• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upset with my PC (OC/temp question)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Those temps are excellent. The heatsink is doing it's job. Seems like the case is not getting adequate cool air into the case.

I'm thinking those case fans are not high CFM fans, thus is not pushing enough air. You may have to swap the case fans to something that will push some more air into the case.

Ya what he said :thup:
These things are seriously hot pieces of silicon.
I have two GTX 580's in the system take a lot of freshair to keep it happy.:clap:

I have a d14 and h100 and the d14 isn't as good imo. I thought it was marginally better than my ultra 120 extreme.. But I have a 130w cpu..

Im upset cuz i thought with this nh-d14 i could have very good overclock, in reviews over the globe it has been reported as identical with h100 when it comes to performance and temps, and a guys few mins ago posted me screenshot with his fx 8350 at 4.5ghz running prime test and his HWmonitor had recorded max 40celsius, and im reaching 63celsius, i feel like a sheep that got fished from reviews and was like oh nice performance i should get it, and when you test it its sucks big time, ill just lower the core and the voltages and ill stick with lower frequencies , i have to face the facts here, but its just i had high expectations and all felt apart in action. :D life is cruel anyway, but thank you for your time guys and i wish you the best.

Well, you should have hung around this forum more before drawing conclusions on what to expect from an overclock of a CPU with a given combination of supporting hardware components and you shouldn't put too much stock on anecdotal reports here and there about what Joe Blow got on his overclock. Most of the unusually high overclocks we have people come here to report turn out not to be stable with vigorous stress testing like this community holds to. IMO, at 4.4 ghz with that combo of cooling and motherboard you have gotten as far as you can expect to get and about as far as most people will get with that setup. I certainly do not agree with your conclusion that you have been misled. I think you're expectations were a little unreasonable.

Last edited:
+1 trents and johan45.
turn that puppy back to 4.4 and start working on the ram and cpu/nb and it will be a fine rig anybody would be proud of.
much more than 4.8 is just a worthless moonshot.

and just to be sure the horse is truly dead,
johan45, mandrake and i all have fx cpu's on big water.
we are in the folding competition till tuesday.
I have my 8120 and 6300 at about 4700.
if they will please post the clocks they are running you will most likely see that you spent a lot less money than we did on cooling and are not far off our marks.

+1 caddi daddi ..... I have an 8350 @4.9 and an 8150 @4.75 but by the time I total up what I have spent on the cooling for those two rig I am probably looking at $1000 + between both rigs. I am trying to think back to when I had my Antec 920, similar to the H80 or H80i on my FX 8150...... I doubt that I was able to get stable at 4.6GHZ but that was with a nice cool ambient temp of something in and around 15*C to 18*C.

There are so many people that just post a screen or a cpuz validation claiming they are running such and such speed stable but rarely do they spend any time testing to see if it is stable. Which in itself is no big deal till someone comes along and reads the review or post and expects the same kind of numbers from their systems. It just rarely happens like that in real life. Getting a good OC is a very big balancing game that is different from one system to the next, you never know what you will get till you are finished tweaking your system.

I'm crunching away @4.64 But I'm still just using a little water. But to be fair it took me a month of fiddling. Moving the radiator ,adding fans turning fans, Getting better fans etc. Before I was content now at that clock I load under prime just shy of 50° with 1.47 V_Core.

Wait a minute. Was I the only one to notice 84C on socket temp?
+1

Unfortunately, these FX chips are heat mongers! I also would have to believe that the noctua would be doing a little better cooling. What are your ambient temps like. Where do you have the computer case?

I had my 8350 on the same motherboard as you, that board is a really good midrange board but not enough for the 8350. It just doesn't have enough power to overclock over 4.4 at least my board couldn't

The quote by tungureanu above really stuck out for me as well. You may want to take the right side panel off and blow a fan on the back of the motherboard to see if the socket temp drops. My socket temps were 20c more then my package temp before I modded a fan into the right side of the case, they are now 8c more.

I'm crunching away @4.64 But I'm still just using a little water. But to be fair it took me a month of fiddling. Moving the radiator ,adding fans turning fans, Getting better fans etc. Before I was content now at that clock I load under prime just shy of 50° with 1.47 V_Core.

That is a very good core temp now though. But I read what you said you had to manipulate to get there. It surely is not just stuff it in and go. Not with the hEaT these FX procesors put out when pushed.
RGone...

+1

The quote by tungureanu above really stuck out for me as well. You may want to take the right side panel off and blow a fan on the back of the motherboard to see if the socket temp drops. My socket temps were 20c more then my package temp before I modded a fan into the right side of the case, they are now 8c more.

Idid the same with the same results. :thup:

That is a very good core temp now though. But I read what you said you had to manipulate to get there. It surely is not just stuff it in and go. Not with the hEaT these FX procesors put out when pushed.
RGone...

No it certainly wasn't. Pus warm weather i on it's way so I gave myself some breathing room till the summer is full on and we'll see then.

:clap: Guys finaly Noctua made it happen :clap:

I contacted them and they sended me an extra fan mounting kit to add a 3rd fan in the heatsink and tadaaaa, im now back to 4.5ghz and my temps dont go higher than 50celsius with 3hours of prime 95 running :D now i have extra room for overclock but im not into doing it, 4.5ghz is my best record ever for me and in summer i wont have to lower the overclock cuz of temps, and i can keep this 4.5ghz for long time :D

Thank you all for your interest , i have solve my issue now with the Power of Noctua!! :attn:

Be well all and best Regards.

:clap: Guys finaly Noctua made it happen :clap:

I contacted them and they sended me an extra fan mounting kit to add a 3rd fan in the heatsink and tadaaaa,
Be well all and best Regards.

Make sure you have the mobo screwed well into the case and put a brick on top of the computer case since that thing just might go air-borne. Hehehe. Luck man sounds good.
RGone...

Make sure you have the mobo screwed well into the case and put a brick on top of the computer case since that thing just might go air-borne. Hehehe. Luck man sounds good.
RGone...

Haha :-D. Ill take a screenshot and post it for you Rgone :D I was so upset and now I'm so freaking happy with my rig!!! Gimme few mins to finish shower and ill upload the fresh pics for ya man!

Blue and silver are good together for sure. How is the beagle doing? Just glimpse of the head so taking a guess as to the breed.

The inside of that case is full of fans. Hehehe.
RGone...ster.

__________3_zpsf864472c.jpg

My lovely Golden Retriever , we have her since she was 4 days , they have abandon her when she was borned inside a box in the middle of the street, apart of my computer she is the best thing i ever had in my entire life. Imagine when she woofs woofs she is way louder than my 9 in total fans in my rig, :D (joking hehe the rig is fairly enough silent) .

That's one nice looking rig!! The slippers ain't too shabby either :rofl:

That's one nice looking rig!! The slippers ain't too shabby either :rofl:

Hahahahahaha I blame my wife.. She loves pink!!

But thank you very much guys for the kind words about my rig , I hope for you the best as well! God Bless you!!!

Back