• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

URGENT Help Needed: Possible to use AMD CPU Cooler for Intel CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GreatUSA

Sorry about the thread topic, but I need to know the answer to this question soon!

I've got an old CPU cooler here I used with my old AMD Athlon 3000+ CPU and I just wanted to know if it's possible for me to use this old CPU cooler with my current Intel Q9400 CPU?

Thank you!

Highly unlikely. The cooler itself is not the issue, it's the bracket. If it is a stock AMD cooler then no. If it is an aftermarket cooler then it more than likely came with an Intel bracket.

Thanks, but I don't have the Intel bracket... :( Is it possible for me to buy the Intel bracket?

What kind of cooler is it? Each manufacturer makes their own brackets. One works for most 11-- pin chips another for 20-- pin chips and then for am3 am2 chips. At least any cooler I've used in the last few years. But the one thing that is certain is each manufacturer does make their own brackets specific to their cooler. And they will be different depending on the socket you are using it for. So more than likely the chance of you being able to find the bracket you need being sold by itself are slim unless you find someone on ebay or craigslist. I mean you can anything on ebay these days.

- - - Updated - - -

You need a bracket for socket Lga775 so that's where you need to start. But it needs to be specific to that cooler.

Thanks!

I'm looking at the old CPU cooler I used for the AMD Athlon 3000+ CPU now so I can tell you the model number.

Won't work. I don't think you can change the bracket on an old AMD OEM cooler to make it work on a socke 775 board. The socket 775 boards used push pin cooler mounting and the AMDs used spring lever clips. You could make it work with some Arctic Silver thermal epoxy but it would be rather permanent solution.

If the cooler isnt too big just use zipties to mount the cooler to the mobo ontop of the CPU, Make sure its very tight and is on the CPU. If the cooler doesnt have holes in it to mount it you can drill small holes or something.

If the cooler isnt too big just use zipties to mount the cooler to the mobo ontop of the CPU, Make sure its very tight and is on the CPU. If the cooler doesnt have holes in it to mount it you can drill small holes or something.
Ziptie screws are never strong enough.

There are ways to do it, physically. But given the hassle you might as well buy a used cooler for the right slot already and save yourself the trouble. Unless you have a particularly beefy cooler (check rated TDP, not just size and weight), in which case it could still make sense to purchase a mounting kit.

It is possible, but it'll entail fabricating your own custom bracket, then testing it to be sure it'll work. Too much hassle. As others have mentioned, you'll be better off just buying the cooler for that particular socket.

Just go buy a coolermaster 212 + for 19.99 at new egg and your problems are solved!

Back