• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

use OEM XP with different motherboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OCdragon said:
So I presumed that you're still keeping the "original" motherboards in each occasion despite you may change any of their internal parts to keep your OEM licenses?

The motherboard is an internal part and as such, is subject to change given a hardware failure or requisite upgrade.

hafa said:
The motherboard is an internal part and as such, is subject to change given a hardware failure or requisite upgrade.

I thought that the Hard-disk and/Motherboard are "glued" to your OEM Windows XP License once installed and CAN NOT be replaced (even IF they are destroyed by some unknown events), unless you've got a "Retail" License instead?

OCdragon said:
I thought that the Hard-disk and/Motherboard are "glued" to your OEM Windows XP License once installed and CAN NOT be replaced (even IF they are destroyed by some unknown events), unless you've got a "Retail" License instead?

If this were the case, then an OEM would be unable to warantee these parts. Not too realistic, I'd say.

OCdragon said:

This is basically what eMachines told me, at least about the motherboard. When I told them that the original motherboard was fried and I couldn't use the restore discs, they politely blew me off and told me to go buy XP retail.

Microsoft will not even discuss the issue with me. No matter what I asked, I kept getting the repeat answer "That product key was issued by the OEM manufacturer and you must call them with any technical issues." :bang head

Athlon Mark said:
This is basically what eMachines told me, at least about the motherboard. When I told them that the original motherboard was fried and I couldn't use the restore discs, they politely blew me off and told me to go buy XP retail.

Microsoft will not even discuss the issue with me. No matter what I asked, I kept getting the repeat answer "That product key was issued by the OEM manufacturer and you must call them with any technical issues." :bang head

That is WHY I asked the question initially! I have heard this from other related Forums regarding re-activating your "OEM" XP Licenses after the corresponding motherboards have gone SOUR. I also heard that only the Retail Version of XP would allow you to switch to DIFFERENT motherboards provided you can prove that you're only keeping one installation of your XP in a single PC! I'm still using a properly licensed W2K pro as such it doesn't bother me at the moment. :rolleyes:

athlon mark,
my stepdaughter has a em/c and like you, the mb blew from a bad mouse. i ordered a refurb matx mb from newegg, a pcchips i think and i used my xp home disc that i bought from newegg to reinstall xp, but used the e m/c's xp code. so maybe you can beg or borrow one from somebody to install yours as long as you use you e m/c key code. done the same with my gateway also

mewisemagic2,

Man I'm-a-lookin', but can't find anyone. Everyone that I know either has XP Pro, or purchased the XP upgrade, which will not allow me to use my product key.

schnikies79 said:
I'll go ahead and ask a quick related question. Does an OEM key stay with the case, the motherboard, or both? I can't tell according to the EULA and Dell support has told me diffrent things.
The motherboard. Change that and you have a different computer. Change all the other parts and you have the same foundation (mobo) but different components. It will boil down to how you can sell it to that Microsoft support guy. They aren't all stupid and have heard all the lamer excuses.

If you're a system builder, you will be the OEM they have to come back to if XP gets so Borked that it needed that dreaded phone call to Microsoft.

Yep, it seems the mobo it is. Change that, and kiss your OEM key g-bye. Now i believe if the mobo fried and you replaced it with the same exact model, that would be ok.

Back