• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading PC. Need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yeah, sorry. I think 970 will be fine for 1080p @ 60hz. You might feel the pain a bit if you move to 1440 and/or higher refresh rate.

He would feel more pain with higher refresh? What? He may not reach the fps/refrsh tbe monitor can acieve, but that doesnt cause pain.

Oh come on bro... You know what I mean :D. Pocket book pain. I know i'd feel it a little if I dropped $600 on a card and didn't see some major uber fps gains. You'd see little to no benefit from a higher refresh rate monitor and a 970 would have a hard time pushing higher fps at 1440 and above on modern AAA titles. All I'm trying to say is imo op's current setup would benefit upgrading to newer platform, but 970 is a decent enough match for 1080 @60hz monitor. This is coming from a guy who has a 7700k, a couple gtx 970's, 1070, 1070ti, and a couple 1080ti's that I have paired with a 1080p/60hz monitor a times. Op, you got plans in the near future to upgrade your monitor? Vr gaming?

Oh come on bro... You know what I mean :D. Pocket book pain. I know i'd feel it a little if I dropped $600 on a card and didn't see some major uber fps gains. You'd see little to no benefit from a higher refresh rate monitor and a 970 would have a hard time pushing higher fps at 1440 and above on modern AAA titles. All I'm trying to say is imo op's current setup would benefit upgrading to newer platform, but 970 is a decent enough match for 1080 @60hz monitor. This is coming from a guy who has a 7700k, a couple gtx 970's, 1070, 1070ti, and a couple 1080ti's that I have paired with a 1080p/60hz monitor a times. Op, you got plans in the near future to upgrade your monitor? Vr gaming?

Nope! I do not have any plans to upgrade monitor or for VR gaming for the next 2 years or so. I understand your point with the 970 and 1070. Also, i agree that the 10xx series are kinda overpriced at the moment. However even if i wait for the prices to drop, it isnt sure that is going to happen anytime soon right?

Nope! I do not have any plans to upgrade monitor or for VR gaming for the next 2 years or so. I understand your point with the 970 and 1070. Also, i agree that the 10xx series are kinda overpriced at the moment. However even if i wait for the prices to drop, it isnt sure that is going to happen anytime soon right?

That depends on the mining profitablity. If the crypto currencies go for a dive there'll be cheaper cards. Personally I doubt that's going to happen anytime soon.
This is always a good place to look. Evga "B" stock. Recertified cards 1 year warranty but usually cheaper and right now about half the price of newegg https://www.evga.com/products/produ...ily=GeForce+10+Series+Family&chipset=GTX+1070

Yeah, no guarantees on anything in the gpu market. We have Nvidia 20xx due somewhere around q2 and a vega die shrink later this year, but it doesn't mean anything for prices if demand stays high. Is like to think things will calm down in the next couple months, but I just don't know.

Uhm...i didnt know that the 20xx series was that close to release man! Now you are making me rethink...if that is the case maybe its really worth to keep the 970(like someone already said) and wait for the new 20xx series. Because if i buy now the 1070 and after 2 months the 20xx series comes out i ll be kinda mad!

Sadly when they get released it will be gobbled up very quickly I bet.
Can only hope after Nvidia releases at least their "batch" of branded cards the board partners will be not far behind with their improvements.

Back