• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

UPGRADING MY RIG

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thank you one more time for all your help!

The upgrade is complete - only thing left is the CPU which is going to be replaced later in 2021 if i find the 2600X is lagging behind.
I went with the TUF GAMING B550 PLUS mobo, 2x8GB Corsair 3200mhz RAM kit, got myself another one 1TB SSD and got rid of the old HDD and also packaged it into a whole new case where I can finally cable manage!!

Damn it looks clean!

No problem! Post some pics if you can. Plan on OCing the CPU at all?

No problem! Post some pics if you can. Plan on OCing the CPU at all?

Well I sure as hell have an itch to OC it, but currently its doing a great job as it is. The automatic overclock ramps up to about 4.1-4.3 when gaming according to CPUID and HW monitor and it gets the job done just fine. I think ill let this one live stock and go to town with the new CPU next year.

Yeah, unless you have some special tricks up your sleeve they do tend to OC themselves better than you could set for a static OC. Still, I can run R20 & R23 multiple loops with my 3600 @ 4650 MHz. Not prime stable, but fun for benching and just seeing what I could get with the right cooling.

Hello to everybody.
The time has come to upgrading the PC again and I would love top have a good 4K gaming PC.
I was thinking about getting a new GPU, RAM and maybe a PSU.
What are some suitable options for me? Is 6700 worth it/enough of an upgrade?

Thank you for any suggestions!

I don't see the point of a power supply if that one is working OK. It's plenty powerful enough for a stronger GPU. I'd use the money saved there and get a 6800 or something from Nvidia a bit more powerful for 4K/60 gaming. RAM, you can go to 2x16GB DDR4-3600 and be in good shape.

I don't see the point of a power supply if that one is working OK. It's plenty powerful enough for a stronger GPU. I'd use the money saved there and get a 6800 or something from Nvidia a bit more powerful for 4K/60 gaming. RAM, you can go to 2x16GB DDR4-3600 and be in good shape.
Hey, I looked into the RAM selection but it seems that the board doesn't support many manufacturers - basically only HyperX or Patriot, which i have no experience with. I was looking into Kingston FURY 2x16g 3600Mhz sticks. Am I safe to assume they won't work?

Last edited:
Hey, I looked into the RAM selection but it seems that the board doesn't support many manufacturers - basically only HyperX or Patriot,
Yeah, not a lot in 2x16GB 3600.

I also don't really see the point in a memory upgrade unless you're upgrading capacity as well. The move to 3600 from 3200 isn't noticeable outside of benchmarks, really. So make sure you're getting 32GB.

As far as assuming they won't work... maybe. The list confirms what works, not what doesn't. If a kit isn't on the list, it means it wasn't tested, or didn't work. It's a crapshoot. I'd stick to the list, personally...

Last edited:
Yeah, not a lot in 2x16GB 3600.

I also don't really see the point in a memory upgrade unless you're upgrading capacity as well. The move to 3600 from 3200 isn't noticeable outside of benchmarks, really. So make sure you're getting 32GB.

As far as assuming they won't work... maybe. The list confirms what works, not what doesn't. If a kit isn't on the list, it means it wasn't tested, or didn't work. It's a crapshoot. I'd stick to the list, personally.
I am definitely thinking about going from 16gb to 32gb maybe i didn't stress it enough, sorry. I was just surprised the selection is so small in the 3600mhz dept for this mobo.
I was able to borrow the 32gb 2x16 Kingston FURY kit from my local shop and the system didn't boot so I guess that's a no go. I might go for the same Corsair I have now but 32gb.

I was able to borrow the 32gb 2x16 Kingston FURY kit from my local shop and the system didn't boot
Just to be sure..... you're on the latest BIOS for the board, right? If not, make sure you update it to the latest and then try.

Maybe add a matching kit of what you have.........get a matching 2x8GB of what you're currently running.

Just to be sure..... you're on the latest BIOS for the board, right? If not, make sure you update it to the latest and then try.

Maybe add a matching kit of what you have.........get a matching 2x8GB of what you're currently running.
Man, it sometimes gets really frustrating to keep forgetting about the most basic stuff all the time! Of course I didn't have my Bios updated. Of course NOW the FURY kit runs with no issues :D

Man, it sometimes gets really frustrating to keep forgetting about the most basic stuff all the time! Of course I didn't have my Bios updated. Of course NOW the FURY kit runs with no issues :D
There we go... you love to see it!!!!!! :attn: :rock: :soda:

Now the 6800 and I am all set.
Get the best you can/want to afford here. You're rocking 4k/60, so you need all the GPU horsepower you can get. I don't know if you can find an RTX 4070 for a similar price as 6800XT (doubt it), or even a 7800XT. At 4K, you want the extra vram AMD offers........otherwise, I'd go NV.

Seconding everything the gentleman above wrote.

Ideally 7800XT or 4070.
Think os the used market as well. Can grab ßome real good deal (as an example, I was in a hurry and my 1080ti for 400bucks in 2018...
Edit:sorry for the typos

Given the 6800/7800/4070 are the best upgrades for 4k. Are there any other options worth looking at in the lower price range? 6700/6750 if I stayed at 1080 or 1440p ? The nvidias are expensive over here.

Last edited:
Given the 6800/7800/4070 are the best upgrades for 4k. Are there any other options worth looking at in the lower price range? 6700/6750 if I stayed at 1080 or 1440p ?
For either res, it depends on your goals. Are you looking for 60hz/ultra or are you looking for high refresh gaming (first person shooters)?

4k/60/ultra... 7800 or 4080.

1440/120+... 7800 or 4080

1440/60...7800 or 4070

1080/120+.... 7800 or 4070

1080/60.... 7600 or 4060ti

Here's a good link for 7800... you can see it's not really a 4k/60 across the board card, but does average over 60 fps. Depends on the title and settings... if you use dlss (nv), etc.

Last edited:
I wouldn't even think about anything below RTX4070 or RX7800XT for gaming. RTX4080 is significantly faster but also significantly more expensive. RTX4070 heats up less and uses less power than RX6800XT/7800XT. I mean something like 70-100W less under load, and it's a huge difference.
RX7600 is worse than RTX4060, but both are pretty bad. 8 GB is not enough to run some games at high detail at 1440p, not to mention 4k. Most should still run fine at 1440p if you don't expect 100FPS+. RTX4060Ti 16GB would be a "maybe" option, as long as it's quiet.

Last edited:
I wouldn't even think about anything below RTX4070 or RX7800XT for gaming. RTX4080 is significantly faster but also significantly more expensive. RTX4070 heats up less and uses less power than RX6800XT/7800XT. I mean something like 70-100W less under load, and it's a huge difference.
RX7600 is worse than RTX4060, but both are pretty bad. 8 GB is not enough to run some games at high detail at 1440p, not to mention 4k. Most should still run fine at 1440p if you don't expect 100FPS+. RTX4060Ti 16GB would be a "maybe" option, as long as it's quiet.
I got your point but the budget is limited, I got about 530USD stretched. I found a 6800 for 500 new. 4060Ti 16Gb are running 100USD more. I just want to see significant improvement over my 5700XT and lets say a solid framerate in Jedi Survivor. The 5700XT was solid in that game, running on Ultra/High but there were stutters and I felt like thats the edge of that card (i am aware of bad PC ports of the AAA games as of late)
Since I wont be upgrading my monitor just yet, 4k is not the goal right now. 60-144hz FHD/QHD is.

If you haven't purchased your monitor yet, I would recommend staying around 1440p. I feel like in the range 1440p you can do $500 GPUs everyy 3-5 years, but 4k is going to be more like $800-1000 GPUs unless you're happy running under 60fps. It seems like we have similar budgets/upgrade cycles and I've found 1440p/144hz to be a great sweet spot. If you never play FPS the argument could be made for 4k/60Hz, but I prefer to stay in the 70-90fps range even for RPG games.

My eyes are garbage (meaning maybe I'm not the best judge of pixel peeping, but also meaning that if things are off in terms of text rendering I'm hosed) and I use a 32" 4k comfortably at work, but the screen is more than arm's reach from where I usually sit (this is on an arm, so if I wanted it closer it would be, just where it ends up being comfortable). At home I use a 1440p 27" for gaming and productivity with a smaller desk. I probably sit within 2' of my monitor and find it comfortable. Focus on pixel density based on the monitor size rather than just resolution. Sure sitting 18" from a 32" screen would be "immersive" but it is also a lot to take in at once comfortably.

Edit: if you have the opportunity, measure your current viewing distance, then go to a store like best buy (anything where monitors are on display) and test out different sizes at the viewing distance to see what is comfortable for you.

Back