• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

US ANti DSL laws

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Can you tell us which laws you're talking about? I didn't know of any anti-DSL laws in the US.

the anti dsl laws where they limit the bandwidth of dsl and cable users. in asia and other countries, their dsl and cable lines run at 10 mbps no limits.

To explain a bit more what violineb said:

Bandwidth costs money. The higher the bandwidth, the higher the cost because more expensive equipment is needed (on the ISP's side). Since ISPs don't want to loose money and have their customers happy, they prefer to make money and have their customers unhappy ;)

LiGhTBoY said:
To explain a bit more what violineb said:

Bandwidth costs money. The higher the bandwidth, the higher the cost because more expensive equipment is needed (on the ISP's side). Since ISPs don't want to loose money and have their customers happy, they prefer to make money and have their customers unhappy ;)

Or the evil comcast likes to give us lots of download speed and close to 0 upload speed bc they can! Im trapped btw 2 isps verizon and comcast and they both suck! I need upload!

Lucky for you to have a choice. I don't have a choice and right now I'm stuck with my POS ISP with ADSL that is more like dialup..... that will soon change though, a new ISP has started working , and right now they are trying to lay down the infrastructure for cable :attn:

AZNBoiOnFIYA said:
the anti dsl laws where they limit the bandwidth of dsl and cable users. in asia and other countries, their dsl and cable lines run at 10 mbps no limits.

In Asia (specifically Japan and other industrialized Asian nations), there are more people, but also all of the infrastructure is already layed out. Meaning, that they don't have to lay more cables or anything too hook everybody up.

They don't pay as much and get more bandwidth because they (Asian telecommunications companies) thought ahead of demand.

Also, about 90% or so of internet users over here are still on dialup, not by choice, but because there is no infrastructure. That's what most of the money goes to; laying cable and maintaining the networks. That's not going to change for a long time.

I read somewhere recently, that New Zealand, (I think) has fiber running direct to residence's pop (meaning direct to the house) Not sure what the speeds are, but I would guess they are fast.

It doesn't help also that America has such large areas of sparse population. When a telco hut serves an area 8-10 miles across (because that's the demand density for switches) DSL gets very limited by only being able to cover an area 3-4 miles across, leaving 2/3 of their area uncoverable (gee, right where I live).

There's also the part where many areas are still being served by 40 year old lines that are incapable of digital service for all the repairs that have been made over the years....even in large cities.
I see entire neighborhoods daily that are served by untwisted pairs that are near impossible to carry a digital signal over without interference. Higher bandwidth begets higher frequency, thus more interference.

In many Asian countries, it's not uncommon for any adult to remember a time when there was no phone sevice. Here, it's not uncommon to have to go back a generation or two...my Grandmother remembered, and she'd be 90 now...

Last edited:
jajmon said:
I read somewhere recently, that New Zealand, (I think) has fiber running direct to residence's pop (meaning direct to the house) Not sure what the speeds are, but I would guess they are fast.

a guy i game with in NZ complains about his DSL in auckland all the time. slower than most american options(1.5). i think he actually works for an isp there too.

Yeah, I'd be happy with 128K.
It took buying an $89 pure hardware modem to get these old lines to do 28.8 dialup, otherwise it's 26.4 or less....makes me want to rap customer's upside their head when they moan about only getting 44K when they hookup.

And 1.5M?....oh just cry me a river! :D

Diggrr said:
In many Asian countries, it's not uncommon for any adult to remember a time when there was no phone sevice. Here, it's not uncommon to have to go back a generation or two...my Grandmother remembered, and she'd be 90 now...

My great-grandmother died (i think) around 1975 in Northern Ireland and never had electricity. Not that she missed what she never had, she simply didn't see the need for it. I should mention we come from a farming heritage :)

Im just wondering if comcast is smart enough to invest all this money they are getting from its overpaying consumer back into there own network so they can have a larger range , more services , and faster bandwidth so it can make people happier, i think comcast should have a $29.99 service like 1500/256 and a $45.99 service thats 3000/512 or 768 , like a extreme package where both ways are better. I just day dream too much :p

Comcast probably caps the upload so bad since "theoretically" one wouldn't need much if you strictly follow their TOS. With the utter ban on servers of any kind, it's hard to saturate 256K up (unless you're gaming that is, but I still get good speeds with it), so limiting it effectivly forces people to at least partially submit to that part of the TOS since any server will have nearly NO impact anyway.

Not that I wouldn't mind 1M up for VNC that is..... :D
JigPu

Back