• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upset with my PC (OC/temp question)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

3n3rg3ia

Registered
Good morning Overclockers 2 days ago i received my new hardware and i builded the system right away. Ill give you a view of what i have currently install to the pc and how upset i am with this.

CPU:FX-8350
Cooler:Noctua NH-D14
Mobo:Asus M5A99X EVO R.2
PSU:Corsair CX750watt
VGA:Sapphire 7870 XT
RAM:DDR3 HyperX 1600mhz 9-9-9-27 1.65v
Case:Overseer rx-i snow (4fans atm, this week ill install another 2 x 200x200)

I really want to overclock my FX to the max possible and stable with nh-d14 but ill tell you why im upset , i want to believe that i installed the cooler proper while i was followed all the instructions correct. Ill tell you my temps when i explain how i oced.

So far i managed to be stable at 4.5ghz with this settings
Multiplier:22.5
Vcore:1.440 according to cpu-z but while i tried OCCT it reached 1.45v
HT:Auto
CPU/NB freq: Auto
LLC setting: Ultra High
DDR settings manual inserted
Disabled all the power saving options and all the settings in the cpu config menu.
My temps during 1 hour of OCCT and according the core temp 1.0 RC5 was 58c most of the time i was looking at it, but when i went outside to make a smoke it said it reached 65c while i wasnt watching, it was still 58c at full load when i returned.

Last night i left prime95 working at Max FPU stress for 7-8hours, when i woke up the temps was 60-61c and 2 workers (cores) had stop working for prime.

I have a big feeling i do something wrong with overclock as im not so expirienced with UEFI bioses, im upset with the noctua nh-d14 cuz everyone and everywhere was telling me that this bestial cooler is equal to closed loop liquid coolers, it competes the h80-h100, but i get no good oc and its rly decent for my build.

My fx-4100 reached 4.2ghz from 3.6ghz with only multiplier changing 24/7 stable with stock cooler, and i cant get stable 500mhz increase with this killer air cooler, i have no words, im still amuzed by its huge and awesome size-image that looks so good in my pc but upset from how the temps go so high for this low overclock.

I really need some help with overclocking my system , i have understand that 4.8ghz is never going to happen for me , but i want at least something to be happy for with a good overclock result.

Thanks for reading my problem and my concern , i need the help Overclockers.

Best Regards Jim from Greece.

:welcome: To OCF 3n3rg3ia.
It looks like RGone missed his nappy again :rofl:
You should also give this thread a thorough read through. I's all about OC'ing your type of processor and will give you a good understanding of what we're goin to do. http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=688663
I'm pretty certain we'll get you a decent OC in the 4.5 range. 4.6 might be out of reach for your equiptment.

The 5A99X Evo R. 2 board probably falls a little short of being able to deliver on your overclock expectations, as does the Noctua air cooler. The Asus Crosshair V, the Asus Sabertooth and the Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5/UD7 may be the only motherboards currently in production that really can handle the power draw of the FX-8350 fully loaded for an extended period of time when overclocked into the 4.5 ghz and above range. And as good an air cooler as the Noctua D14 is (I have one) you really need to move up to water (like the Corsair H100) to be able to handle the heat of that CPU overclocked that high.

Post your shots here but screen shots are too hard to read. Use windows snipping tool it's in the accessories.

Thanks Trents for the reply, so what u suggest me to do here, in reviews over the globe i saw nh-d14 having almost identical temps like h100.

At the moment im at 4.5ghz with 1.440v - 1.452v and max temps my HWmonitor recorded was 65c but most of the time its 60-62c . im so upset with my build, im rly rookie with overclocking and staff like that , i was just searching for every possible option and opinion about settings in bios what hardware to get and all these things, and i ended up to the ones i got cuz they have been reported as good and reliable, maybe i should go to 4.4ghz and face the fact that i cant do nothing at all to go higher with this crappy noctua ? the only thing i get to love the nh-d14 was the massive size and awesome look, but it cant handle 500mhz of overclock , when my previous fx 4100 overclocked to 4.2ghz with stock cooler and thats 600mhz, im so so so upset.

Capture_zpsd084b0f2.png

So far Prime95 runs for almost an hour and all cores are working, but i get the serious temp of 65c max.

Why are you so upset with your build? Testing has shown that once you get to about 4.4 ghz on those eight core Piledriver CPUs the additional performance of any further overclocking starts to flat line anyway.

Im upset cuz i thought with this nh-d14 i could have very good overclock, in reviews over the globe it has been reported as identical with h100 when it comes to performance and temps, and a guys few mins ago posted me screenshot with his fx 8350 at 4.5ghz running prime test and his HWmonitor had recorded max 40celsius, and im reaching 63celsius, i feel like a sheep that got fished from reviews and was like oh nice performance i should get it, and when you test it its sucks big time, ill just lower the core and the voltages and ill stick with lower frequencies , i have to face the facts here, but its just i had high expectations and all felt apart in action. :D life is cruel anyway, but thank you for your time guys and i wish you the best.

The Noctua nh-d14 is one of the best coolers out. Me thinks you either put too much thermal paste and/or the sink is not seated properly.

Another thing to consider is good airflow. If your case has poor airflow thru it, then the heatsink will perform poorly. Nothing wrong with that sink.

i admit in the begining i wasnt putting proper the thermal paste, i was putting 2 small rice size in the mid of the cpu and i was applying it in all the surface of the cpu the temps was still the same , i started to wonder why so high temps with this cooler and then i tried to search for guides and thermal pastes, then i felt in some review that when you apply just a lil bit thermal paste in the center of the core and by putting the heatsink you cover the most important surface of the cpu thats the center cuz all the heat generates from the center, then i did it this way with 4-5mm size in the center that was a size of a small bean , like the review was showing, and still i had the same temps, im pretty sure as well that something is kinda wrong with my airflow in the system, the case is overseer rx-i snow edition and it has 6 fans 4x200x200mm and 2x120x120mm the 2 200x200 are on top of the case right upper from the cooler and they pull the air out, one 120x120 that is in the back side of the case that pulls also and it pulls out the warm air that goes out of the nh-d14 , one is in bottom side in front of the psu that pushes fresh air inside , one in front of the case that also pushes air in hard disks and the case, but i have just 1 hdd on very top so the air doesnt get affected by it and it goes straight into the system, and last one another 200x200x20mm that pushes air straight to the vga.

Some good guy told me to remove my side panel and to put a fan to push air into the intake fan of the nh-d14 , so i did it and i got 2c reduce from 65c at full load i was at 63c full load, still its not a huge improvement but i realized i dont have the best airflow in my system, i dont know what else to try, right now i lowered the vcore to 1.416 instead of 1.44v and lowered the freq to 4.4ghz, ill try stressing it now to see the temps, if i get again higher than 60c though i doubt, ill completely remove the overclock and my next build will be intel based, i love amd and my previous fx-4100 was working rly flawless at 4.2ghz with stock cooler, and it never but never failed me to any test or anything, i dont know what else to do, i have to wait within this week for the 2x200x200 fans to arrive to install them and see if there will be any difference, but i have start to doubt after all this pain watching the temps these 2 days of overclocking the fx-8350.

About the the installation of the nh-d14 i had also doubts if i wasnt inserting it correct, i removed it again and i tied up very hard the screws, i mean rly hard, they wasnt rolling more, same as the heatsinks screws, still no difference, i am a rookie at this but not completely clueless........

When you took off the sink, did you see how the thermal grease pattern was? Did it look like you put too much? Was the pattern evenly spread?

Also off all the fans you have in your case, the airflow should be like so:

Front: Intake
Side: Intake
Top: Exhaust
Back:Exhaust

The heatsink should be seated so that the fans are pushing the air towards the rear fan out the back. The rear fans should be helping.

lets all read post#10.

the fan that you installed in the case side panel should bloe into the area of the cpu socket to replace the airflow in the vrm section to reduce "cpu" temp.
I wonder about the cooling on this board.

4.5 is a pretty darn good overclock on this rig, with pile driver you are about in the middle of the sweet spot for these cpus.
surly nothing to be upset with.

Nebulous when i removed the heatsink i saw like ,,, how to say it my english are not good, but it was like the thermal paste was looking like it was all perfect covered around leaving you a look of small pins and water waves but in the center it looked like it wasnt a lot like i could see the cpu surface , it was a small area in the center of the cpu like 3-4mm , maybe the thermal paste from this area was in the heatsink i didnt saw proper the heatsinks surface, but i ttied to check the heatsinks surface if its all good, i mean i attached it over my glass table and it was perfectly touching the glass without any unbalance, it wasnt moving around when i was trying to see if its not a surface problem from the heatsink.

Caddi daddi i was wondering if its good to put the second fan from the top side to push air directly into the intake of the cooler, the one that is excactly upper the intake fan from the heatsink, but ill have 4 fans intake and 2 fans pulling out, or i think its more wise to install them as thermaltake suggests in the site.

Ok some update for my issue, i lowered the vcore to 1.41v with LLC at high and using OCCT testing right now for 35mins sometimes the vcore goes max 1.416v and the temps are 52celsius max at full load for a bit over 35mins , at 4.4ghz. I think even if i dont want to , i have to stick to this freq and temps, but 4.4ghz i believe it was something that could be achieved even with stock cooler, paying 65-70euro for a *wanna be* high end air cooler and having same results makes me sad.

Do you have cool qnd quiet disabled. The fans may not be running 100%

any cool air you can get to it is good, just watch what is listed in hardware monitor as "cpu" temp try to keep it with in 10c of "package" temp.

Cool n Quiet is disabled with all power save settings in bios.

Ok guys i have new update i lowered the vcore to 1.4000 and Increased LLC to ultra High with CPU phase control on extreme cuz i had a blue screen when i lowered the core to 1.400v with High in LLC and standard in cpu phase control.

Now with 1.400v inserted and LLC at Ultra high HWmonitor shows
Value:1.368v
Minimum:1.356v
Maximum:1.404v

Temps are:
Value:48c
Min:15c
Max:51c

with OCCT im stable for 15mins(still running) so far with cpu-z showing 1.368vcore most of the times.

Those temps are excellent. The heatsink is doing it's job. Seems like the case is not getting adequate cool air into the case.

I'm thinking those case fans are not high CFM fans, thus is not pushing enough air. You may have to swap the case fans to something that will push some more air into the case.

Back