• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

USB Wireless Adapters Will Not Work

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

Hello

My rig below is having serious issues when any Wireless USB Adapter is connected via USB I have tried the following adapters for my Netgear DG834GT 108mbps Wireless router.

I bought a refurbished WG111T Wireless 108mbps Adapter installed the drivers from there website and no problems within 5 mins it locks up the system and reboots it works totally fine on my brother old Athlon 2400+. I just bought a 54mbps Micronet Wireless Adapter that lasted longer before my system started acting funny the mouse would pause and I got 1 long beep from it before it rebooted.

What I think maybe wrong?

Memory?

It's either my memory is going or the current 1GB Geil module I have installed I am waiting on my other stick which was RMA'd to GEIL to arrive back they sent me 2x 512mb instead and I wasn't happy to waiting for the right 1.

Diagnostic - Run Prime95 on the current module then both when I get the other 1 back to see if it fails.

PSU?

It's a cheap unbranded 500w PSU and yesterday the fan was making a grinding noise 1st time it's ever done it.

To Solve- Buy & Change to a 430w Modular PSU from Antec I wanted (trying to cut on noise too)

But could it be my motherboard on it's last legs Pen drives work but sometimes they would also stall and reboot. I am thinking my USB ports aint getting enough power or the board is failing.

Help guys I need to pin point out the problem so I can at least buy the new part I require.

Update: Under Device manager the adapter takes 500ma and after 5 mins the adapters get really hot and then lock up I swear its an heat issue because the data stalls and it locks my system.

Still going to change the above when I can.

Last edited:
Back