• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Video card for photo editing and video editing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sayn3ver

Hobbyist looking to build a workstation for photo editing and video editing. Mostly Lightroom, Photoshop, alienskin and or capture1 and most likely Adobe premiere. I've been out of the game some time. Last build was 2008.

Currently only working with 24mpx files. Looking to go to 42mpx or higher in the next year or so.

Same goes for video. Would like to edit 4k video and possibly handle 6k-8k later.

I'm currently still gathering info for the rest of the build. Leaning towards an amd ryzen build due to cost and slightly better protection from mds vulnerabilities.

I've only ran Nvidia cards in the past. Never really had an issue. However the newer 5700 series amd cards (third party flavors) seem like a good deal.

I'd like to occasionally game online as well.

With the video editing, that is going to be CPU driven for the most part... what are your system specifications?

With the video editing, that is going to be CPU driven for the most part... what are your system specifications?

Still working on figuring that out. I believe Photoshop/Lightroom is mostly still single threaded and benefits from a higher clock. But in reality (I haven't used the cs versions before) is more about ram and a fast cache and or storage drives for local catalog speed.

I was under the impression that premiere still is mostly single or low smtp and a powerful graphics card is more beneficial. However I'm not stuck with using premiere so other nonlinear editing software is still ok the table.

Specs wise I was thinking

Amd ryzen2 3600-3900?
Mother board?
32gig ram.
Samsung ssd for os
Samsung ssd for sractch disk
Amd 5700 or 5700xt gpu.

I'm coming from a i7 920 build so I'm sure anything today would be much faster.

Again, still photography editing is my main use. Video editing is secondary and gaming would be an distant third.

My bulk local storage will be a nas over 10gbe which I'm also in the process of sourcing parts for. Cloud storage is also going to be implemented as a redundant measure.

I'd like to stay around the $300-400 price for a graphics card if possible unless going to a top tier gaming card like a 2080 ti or going to a true workstation card would seriously benefit me which I don't believe to be the case.
My previous builds have never been top tier parts but more based on most bang for buck in each category.

Still working on figuring that out. I believe Photoshop/Lightroom is mostly still single threaded and benefits from a higher clock. But in reality (I haven't used the cs versions before) is more about ram and a fast cache and or storage drives for local catalog speed.

I was under the impression that premiere still is mostly single or low smtp and a powerful graphics card is more beneficial. However I'm not stuck with using premiere so other nonlinear editing software is still ok the table.

Specs wise I was thinking

Amd ryzen2 3600-3900?
Mother board?
32gig ram.
Samsung ssd for os
Samsung ssd for sractch disk
Amd 5700 or 5700xt gpu.

I'm coming from a i7 920 build so I'm sure anything today would be much faster.

Again, still photography editing is my main use. Video editing is secondary and gaming would be an distant third.

My bulk local storage will be a nas over 10gbe which I'm also in the process of sourcing parts for. Cloud storage is also going to be implemented as a redundant measure.

I'd like to stay around the $300-400 price for a graphics card if possible unless going to a top tier gaming card like a 2080 ti or going to a true workstation card would seriously benefit me which I don't believe to be the case.
My previous builds have never been top tier parts but more based on most bang for buck in each category.
If your running Adobe premiere Pro? I would go with Nvidia RTX 2060 SUPER.

Adobe Premiere Pro system requirements LINK: https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/system-requirements.html

Thanks. I checked their list. They don't seem to state if one kind of card over another is preferable (pro vs consumer). I'll have to search online for more information. The Adobe website has a lot of requests and complaints regarding lack of innovation and lack of multi threaded/multi core cpu support.

Go to workstation motherboard for ryzen?

Is there a go to manufacturer or board most are using for ryzen workstation builds? Photo and video editing primary and gaming a distant secondary.

I see the msi game oriented boards seem to get a lot of love with ryzen.

I suppose I'm looking at 570 and 470boards as I typically hang on to a build for 8 years or more and would like integrated 10gbe lan.

Im not sure if I need pcie 4.0 for what I'm using it for.

I mean the gaming stuff is just marketing. They all do the same thing. Every manufacturer sells bad boards and good boards, and every one has fans and those that have had bad experiences.

For video editing are you sure you want to stick to the consumer level stuff? You might look at TR or the new 10 series x299. (confusing thing about HEDT, x299 = Intel extreme, x399 = AMD threadripper). Anyway if you're working with 4k and can afford the extra cores, it will make a difference.

As it is, I assume you're looking at either the 3900x or 3950x for CPU. You'll need to make sure the board has a VRM capable of powering those cores. Some x370 and x470 boards do (Asus ROG crosshair series, asrock Taichi series, and the top of the line gigabyte x470 board), most of the x570 boards in the mid to upper range can also handle it. After that it's just about the features you need, USB, I/O etc. Does your case have a USB C? If so you'll want that on your motherboard. You already mentioned the 10 gigabit. Check out this list, more info than you ever wanted: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...FnsZYZiW1pfiDZnKCjaXyzd1o/edit#gid=2112472504

Nobody NEEDS PCIe 4.0. In 8 years there will probably be a GPU capable of saturating it, but maybe only at the very top of the line, and again that would only matter if you plan to stick a GPU upgrade into an already 5+ year old system. You'll see benefit with a PCIe 4.0 nVME if you're working with large files, like 8k video, so it's worth considering.

If you want to get specific it would be a good idea to post a budget and also specifically what kind of video editing you plan to do. You can search for the program you use for editing on this site: https://www.pugetsystems.com/all_articles.php and come up with some interesting benchmarks. You can also find out how much memory you need, what GPU, etc.

I know I'm throwing a lot of information at you, but you're going to be keeping the thing for 8 years so might as well invest some time into the research.

Since in most cases Premiere Pro is still more reliant on the performance of your CPU than your GPU, it means that there is really only about a 20% performance gap between the fastest and slowest cards we tested. You'll see there that for gaming the 5700XT may have a strong performance lead on the 2060 Super but for Premier pro even the plain 2060 eats the XT's lunch. There's also this though, https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...C-2019-Enhanced-Details-GPU-Performance-1366/

Premier loves cores: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...adripper-2-Intel-9th-Gen-Intel-X-series-1535/

Lightroom seems to love Ryzen, didn't read the whole thing to see why: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...adripper-2-Intel-9th-Gen-Intel-X-series-1592/

Can we merge your mobo thread with this for a comprehensive build thread?

I won't comment on photo editing but ...... For video editing cores will help the most and depending on the software you are using if it can utilise the graphics card can give you a big boost as well. Look into the software you use if it can take advantage of grid acceleration go nvidia to take advantage of that and get the best your budget will allow for cpu amd 3900x or 3950x will serve you well.

Thanks. I'll take a look at those links and do some other reading and come back here with any additional questions.

I wasn't aware Nvidia had an edge in premiere pro.

Back