• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using a Gaming Mobo to build a Dedicated Game Server (Survival Style Games)?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GamerGuy83

Registered
With the popularity of games like ARK: Survival Evolved and Conan Exiles, I've been thinking of setting up my own Dedicated Server to run from home. However I've been wondering if it might be possible to use a Motherboard and such from a Gaming PC to run one with out much trouble? I'm mean I could probably get a server Mobo but buying the multiple CPU's for it and such could be expensive. Where as I have an extra Gaming board not in use I could easily use or could even get a newer board like a Prime X370-Pro to use and would still be cheaper.

So would it make any difference to use a Gaming Motherboard over a Server Motherboard to host a ARK or Conan Exiles server? Even if using all high end parts, SSD, and such? What would make it run better, or make the difference to get a Gaming MoBo to run a dedicated server decently?

Good to know is there anything you might think I should do with the set up in terms of hardware, or internet bandwidth and such to insure a optimal performance of the game for players on the Dedicated Server?

Back