is it worth that amount of money?

The other thing is that both Nvidia and AMD are going to be launching mid tier cards sometime in the next t few months. There is a rumour of a 3050 from Nvidia in January which sounds decent. And I will imagine that AMD will produce a 6600xt as well, but not sure when.

When you look at benchmarks the 5600 is on par with the 580 and the 5600xt may get you an extra 20fps at 1080p. You may want to check some reviews out on YouTube to confirm that, as drivers may have increased performance from when I last looked at that card for a mate of mine. It is a jump in performance but is it worth that amount of money?

The other thing is that both Nvidia and AMD are going to be launching mid tier cards sometime in the next t few months. There is a rumour of a 3050 from Nvidia in January which sounds decent. And I will imagine that AMD will produce a 6600xt as well, but not sure when.

I have been looking at some benchmarks and reviews on youtube and the 5600XT sure delivers a few more FPS in gaming. Sometimes its sonsiderable.
This guy has a similar rig to mine.

However, the RX 580 seems to have one or two more years of solid performance left.
Its quite a pickle :)

I'll jump in:

The monitor might be the place to start. Nice 1440K or 4K?

3060ti or 3060 is something we'll have to see next year.

It’s rubbish for you really as the 5600xt would be a good replacement. However it is just over priced. If that card is $200 it’s an easy decision for you.

Your current motherboard will prevent you from upgrading to the newest Ryzen CPUs some day. But you could upgrade the CPU to the Ryzen 3xxx series.

Investing in a good monitor is always the best upgrade as its typically the one part that will last the longest (for most ppl). A good QHD 165Hz 27-32" will set you up for a gpu upgrade next year. I caught the Dell S3220DGF onsale for around $340 each last month and actually ordered 3 of them but ended up deciding to pass on triple and got a Samsung G9 49" UW instead for my sim rig. Still kind of regret it, for a VA panel they are top notch for color and brightness. A good IPS with those stats would be to much unless you wanted to drop down to FHD.

Other options would be a larger SSD (I went from 60, 120, 250, 500, to 1TB now and cannot wait for a good price on a 2TB). As well as some faster ram, yeah not flashy but Ryzens like fast ram though not sure if what you have will really handle better than 3200.

Last but not least you can always slap some lipstick on a pig to at least make her look good. A new case with tempered glass panels, rgb fans, AIO, etc.

Could treat yourself to a B550 or 570 board, and have more than enough for a 1 TB Gen3 NVME drive, I get up to 3GB per sec with mine and it was a bit over $100... That is what I'd do. But where you'd notice it the most I suppose would be the GPU. Definitely there are gains to be had with a newer Zen2 chip (or 5000 series) but absolutely would want \ need a more modern chipset before you upgrade the CPU.

Thank you all for your recommendations.

I took your advice, added a bit of money and got myself a new 144hz monitor, MSI 5700XT and a new Fractal Design 760W power supply. I figured it would happen eventually so what the hell. Got a nice 15% discount on the whole purchase after some bragaining.
A mobo and a cpu are next in line but there is time to enjoy the acquired CPU though its somewhat old and probably bottlenecks the GPU.

Let me tell you...144hz is a fantasy after the almost 10 year old Acer screen I had before :D
Combined with the new GPU its a new world completely.
The GPU slices through the RDR2 Ultra settings like nobodys business!

Last edited:
Post some benchmarks when you've got it all dialed in. I know what you mean with the ~fantasy~ thing. My jaw dropped when I saw what my new rig was doing even on a cheapo 60hz panel. (my pervious rig was a c2q with HD 6850)

Looks like even the RX 5500 XT has more FPS than a stock RX 580. And my Radeon RX 580, from XFX, apparently has the highest factory clocks.

So i might be buying a new mobo as well.

Any suggestions given I wont be upgrading the CPU now but will in the future (Ryzen) ?

Found these:
ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS
MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK

Last edited:
I own the Tuf B550m-Plus. Exactly the same board, but mATX not ATX. Nice CPU VRM layout /w big heatsinks (plus they use the non-hollow solid pins for the 8pin), 2.5 GB LAN, B550 chipset, SPDIF audio, lots of USB3 ports and has USB-C. I've owned this board since July and am incredibly happy with it. Rock solid. I'll definitely be keeping this board around for a long time, and eventually drop in a 6 - 8 core 5000 series or 12 \ 16 core chip from Zen 2 (3000 series).

That MSI board looks like a great board too, but I can't say I've used one.

Back