• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Urgent Help Needed!! Plz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
one more quick question. my new heat sink has a fan speed adjuster..should i just leave it in the middle..about 2600rpm..or should i leave it higher or lower..?

Well, I would download Motherboard Monitor 5 or Speedfan, look at your load temps and then decide on a speed that you can live with based on how high you want your temps to be and how much fan noise you can handle...... with an AXP, temps aren't typically a problem, so I'd concentrate more on lowering the fan noise to acceptable levels.

:welcome: to the forums :)

emachines is one of the better OEM deals you can get out there and their parts last longer and outperform many other OEM brands, you're right.

Now, did you reformat the drive completely or run any diagnostic on it, which brand is it?

After formatting it, it may be as good as new or do you have other basis to believe that this is not a common Windows problem?

Last edited:
at idle or under load?
if it is idle , then youre okay ( for an OEM rig)
if its load, im buying an e-machines!
allso, there are programs that exist to check the temperature of the Hard drive itself - i think Sandra does it.
40C is what most manufatturers reccomend, however most drives run hotter. that may be the cause of your failed drive. have a look at the drive temps, and let us know.
this may allso be of help: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=374919
or not since you are a new member. if you cant see it - there are products out there to cool off harddrives.

He just purchased an aftermarket HS for the cpu, so it's no longer OEM temps........... are those idle or load temps though? I'd say those are decent temps either way really, especially for an OEM computer..... if you could lower your case temps, by installing another case fan or modding another fan into the case, then your cpu temp would probably drop even more. My case temp is about 23-25°C, and that's at normal room temp of around 75°F...... so there's plenty of headroom for lowering your case temps.

BTW, what HS did you buy exactly?

c627627 said:
emachines is one of the better OEM deals you can get out there and their parts last longer and outperform many other OEM brands, you're right.

Now, did you reformat the drive completely or run any diagnostic on it, which brand is it?

After formatting it, it may be as good as new or do you have other basis to believe that this is not a common Windows problem?

Yes, the drive may still be good.. If you dont want to waste your time testing it, there is some good diagnostic software provided by major HD mfg's. An extended test (45 mins usually) will tell you if your drive is damaged or useable.

the hard drive was whatever came with the computer..i don't know what brand it is..

also the heatsink that i bought is a cooler master aero 7 lite...those temps are at idle..and i'm looking into buying another case because this case really sucks for cooling and just upgrading in general..

:) Yeah. It is likely the cause of all this is you installing a new program, "tweaking" Windows or a virus that infected your system when you visited a dodgy site, many new viruses can't be detected by the way...

Format the drive and you may find there is nothing wrong with it. The entire system may run just fine as it is if you reinstall Windows from scratch.

I know a lot of people whose operating system went nuts just as you described dozens of times over the years... they reimaged and in two minutes, problem solved.

well i used partition magic and norton ghost to do the swap..and everything runs fine now.

however, i have one, last question::what's a program that will allow me to change the drive letters of my cd drives? i could of sworn that there was a way within windows to do it but i can't effin remember :bang head thanks for all your help!

edit::nevermind i figured it out

Back