• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

upgrading radiator

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hey locheckey i was ready another thread you posted in and you said you had a build that could dissapate around 900w of heat, what is that and do you have pics of that? would love to see what that is

I can get some pictures if you like but it is nothing pretty it is just my benching setup. It basically relies on a large 1260 radiator with high speed fans. This is not meant for an everyday system as it is very loud. The other thing to note is that when I start putting a large load like that on it the delta T goes to like 10-15 degrees C.

If I'm looking at your case right it looks like you could fit another radiator on your main section. If it was me I would either move your 240 there and mount a new 360 on the left side or mount the new 360/480 to the center section. I would then series the entire loop to include the cpu and gpu instead of running 2 loops. This will allow for optimal cooling off whatever component is being stressed while providing adequate cooling while the whole system is stressed.

yah man if its not too much trouble i'd like to see what you got, how would i got about running in series, never have done this before, always just kept my loops seperate. did you also notice the dead spots on the 360 rad, any ideas for a shroud, maybe shrouding the 360 and putting some more fans on the sucker would help ina push pull method, maybe ill gut this one and put it in my old build, that way i have reason to upgrade rads. also was doing some reading up on the airplex radical 2 over on extremerigs and i got pretty bad reviews, so maybe ill go with a monsta 480, really like alphacool products, if you can think of a different rad/better performing rads feel free to chime in

Last edited:
Here is an old picture when i had my rig outside before I got the correct fans for the set up, I was running 8 120 fans instead of the 9 140s that it called for. I have since got the correct mounting plate for the radiator and added in the 9 140 fans.

0207161931.jpg

I have since been working on modifying this radiator and stand into a benching table, not quite finished but this is what I got currently.

1122162315.jpg

You can see my adventures at trying to build this setup here, I really should go bak and finish that thread onee of these days:chair:.

thx for the pics, that thing looks awsome, they way i have my loop setup right know is the water comes outta the pump/res combo goes into the rad, comes outta the rad into the cpu waterblock then back to the res pump combo, if i was to set this thing up in series how would i go about doing that? also what is the cfm and rpm for those fans outta curiosity, when i had my makeshift heatercore cooling one of my older pcs, i was using dell efb1212she on them, and those things are pretty loud at max, i had them on an ajustable fan controller

Well as your system sits now, assuming you keep both pumps. You could go 240 rad-> Left pump -> GPU -> 360rad -> right pump -> cpu -> back to 240 rad. OR something like that. Loop order is not truly critical. Just make sure the pumps are both pushing in the same direction. If you add another rad you could just plop it into that order wherever. The other way to look at it is jsut take the Input tube from the cpu/gpu and swap them.

so the cooling capacity is addative when running in series as opposed to running in parallel and tryin to get a bigger rad or a rad with higer fpi for better cooling. also would a push pull config provide better cooling than just push as i have the rad currently setup

Thanks for the images so we can see what's going on here.

I personally would have just went all one loop and just added a quad rad on the same case as the system without adding the others in the mix because it should and would have suffice for a CPU and single GPU only loop unless you're looking for the absolute best deltas possible and possibly adding more GPUs down the road.

I also would have just done one big loop on your dual setup since the loop will reach an equilibrium stage. If you were to add another rad, I can almost guarantee that you'll surely hit diminishing returns.

I don't recommend going down the high FPI route. If you choose to stick with the monsta, I recommend going with push and pull since they're so thick. I honestly would just stick with 50-60mm rads.

Also, check your BIOS settings on the CPU. Maybe too much voltage is being pumped to it. On auto mode, most MB's tend to do that.

GTXjack your right, its been a while since i have used a high fpi rad and had forgotten about how much noise they really do make, im seriously thinking about sticking with the monsta 560 and possibly doing the loop in series with the 240 radiator, what fan should i use (thinking the max rpms i want to deall with is 2000) with that particular rad tho? Also i have been looking online for some radiator shrouds for quad 140mm fans but cant seem to find anything, would anyone know where i could get some of these, i really hate have the fans connected directly to the raidiator and getting those dead spots. If i have to go the customized 3d printed route, what would be the max standoff from radiator i would want.

as for my cpu voltage core temp says the vid is 1.3823 in the bios its set 1.377, my cpu is only running 4375mhz im really thinking about tanking this thing out and using it for a clay pingeon:rofl:

Last edited:
a bit off topic but i didnt want to start another thread for this, im curious i have a couple ol pumps. An mcp655 and a lang ddc 3.25 from my older system, that system had a bit of an algae problem, would running vinegar through these parts for 24 hours get rid of any bacteria or critters lurking inside? or should i just throw them out, they still work.

Back