• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

UT2003 boycott

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Maxvla said:
who the hell is paying 70 bucks for UT2k3?
Box in front of me:$69.99 canadian!
Now truth is I traded in MOHAA, UT, and tribes2 and this brought the price down to $48.29

OH...ONI: Kali Sticks vs. Bokken...Hmmmm, this is going to be a difficult battle.

On a diff topic...or a vote, who wins: Escrima or Bokken/bokuto?
Oh Oni I have a hilarious video you would love....a short film about 2 diff styles of kung fu and the disasterous results...the fight ends in "B*tch slap style" after they cut off each others legs and crawl forward to slap each other:D

Last edited:
oh. canadian. didn't see that posted originally.

and btw. i have had absolutely no problems with ut2k3 since i got the full version. the demo was horrid though.

IMO ut2003 sucks, but that's just me, i really don't like the multiplayer too. The graphics are brilliant but i thought the game will be better.
but i never had any problems.

Puer, the following argument is flawed and I'll explain why.
Dont ship the product unless it works! I dont half expect that my new tv may or may not work when i bring it home and say to myself..."oh those poor hardworking technicians, gee whiz, they have it rough, hope they dont get mad if I call and complain". "I will just put the tv in the corner and hope it works". Do you bring a new appliance anD accept it does not work. Damn no..you bring it back and expect a refund or exchange.
When you buy a TV you are buying a piece of hardware that meets certain guidelines. The key here being HARDWARE, and as such every TV you buy is very similar. Not so with a piece of SOFTWARE. It is largely custom made by hand character by character and it it expected to work with an almost infinite number of hardware combinations. Your expectations are practically impossible. As such companies pick the most popular standards out there and work towards those.

Also, you state it doesn't work. Well as you've seen numerous times already that just isn't so. I'm sure you were exagerating, but still the program appears to be working in the vast majority of systems which means it's not as horrible as you are trying to make it out to be.

My point is you simply cannot compare a program with a home appliance, their basic functions are at opposite ends of the spectrum. While I agree the programs should be more robust it's just not going to happen. First we demand things be done in a hurry, yet when they are done we complain that it's not done properly and they should've taken more time. Well guess what, they put it out to make us happy in the first place. So unless we feel like funding them for an extra 3-6 months of testing programs will continue to be buggy and require patches. They don't make money by keeping things off the shelf, and until then we'll just have to wait for those patches that inevitably come.

Companies tend not to pay much attention to message boards, they may have someone who keeps an eye on them some but more often than not that's the extent. Perhaps they don't like getting flamed by anonymous people, and besides they have emails and mailing addresses for a reason.

I wish you good luck with your return campaign and if it works all the better, I would absolutely love to see something like that get real results. I for one don't have the game, I refuse to pay $70 for any game no matter how good, and I don't think I ever have (well maybe once, but I doubt it was even that much).

Puer Aeternus said:
BTW..UT2003 does not work on either computer in my sig..now that is #$%'ed up!!!
As sorry as I am that you cannot get UT2K3 to work on either of your machines, I can't help but notice how similar our ECS machines are.

MINE:

ECS K7S5A
1.0 GHz Duron (morgan)
384 MB generic PC133 SDRAM (PNY and some other off-brand, I think)
Visiontek GF2 GTS-V (DDR) 32MB Det. 40.72 (have used other drivers without incident)
Win XP Pro.

Maybe you could use a little more RAM in your machine? I don't know, but I can't see why you would be having any hardware problems. All your stuff looks pretty standard to me.

Are you overclocking at all?

The game ran great for me on a PIII 500mhz, a athlon 1ghz, and a XP 1800+.

I never had a single problem getting it to work.

And just to tell ya, EVERY game that comes out has bugs. This one is no different.

Want no bugs? Wait till they ship newer version CDs. They will come out when they would if they had never released it till the patch.

Go to internet and make sure the game is fully supported with all your hardware before you buy a game, or its not the game companies fault it doesn't work. They don't promise it works for all hardware.

Most of you are running Windows XP and that is constantly being patched due to TONS of bugs & security issues(probably more buggy at release than UT2003). yet you didn't return that for a refund obviously.

You will NEVER get ALL of the software to work on ALL of the available systems ALL of the time. It will never happen. I have 4 completely different systems and UT2003 runs perfecty fine on all of them, even a 366 celeron with a GeForce 2 GTS. I guess I'm extremely lucky.

Theres so many problems with the hardware as well, new drivers needed, bios updates for the mobo, etc... I regretted buying my ATI AIW 8500DV that didn't work on any of my AMD/VIA systems. It works perfectly on my new P4 system now.

You all try coding a higher end game to work on ALL systems available, including all those system's bugs and make it work perfect for all systems.

People were bitching & moaning that the game wasn't being released fast enough, then when it IS released, they ***** & moan that it was released too soon :rolleyes:

If you aren't happy, just return the game since it won't run on your system. If you do want to play it, wait for a patch.

Can O' Beans said:
People were bitching & moaning that the game wasn't being released fast enough, then when it IS released, they ***** & moan that it was released too soon :rolleyes:
exactly

I notice this trend on forums where a One person has a complaint(legit) about a piece of software and then all those who dont have probs w/ it let the complainer know that he/she is a whiner and delusional in thinking that they should actually get support for their $70 product.
I really urge all those who delightfully gave me counter arguments about those oh so poor hardworking devs to visit the infogrames forum and deliver some of your divine wisdom!!
http://www.ina-community.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=258
Instead of putting me down for having two solid systems that are at present not O/C'ed and play all my games quite well, why not help to troubleshoot so we can all get this going!!
It is fine that the game works for you, but report why it works for you.
I have seen many diff variations of hardware w/ diff people that it does not seem to be one particular thing. example: UT does not run on both my systems. Both have diff kinds of crashes. One rig has sp1 the other does not. Both have diff vid drivers, sound drivers and chipsets.
So excuse me for complaining, obviously this is not the place to voice my opinion...thanks for the support:mad:

Can O' Beans said:

If you aren't happy, just return the game since it won't run on your system. If you do want to play it, wait for a patch.

I would not agree more! Before the game was released people diddn't care how buggy the game would be, they just wanted the game out.

I agree as well...next time I will wait and read a few reviews and browse the forums before buying a new game.
I apologise for the rant...but boy do I feel better now..I will keep my rants limited to the infogrames forum:p I know the devs love hearing from us "Whiners":p :D :p

Sorry, didn't read the whole thread as it turned into some type of debate, so I don't kniow if this was already said...

Known issue, problem with the cd authentication/anti-piracy software. Only cure would be a no-cd patch from Epic (like they included in the 436 update for the original UT).

yawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwn

oh wassup fell slea after first post gonna get ut
and only prob ive ever had wid tribes 2 is that it wouldent run in my dvd/cdrw sooos :p

Puer Aeternus said:
Instead of putting me down for having two solid systems that are at present not O/C'ed and play all my games quite well, why not help to troubleshoot so we can all get this going!!

Both have diff kinds of crashes. One rig has sp1 the other does not. Both have diff vid drivers, sound drivers and chipsets.
So excuse me for complaining, obviously this is not the place to voice my opinion...thanks for the support:mad:
First, I don't think anyone was saying that you were alone when it comes to problems with UT2K3. Certainly, many are. You are also entitled to be upset that you can't play what would otherwise be a very fun game. But I think the vast majority haven't encountered major problems--which is what most of us are trying to get across..

Secondly, If you return your UT2K3, how can we help you troubleshoot it?

If you still want to try to get it running, tell us what drivers you are using with both of your machines. I would consider getting rid of SP1 and see if that helps, myself.

Well it turns out I am past my return date(14 days) so i am SOL as far as exchanging it for BF1942. I do know a patch is forthcoming and my rational side says wait it out:)

Now as far as SP1...it is not on my asus rig....but on my ecs rig. My asus rig had crash after crash w/ sp1...my ecs runs solid as a rock w/ sp1!!!
My Asus has det drivers 29.42(most stable for my system). I have tried the 40.72 and the 30.80(lockups w/ all games on both rigs).
I have the latest SBlive drivers on both rigs and latest 4in1/SIS drivers.

Now to be fair I will say that UT2003 will occasionally play on my ecs rig...occasionally I mean it will play for about 10-20 min than lockup...or it will not start at all(lockup).

My Asus just gives a error right from the start(bug report). It has played the game on a fresh format/install of winxp w/ out sp1! However reformatting just to play this game for 20 min is not a option!!!..after the first crash it will no longer play at all.!
Does that help...appreciate the feedback and concern MBIGNA:)
Basically I just wanted to be heard. I still think that holding back on buying the game is a wise thing until the patch is released..it will save potential headaches!

How many automatic MS Updates have been installed on either machine? I can't help but think this is software related because your parts are pretty common and generic. I will say that you will get better performance with 512 MB of RAM. You might also have a shaky stick of RAM, too. UT2K3 will tax your system to the max.

I hate to suggest this, but I might be tempted to just reformat and start over with plain Win XP and no updates and see what happens. Get the latest stable drivers for everything and go from there.

Oh, and that monkey--could be shorting something with the fur.

here's what i do to avoid hedaches involved in pc games, maybe this will help all the people that are boohooing over nothing.

1. wait until the company releases a patch, by that time the game will be less expensive anyway.

2. upgrade your pc... if your pc has antiquated parts and basically sucks, don't blame the game manufacturer for games not running properly on it.

3. read message boards and find out which games run great without patches from the start, and buy them first (if you must buy a NEWLY RELEASED game to fill your gaming addiction that is), this way you can save money on the other game you want and buy it for 15 - 25 dollars less two months later.

the end.

-ps i DON'T have unreal tournament 2003 yet, therefore it runs great for me.

cant wait for the patch, the ut2k3 demo rocks. and this is probably the best looking game i have ever seen, along with s.o.f. II as well.
:D

Jerky said:
cant wait for the patch, the ut2k3 demo rocks. and this is probably the best looking game i have ever seen, along with s.o.f. II as well.
:D

You got it, everyone pushed and pushed, said they didn't care if it had bugs, so they released it.

I enjoy both playing the demo and the real version, once they have patched it a couple times it will be a revolutionary game. I can't think of any games that I have liked that work great right out of the shrink wrap.

I'd get behind Puer Aternus, but I'm in a situation that is P*ssing me off. I built 2 IDENTICAL systems for a client, and the game works on one system, but not the other. The only diference between the two systems is the games the kids have been installing. It's now become a pet peeve of mine that I can't get this game to work.

iT GETS EVEN BETTER...
THE PATCH DID NOT RESOLVE A THING!!:bang head :bang head

So the nice manager at Electronics Boutique in Ottawa let me cry on his shoulder and offered me a coupon for 1/2 hour of consulting w/ any EB staff onsite. He also said I could exchnange the game even thought my 14 days expired and then actually turned on the tv where the x box was and let me play for more than 5 min:eek:

Hopefully NOLF2 or BF1942 will not cause me such consternation...actually that x-box was looking mighty sweet..it was looking sweet until the manager caught me trying to tweak it and kicked me out of the store...I mean hey...I had a philips and extra ram sinks in my pocket...can you blame me:p !

Last edited:
Back