• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vega HBCC and HEDT platforms.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ssjwizard

Has slightly less legible writing than Thideras
So, I just got done reading a bunch of reviews on Vega and one of the new features is their extended cache called HBCC in this iteration of the idea. Now Specifically I want to look at this from the perspective of Ryzen with Infinity Fabric, and also from the angle of the HEDT platform VS mainstream platform.

So basically HBCC is an off board caching system that allows you to extend the available memory to include some system memory. Now while this probably doesn't have many real world applications particularly in gaming, but it could at 4K resolution since UHD gaming requires such a large frame buffer especially when any kind of AA is used.

Now AMD has been touting its infinity fabric and all the cool ways it can cross connect between different parts of the system; So I wonder if this opens up the potential to bypass the normal route of accessing external memory and reduce latency etc specifically when a Vega GPU is installed into a Ryzen based system.

Secondly since this memory access will be slower than onboard the generally considered to be wasted bandwidth available to quad channel systems IE the HEDT sector may actually be useful for a change. How much this affects gaming performance is yet to really be explored. However, certain scientific calculations or parallelized AI could potentially reap massive benefit from HBCC and thus the HEDT platforms additional memory and generally unnecessary high core count would really show the potential of this technology.

What are your opinions??

Back