• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

upgrading rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

raident30

Hello! Its been a long time since i've been here. anyways, i am planning to upgrade my rig and im planning to buy the gpu and cpu first. i am planning on getting a 4770k. for the gpu, im getting an R9 290(not the x, almost the same performance but cheaper). is it worth upgrading now or should i wait for the newer generations CPU and GPU? thanks!:thup:

Just to upgrade or do you need more processing power. I have both the 2500k which will do 4.5 on Air and a 4770k @ 4.4 on water. Yes the 4770k is faster but for gaming and such I do not see a difference between the two. Furthermore, the 4770k I have is a heat monster, my 4.4 @ 1.23 on a full loop, 360Rx rad cpu only, is as high as I can go without going above max recommended temps. Reality is if your rig in your sig is the one upgrading and your playing games at 1080p with a flashed 7950 to 7970 specs. You're most likely not going to "visually" see much of a difference going to a R9 290. Is it faster, yes and it will give you more FPS, but visually will you notice the difference? I play games at 1080p and when comparing my GTX 580 and my GTX 780 yes I get more frames per sec but visually I do not notice a difference in game play. It's only when I'm maxing out the VRam on the 580 when I notice a difference, which is seldom at 1080p. If the intentions aren't for gaming then all that I said is a moot point. :)

Get a new GPU, get an SSD, maybe OC your 2500K further, call it a day. There is no desirable mainstream upgrade. You're looking at 4930K or bust. Even that won't improve your gaming performance noticeably. Don't upgrade to a 4670K or 4770K or even 4790K. Not enough of an improvement for you.

That upgrade to Z97 will allow him to drop in Broadwell. ;)

Which, if history proves anything, will be a few percent faster than Haswell. Will Broadwell be a worthwhile upgrade to SB? I don't know yet and neither does anybody else. I do know that it isn't worth spending money on a crapshoot when you can spend it on a sure thing and increase performance today, not tomorrow.

I'm on Sandybridge and I don't plan on upgrading until 2016/17.

Normally people get all giddy from a 15%+ increase... which if the ~5% trend continues.........................

I'm on Sandybridge and I don't plan on upgrading until 2016/17.
Quoting for permanence... I bet you upgrade before 2017... :p

about the z97, when do you think it'll come out guys? how about the next gen gpus? amd release new gen every 2 years right? how about nvidia?

The boards are ready and reviews are already up on many popular websites. Broadwell will arrive by Christmas and new GPUs will probably arrive next year (maybe in March?). So far it looks like AMD have a slight lead in catering to a variety of segments/price-points. However, if the Maxwell based 750Ti is anything to go by, NVidia can pop out a winner on all fronts pretty soon. However, they will probably wait for AMD to release their cards.

so broadwell will come out for about 6 more months.. hmm... do you think broadwell's temperature will still the same with haswell?

It looks like it. From the words floating around, it is basically a higher clocked Haswell. What the process giveth, the clock speed taketh away. :)

for the mean time, im getting a cheap i3 ivy cuz i still have a z77 board stocked under my bed while waiting for broadwell. do you think it is worth getting a 290 more than 780 or vice versa?

The 290 vs 780 question depends on the games you are interested in playing. I'd say go with the cheaper card. If you decide on the R290, choose a card with a good cooling solution (say ASUS or MSI).

i think im going with MSI (y)... thanks!

btw would i notice a big difference in electric consumption by getting the r9 290 over the 780?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back