• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

URGENT (honestly) PLEASE HELP on PiFast! [SOLVED]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MarkF

Hi, Folks!

[Please accept my apologies for the arresting title. This problem has now been fixed. I'd accidentally run the wrong version of PiFast! Thanks to Gautam for the help!]

No, I'm not trying to improve my score. Quite the opposite! However, I was just shocked by receiving the #1 worldwide rank for Q6600s in PiFast(!), and I'm now worried that I've done something wrong. I mean, it'd be terrific if I really won, but I'm quite skeptical about that. It's really important to me that if anything isn't kosher, that I fix this before anyone thinks that I've cheated.

When I run PiFast, I enter the Chudnovsky method (i.e. the default fastest), 10000000 (10M) for digits, an FFT size of 1024, no compression, etc, yet I've gotten some really great numbers running PiFast43. Can anyone think of what I may have done wrong? Am I somehow running the wrong version?

I can only see one thing that's different on my screens. When I look at other folks' posts, I see a memory allocation of 61372K, yet on my runs, I see an allocation of 61757K. As with other folks, the index is 705226. I've checked the first post to see if it has any hints, and all I see is that it apparently incorrectly asks for us to benchmark 1M digits, instead of 10M digits, as we all seem to be doing.

Here's a copy of my post image, if anyone has any suggestions:

PiFast2.png

By the way, the numbers are repeatable, so it wasn't a fluke. I'd greatly appreciate it if anyone can suggest what might have happened here. Please accept my apologies for not posting this in the PiFast thread - my goal was to get quicker attention here. What did I do wrong? THANK YOU for any help you can provide me!!!

Sincerely,
Mark

Last edited:
You're using the wrong version. ;) 4.1 is the standard for benching.

This is the correct version. (It runs all the correct parameters automatically)

I deleted your time from the ranking. IIRC you're going to need to delete your forum post in the thread as well, otherwise it'll rescan it.

Hi, Gautam!

THANK YOU! It didn't say anything about that at all. I'll delete my results right now. I'm very sorry for the mixup, and appreciate your help!

EDIT: I think it would be extremely helpful if the first post were edited to note what version to run! I see that it has a pointer to a download, but I had no idea that that pointer was "authoritative" - I'd just Googled PiFast download, and wound up with V4.3. That'll hopefully help keep other folks from making the same mistake.

Best Wishes!
Mark

Last edited:
Hi, Gautam!

Thank you again! I've deleted all of my PiFast posts here, as well as from HWBot. I'm really sorry that I somehow didn't find any reference to the proper version!!!

Sincerely,
Mark

Hi, Folks!

By the way, I've edited the title, but the external thread title doesn't change. Is there someone I can PM to change the external title to let folks know that the problem has been fixed, so that they don't waste their time reading this? Update: I've reported my own post; hopefully that'll do the trick. Sorry for the craziness, folks, but I freaked out and wanted to fix this fast! Thanks for your patience and help!

Thanks!
MarkF

Last edited:
Hi, EagleScouter!

Thanks for the tip! I've PMed one of the big greenies! ;)

Have Fun!
MarkF

Back