• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

vga silencer on my 9800 pro causing artifacts at stock speed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

supersonic

I recently installed a VGA silencer 3 onto my radeon 9800 pro. I thoroughly cleaned the gpu and sink with q tips and 70% cleaning alcohol until they were completely free of dust, paste, etc. I applyed new thermal paste to the gpu and intalled the cooler. Everything seemed fine until I turned on the computer and artifacts appeared in my start up screen. I tested this problem by running battlefield 2 and to my dismay, a great deal of artifacts. I checked the cooler and card again to make sure there was a good contact between them. Everything seems fine. Is there anything I may be overlooking? I am completely in the dark on this one.

AMD 64 bit 3000+ newcastle core
2 512 MB single channel PC3200 RAM
MSI K8N-Neo Platinum Mobo
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro, 256 bit 128 MB
VGA Silencer ver. 3

lol stupid questin here but did you replace the goop? oh and did you take the silencer off to see if the goop spread out a little bi it should like spread a tad but not enough to come out from under the sink

Yeah I did replace the old paste. I spread it out pretty well when I applyed it. No paste came out when I put the card and cooler together.

Did you use AS5? If so, you were not supposed to spread it, instead your supposed to make it about 3/4 a BB size dot, mabe smaller since it's a GPU.

Back