• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

UV LED Strip lights, what size?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jeff G

Has anyone experimented with which size UV LED strip lights work best for UV reactive parts in your case (tubing, sleeving, etc)?

this is what i have and both the leds and uv lights are BRIGHT!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MZWKOT4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
i only have uv reactive tubing but when i turn on the uv lights the effect is really nice. ive got the 60cm but if you have a normal sized atx case you may want to go with the 30cm. i chose this type of strip because you can control it with a remote so it doesnt have to be manually changed or turned off. you can also daisy chain them if you decide you need more. the magnet is great as well so no having to keep reattaching it.

Do you know what size LEDs they are? I was going to grab a 3528 120 led/m reel, but I see lots of issues with voltage drop across connectors with the high density strips. I might just go 5050 if they'll still light up the stuff in the case pretty well, seems to be a little more common. I have a large case, and I want to make sure the UV tubing and stuff lights up nicely.

Any pics of how it looks? The combo UV/RGB lighting is unique, sounds like it could be pretty cool.

sorry man my rig is in the process of being relooped so my psu isnt hooked up. i tried jumping my back up psu but the controller wont work right that way. i dont think its getting enough juice. ill try to get my loop refilled and put back together tonight tho.
after trying different placements with the strip im going to get another 30 or 60cms to make it go around the case more completely. with your 900d youll probably want to get a couple 60cm if you decide to go that route. 60cm alone just doesnt do it.

sorry man my rig is in the process of being relooped so my psu isnt hooked up. i tried jumping my back up psu but the controller wont work right that way. i dont think its getting enough juice. ill try to get my loop refilled and put back together tonight tho.
after trying different placements with the strip im going to get another 30 or 60cms to make it go around the case more completely. with your 900d youll probably want to get a couple 60cm if you decide to go that route. 60cm alone just doesnt do it.

No need to rush on my behalf, I probably won't pull the trigger on anything until next week at the earliest. And I have the Tower 900 case, so even more viewing area. I was thinking of getting a few meters and building my own kit.

So the UV led strips were a bust. Very, very minimal UV light. Definitely more purple than UV. What does everyone else use? UV cathode lighting? It's a big case, so I want to make sure it lights up well.

You probably got the cheap UV LEDs which are like 395nm or so and are only just getting into UV. You'll probably want 365nm or so for "true" UV. Even shorter wavelength LEDs exist, but I wouldn't recommend them for your application since such UV can be harmful with extended exposure.

You probably got the cheap UV LEDs which are like 395nm or so and are only just getting into UV. You'll probably want 365nm or so for "true" UV. Even shorter wavelength LEDs exist, but I wouldn't recommend them for your application since such UV can be harmful with extended exposure.

If by "cheap UV LEDs" you mean I didn't spend $20 per foot on the the strip lights, then yes I got cheap ones.
Do you have any you would recommend? If I can't find decent ones that don't cost $100+ to do my case, then I might go back to cathodes. I can get enough cathodes to do my entire case for about $40.

that sucks man. i still havent got my rig back together but it will get done this weekend. just need to finish filling it and leak testing it. ill get some pictures up for you then.

Back