• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

USB type C front panel to 9 pin usb motherboard header adapter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
unless I'm misunderstanding you, i dont think that is what i'm looking for. I dont need to add usb c to the back of the computer - the case already has it on the front I/O but there's nowhere on the mobo to plug it in. Is there a PCIe card out there somewhere that has a header for type c and sends the data through the PCI lanes?

Why not use the adapter you linked? Yes, there are adapters out there for that exact purpose.

that was an example to help explain what i was asking. I dont need it for USB 3.0, the motherboard already has a header for that. I am looking for something that will do the same thing for USB type C allowing me to utilize the type C port that is on the front panel of the case.

The wiring is going to be your problem. You need to get something wirewise to go from point A to point C. Without having a dedicated start point, you can't get to the end point. You won't get USB 3.0 speeds using the adapter you linked. The connection will still be USB 2.0 slow. 'C' is the type of connector, not the speed.

I understand that. All I am seeking to do is make the port on the front of the case functional, I care not at what speed. There is a tail coming from the front io of the case that would plug into a usb type c header on a motherboard. I do not have a usb type c header, so I am searching for an adapter that is usb c on one side and usb 2.0 header on the other so that I would then be able to plug it into my motherboard.

that was an example to help explain what i was asking. I dont need it for USB 3.0, the motherboard already has a header for that. I am looking for something that will do the same thing for USB type C allowing me to utilize the type C port that is on the front panel of the case.

What connector does your case use for the USB type C? If it's the Phanteks Evolv X (love that case BTW) in your sig I'm pretty sure it uses the USB 3.0 20-pin female connector.

Not my PC, just one I'm building. It's a fractal design define s2 (very nice btw). It uses this plug, but I don't have that port. TypeC_Board.jpeg

Yes, that would work, however, with only usb 3.1 port on the motherboard, it would mean a decision between 3.1 or C on the front panel. Or convert the 3.1 to 2.0 to free up the port. Probably just going to leave the type c unplugged for now.

Transition technology dilemma is what we have here. There will be a day when all motherboards and cases have these things built-in and are in harmony.

Back