• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vid card over heating.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KΓλ©KΣΓ™

Ok folks. Got a bit of a problem on my hands with my top video card reaching and passing 90C under load. As you can see from the pic, it's just not getting enough air. In fact, drawing the hot air from the bottom card, adding to the problem. I'm looking for a cheaper solution than $500+ for a water cooling setup. Any Ideas????

Attachments

• MyPC.jpg
    MyPC.jpg
    899.4 KB · Views: 101
I'm trying to stay away from buying a new MB. I love the features the Gene-Z Gen3 has. The only other board I would think of is the Maximus V FORMULA. Which is almost as much as going water cooled now that NewEgg has it discontinued... :(

If it where mine, I'd add fans in the space available. You have some air flow, but it looks like the hard drives are blocking some flow.

No intake for the Cpu fans. Well I think right under your DVD drive theres enough space for at least an 80mm fan... go as big as you can always!

So where you see my suggestions fan size may vary.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• MyPC.jpg
    MyPC.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 79
If it where mine, I'd add fans in the space available. You have some air flow, but it looks like the hard drives are blocking some flow.

No intake for the Cpu fans. Well I think right under your DVD drive theres enough space for at least an 80mm fan... go as big as you can always!

So where you see my suggestions fan size may vary.

Hope this helps.

Exactly what I was thinking Shrimp!

I can deff fit 120s everywhere, except under the gfx cards. I'd have to measure it and see. I can understand the inteake from the front of the case, but do you think fans on the other side of the hdd cage would make that much of a diff? And also, I san spin that cage 90 degrees to allow for better airflow too. Don't know why I haven't yet.... But I'll deff try it out. Thanx.

Just put a Delta in the side panel...

I have also seen a flex PCIe adapter (intended to allow easier probing of cards in a test environment) that could let you move the second card down a slot or two, but I have no idea how it would impact performance.

Just put a Delta in the side panel...

I have also seen a flex PCIe adapter (intended to allow easier probing of cards in a test environment) that could let you move the second card down a slot or two, but I have no idea how it would impact performance.

I didn't even know there was such a thing. I know it would look " UGLY! " but it would deff fix the problem. I'm gonna use that as a last resort. Thank you for the idea though. :)

KΓλ©KΣΓ™;7587215 said:
I can deff fit 120s everywhere, except under the gfx cards. I'd have to measure it and see. I can understand the inteake from the front of the case, but do you think fans on the other side of the hdd cage would make that much of a diff? And also, I san spin that cage 90 degrees to allow for better airflow too. Don't know why I haven't yet.... But I'll deff try it out. Thanx.

I'd be interested to hear if rotating the HDD cage 90 degrees makes any difference. It sure looks like it would -- especially if you have some high power fans in front of that HDD cage.

KΓλ©KΣΓ™;7587215 said:
but do you think fans on the other side of the hdd cage would make that much of a diff? And also, I san spin that cage 90 degrees to allow for better airflow too. Don't know why I haven't yet.... But I'll deff try it out. Thanx.

Yea the fans on the otherside of the HD cage will help a lot.

The faster you move warm air, the faster it cools off.

Also that fan right on the power supply of the video cards will drop their temps nicely too. (the goal)

How are you currently controlling the video card fans? CCC usually does a poor job of managing fans speed to GPU temp automatically. Have you tried manually running the fans at maximum RPMs to see how the GPU temp responds?

I crank the fans up to 100% before I even load a game. Been a lil busy lately and haven't had time to switch the HDD cage. I'm guessing it will help a lil bit, but I don't think it'll be enough. Here's hoping I'm wrong. :)

Well, problem solved I guess. :D My wife took pity on me pulling my hair out trying to find a way to keep my new system from cooking without spending any more of our savings on it, and bought me the Maximus V FORMULA for a Christmas present. God love her. :)

Awesome wife you have there !!! She deserves a huge thanks from you. (I see several chick flicks in your future - but worth every minute for you!). lol

Be sure to replace that savings ASAP. ;)

Back