• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

uTorrent and a win socket error

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trypt

Hello, lately I've been getting a weird error in uTorrent. This started happening after I had to reinstall Windows 7 (for the first time since it came out, it crashed completely, but over 2 years with no shutdowns is amazing nevertheless, I can only hope this one lasts as long, as my computer is on 24/7 always working).

In any case, once in a while, this error will show up under Tracker, and it will turn red (I can still transfer with the peers that are connected, but it slows down and it doesn't allow any new connections and when a connection is lost even for a second, it doesn't reconnect with that peer, so slowly I lost all peers)

only one usage of each socket address is normally allowed etc... I don't have the error right now so I can't remember the rest, but it says something more, something about winsocket and max ports or something.

I found a solution online from 2006 and 2009 to change the maxports and wait times, but neither of the keys are found in my Win7 so I think those solutions are for WinXP. The explanation was that too many connections are made within the 5000 port default range, so the solution was to increase that range to the max 60000+ ports, and reduce the wait times from 4 minutes to something like 30 seconds, so that when you disconnect from a port, it takes only 30 seconds for windows to drop it rather then 4 minutes. They sounded like fine solutions but I couldn't find the keys under where the solution says they would be (the long registry entry is correct (HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\) but the keys are not there.

If anyone can help, that would be greatly appreciated. Perhaps it's a uTorrent setting as well, since in my last windows I never changed anything and never got this error, but now I'm using uTorrent 1.8.5 and not 3.0 like before, so maybe it's that, and also I haven't gotten around to advanced settings in uTorrent yet, as it's been 3 days and I work too much so I have to wait till the weekend.

It's almost the weekend, so any help would be appreciated. Could it be as simple as upgrading to uTorrent 3.0? Perhaps, but I doubt it, my last Win7 install was very custom made by me over the years, but now I have a default installation and I haven't made any tweaks yet or installed any proggies like TuneUp Utils (one of the few utils I actually allow on my computer). Right now I only have malwarebytes running, the normal drivers for my devices, and windows firewall with normal settings. My router settings have not changed since I reinstalled windows, and the net works fine (as does uTorrent, it's just not constant, and I'm afraid of this error).

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, on the computer in my sig.

Well you are not going to like my answer. That being said.
Torrents is one of the best ways I know of to get infected even with virus protection and firewall.

Lol.. it's not that I don't like your answer, it's just silly, I don't torrent on public sites, and have been on the internet since the early 90s when it was just IRC and newsgroups, I know a thing or two about the net. My post wasn't about viruses or trojans, I keep over 10,000 on my computer for programming purposes, and have them stored safely, but even with all this experience, this was something that eluded me, I'm just looking for the proper registry key that's all.

I have no way of knowing how experienced a person is or how long they have been using computer. You have things together using torrent most don't to the degree you have. That's why I gave a little warning.
Thanks for your reply. Have a nice day!

Back