• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading Windows 7 Home Premium to Winowds 7 Pro question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

torin3

At my work we've got a Gateway computer with Win 7 Home Premium 64bit installed on it. Since we have a domain, we'd like to be able to have it join the domain. My boss tried to use the Anytime Upgrade, but it wouldn't accept the business's address, and wouldn't let him pay for it.

So he bought a Win 7 Pro upgrade disk. Well, that won't do an in-place upgrade, and with the CAD software installed they really don't want to do a fresh install.

Is there any way to use the upgrade pro disk/key to do an in place upgrade, or do we need to keep trying to get the Anytime Upgrade to work?

Thanks!

If a reinstall is ok, there are guides online that explain how to do a clean install with an upgrade license.

If a reinstall is ok, there are guides online that explain how to do a clean install with an upgrade license.

My impression right now is they really want to avoid a reinstall. However if they do decide to do that, I know how to do the clean install from an upgrade.

Sorry, I can't help beyond that. I've never done the Anytime Upgrade (or know anyone that has). I hope you get it figured out.

I do not believe you can upgrade from windows 7 to windows 7 except by using the anytime upgrade feature. You can only use the disc to upgrade from a different OS or to do a clean install.

What you may want to do before moving forward is either a) ghost the drive so that it is completely backed up or b) install the OS on another drive that is not being used and then see if you can get all the software running again.

If you failboat on getting the cad/cam software going you can just plug the other drive in and things are back to normal.

Back