• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading old Synology DS 411 to a new Nas/HTPC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Richo999

My current NAS and it's drives are getting to old for comfort (and to small with its current 8 Tb), hence I am on the look out for something new.
However after some searching around I became even more confused as I was before (network is not my expertise). My current NAS is also incompatible with Plex and my Samsung smart tv.
Primarily I want to replace my NAS and if budget allows it a stylish htpc.
I have a budget of around €350 in mind excluding HDD (wanted to start out with 2x 8Tb in raid 1 and add another 2x 8 Tb later)
At the hardware level I am abit conflicted with what to choose and if a low power consumption NAS might also be suitable for a htpc?
My current build idea:
AMD A8-9600
Asrock A320 pro 4 uATX (cheap, ECC supported memory and has plenty data 600 )
16 GB ECC 2400 MHz compatible memory
Seasonic S12-II 450W
Kingston A400 120Gb (boot drive)
Any decent looking uATX case with 4+ 3.5 drives.

The support for ECC is limited on the Asus and Asrock boards I like, any better options? Do I need ECC at all for a simple NAS/HTPC?
What kind of OS is recommended? I want to use Plex for media streaming.

Last edited:
No, you won't need ECC for a simple NAS. For an OS I've had good luck with FreeNAS but haven't played with PLEX on it. Downside being it doesn't really work for HTPCs.

For the CPU how's the 2200G compare in price over there? Here in the US it pretty much costs the same as the A8 but is newer/better tech.

Last edited:
Back