• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Venomous X mounting, tension etc..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EcoGeek

Registered
I have a venomous X silent edition (it has the nice plastic mounts for the fans compared to non silent version).

I'm wondering if anyone knows some tips for getting more cooling power out of this.

When I originally fitted it there was an option to use washers but it seemed to me those would just hang loose, so I'm not sure it provides any tension. Also the heatsink can be twisted left/right if you try after fitting. Any known ways to improve the tension of it? Or else a third party bracket?.. Anything else for this cooler?

Thanks for reading :)

Tighten it down? Use the washers? What does the manual say and did you follow it? Are your temps bad?

Tighten it down? Use the washers? What does the manual say and did you follow it? Are your temps bad?

Please stop acting like you know everything, and condescending to me at every opportunity. I have not disrespected you, so I expect the same. Of course I did all these things. Would I ask otherwise? My temps are fine.. I just want to push the most out of my system if that's ok with you, sir.

Please stop acting like you know everything, and condescending to me at every opportunity. I have not disrespected you, so I expect the same. Of course I did all these things. Would I ask otherwise? My temps are fine.. I just want to push the most out of my system if that's ok with you, sir.

View as you want, i would have said the same as ED.

Its impossible to know anything about your skills from a blank page. If you want to show what the system is like now, and explain what you have done, pictures paint the best picture along with a description of what you have done.

You dont have a signature with system info (not that it matters right now) But without knowing at least how your case is setup right now, we can only assume that you have no clue what your doing.

View as you want, i would have said the same as ED.

Its impossible to know anything about your skills from a blank page. If you want to show what the system is like now, and explain what you have done, pictures paint the best picture along with a description of what you have done.

You dont have a signature with system info (not that it matters right now) But without knowing at least how your case is setup right now, we can only assume that you have no clue what your doing.

agreed :thup:

Forget skill sets, I just wanted to know what was done already, so I asked. The first post was a a bit vague on what troubleshooting (or to be frank if there even was a problem) was already completed and I didn't want to suggest anything without asking those types of questions first. :shrug:

Sorry if correcting you with the thermal paste 'applying quickly' thing upset you? Point was there, I didnt want others trying to hustle and hastily apply their cooler on the TIM because they think it makes any difference in performance. Rushing that process gives more opportunity to not mount properly and get even worse temps was the motivation. ;)

As far as the issue at hand, outside of checking your mounting and fiddling with that, you can add more powerful fans instead of what you currently have on it.

Last edited:
The Venomous X has a pressure knob for for increasing pressure on the CPU. When the knob is tightened down to apply more pressure, it creates a gap between the top of the heatsink base and mounting plate. This, combined with the convex base, is what causes the heatsink to be able to twist. So, being able to twist the Venomous X means that there is a lot of pressure being applied, not poor pressure.

• You can use a push/pull fan config for a couple more degrees.
  • Higher speed and/or higher static pressure fans could help some.
The big downside to the plastic fan mounts is they only support 25 mm thick fans, which rules out high-speed high static pressure 38mm thick fans (which are quieter than similarly spec'd 25mm thick fans, especially when using a fan controller).

Back