• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

upgrading ram from 6 - 12/18

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nemodog

Registered
hi looking at upping my ram by 6-12 gig i have 6 gig of Corsair Dominator 6GB Triple Channel DDR3 Memory Kit (CMP6GX3M3A1600C8) but finding it hard to get any the same. can i put 12 gig in with this. ?like these Corsair CMZ12GX3M3A1600C9 or does it have to be 6 modules of the same size/model/ make/ and timings ???? thanks nemodog

Mixing modules is not recommended. Noone will guarantee it will work without issues so better is to get 3x4GB and later check if it's working with old memory or not.

my boards supports triple or dual channel ram if i scrapped my old and decided to buy brand new which would be the best. triple or dual thanks

Triple. And is there a reason you need more than 6GB? Are you close to that limit now or something? Adding more if you are not using it all in the first place, will not help performance.

my board has 6 slots 3 empty. was just trying to get my rig ready for bf4. it says it need 8 gig recommended thanks nemodog

Next year, depending on when and what you purchase, we may be on DDR4. Honestly, I wouldn't spend a penny on ram until you buy your new PC next year.

If you insist on making a purchase now, the link you selected has four sticks. You have a triple channel board and it is 3 or 6 sticks that are needed. I think that the 4th stick may go to single channel (slow). So get 3x4GB sticks DDR3 1600 CL9 1.5v. Any will do. Whatever fits your budget and looks good is fine.

Again, keep what you have at least until BF4 comes out so you can see you likely do not need an upgrade as was mentioned.

EDIT: If you have money burning a hole in your pocket, get an newer and larger SSD. At least with that you will notice a difference. :)

if i could find 1 stick to go with these 3 i would. but don`t know the part number i think the numbers i have are for the full set. i have 2 ssd`s now 1 with just bf3 on lol thanks nemodog

Back