• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

upgrading to FX 8350...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rishidev

Registered
Hi
Just got an Asrock 970 extreme4 (shipped with revised BIOS) for my 1090T with gskill 16GB 1600 Mhz....storing my old 880gm for future HTPC.
Since i dont use windies 7 ........lshw on ubuntu 12.04 shows im running 800Mhz(1.2ns).
I'll have to wait ....and tweak as per time.........

This mobo states a 140 watt TDP--(4+1) phase.
Also very impressed by power phase performance and efficiency.
Running at 3.6 Ghz (3 cores) @ 1.275 volts Vcore
N/B voltage @ 1.075 volts
ram @ 1.25v

I would love to slot in the FX 8350 after its release in my new mobo.
Using an A8 4500(no L3 cache)trinity lappie from HP for work.
Memory benches are off the charts as shown in hardinfo. Beats my phenom II @ 3.6Ghz.
On connecting to a 40 inch Sharp this thing makes my 1090T weep in single threaded and desktop usage. Graphics are slick and superfluid with no slowing down on multitasking either.
Looks very promising!!

Hopefully if FX 8350 is upto the mark it would be a worthy upgrade...
Also read it has a 2133Mhz IMC.:cool:

AMD clearly states AM3+ socket mobo's are fully supported for this chip.
Plus its been stated no new chipset until Q2 2013.

Also confirmed AMD steamroller specs:
4Ghz ++
2600 Mhz IMC for full DDR4 compatibility.
Full PCIE 3.0 support
6 usb 3.0 ports
:blah::blah:

And Haswell is a born enemy.

And now im beginning to wonder whether skipping an entire generation is worth it (even if i could afford it).
A simple reason would be GDDR6 which will come out 2014--A dominion of AMD.
Steamroller might be highly distinctive against piledriver by a huge margin...
But im guessing Haswell will be almost 2x against a full 2600k setup.

The real celebrity for 2013 are SSD's. Now they have conquered against HDD's practically. Bought a cheap zalman 240GB 2nd gen sandforce with sata 3.0 and will sometime at years end or Q1 end 2013 will get another one at half price with RAID 0 setup!

Those who have already done this will add another SSD to the setup with blistering ( pointless ) speeds....Maybe faster than any network setup and equal to grid setups with infiniband.

Lets face it HDD's are guzzlers, heavy, unelegant and "highly offensive" with their presence . You actually have to wait 2-3 years of hdd usage to feel safe and reliable to store large amounts of data:shock:

Wait and watch?

So what is the point of all that speculating? None that I know of really has seen a PileDriver like what should come in a few months now. Newer ram somewhere off in the future is just going to be a pain for a time just like it was when DDR3 hit the desktop. AMD has every intention of pushing cpu/gpu combinations. They are n0t going to compete with Intel on the high end consumer desktop cpu. At any time as with any business trying to make money, they could cancel a roadmap for financial reasons. And in computering, there have always been those that are waiting for what is out there. By the time they wait out their first time frame period, on the horizon there comes the next thing just around the corner it seems and they wait some more. Waiting is just that, it is not moving forward. Waiting does not cost anything. Go for waiting if that is what you want to do financially.

I find it rather interesting that your talking about going to AMD's top of the line desktop processor, yet you seem very comfortable with putting that processor on what is now a level 2 and when the 8350 is released will probably be a level 3 Motherboard that may not even support that processor because of the lower grade chipset even though it's a am3+ socket.
Just my thoughts and in no way the thoughts of this forum or it's staff ! :)

I think if its not fully supported by the AM3+ socket there are going to be a lot of unhappy chappy's out there, including me.

Anyway, i agree with RGone, don't wait, just pick one and be happy with it. :)

if i had not hopped in back at christmas i would still be sitting on the sidelines.

and i very strongly agree with oldbrave, more research before popping on a motherboard for an fx8350 at this prerelease stage.

fx 8350

yes i agree.
better wait to see how fx8350 performs.
And as far the socket compatibility goes AMD pretty clearly stated its native to AM3+ specs.
They might release a new chipset for new mobo but that will come much later.Assuming ........the much speculated "1090" chipset.

FX 8350 is End of Line for 32 nm process with "Bulldozer" architecture ....before delving its efforts fully to steamroller and excavator with quad channel ddr4 ( these chips are supposed to use IP from ARM tech).

Currently using 1090T at 4ghz 1.3375 volts with 2 cores and its beautiful.
By no means will i give it up and maybe will when it reaches the performance of a athlon64.:popcorn:

If 8350 is what its supposed to be ill use my 1090t + 880g for HTPC/gaming system with Radeon LP 7750 in baby ATX form or self made cabinet.....and slot the new FX in...IF NOT then will use a sempron with the 880g mobo for NAS.

The Phenom II's are horrible in memory department.
:thup:

Back