• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Video card prices are plummeting (except for the 1000 series) Should I hold out?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Oh, hey... for anyone else in the gtx 1080 market, I found this nice comparison of several different brand's OC cards: http://www.overclock.net/t/1604713/cb-gtx-1080-which-partner-card-is-the-best

interestingly, after 30 minutes of heavy load they all settle to..
-within 5db of each other.
-within 70 Mhz
-within 10 degrees C
-within 18% overall performance of the reference card (founders edition)
As do most/all generations anyway... Good little ditty there! :)

So the gpu will be seeing a primary gaming load off 2560x1440. A 980ti will be able to drive that well in the current games. The gtx 1080 will obviously do better and will last a little longer.

It basically comes down to how much are you willing to spend and how soon you need the card. If you need something now and don't want to pay the price premium grab a 980ti and don't look back. If your system is not going to be ready for another month or so wait and see what prices do by the time your system is ready.

Either way you go, 980ti or 1080 your system should perform well as long as you stay at or below a 2560x1440 resolution and are happy with 60fps with high to ultra settings.

Yup.

I wouldn't suggest starting from SLI in any new rig, but as long as your PSU will let you, you can always buy a twin once the prices fall and you feel you really need it.

What else? Anything you buy now will lose some value, but it's lottery. Sometimes you can buy a used card, use it for a year more, sell at a similar price or not much more. Similar to a rental fee, I guess.

For the record, if you keep holding out for 1080, but the time you get it there's bound to be something new, another great new thing that's worth holding out for. That cycle never ends. ;)

ya, 980tis are below $400 these days and the 1070's are almost all $449. Interestingly, Nvidia announced the 1070's price would be $370.
That means there's a whole lot of price gauging occurring right now.

And the gauging on 960 hasn't ended yet — it seems to be more expensive than some of the prices I saw after release but before 950 came out and relieved the pressure. They aren't done selling series 9 on novelty, and there's already series 10. Ugh. Crazy times ahead. At least I hope they aren't going to gimp all those cards on purpose through drivers.

The funny thing is: AMD's Radeon RX 480 is only $199, and nobody seems to be discussing it. That price point means it's possible to buy 2x AMD Radeon RX 480s for the price of 1x GTX 1070 - and two crossfired AMDs will definitely out-perform the 1070. In fact you can nearly buy 4x AMDs for the same price as 1x 1080. I haven't seen any quad RX 480 benchmarks, but I imagine they would be comparable to a 1080... if not better.

I would love to put my hands on the 480, but the problem with it is that an x80 isn't really a proper high-end card in AMD's classification, so I'd be worried it could be locked out of some features. For example my 280X can only output 2720x1530 via VSR (AMD's version of DSR) because AMD says so. Other cards go 3200x1800 or higher in this mode on a 1080p monitor. I would be afraid of some such limitations being imposed through drivers.

Unfortunately, I can't find the 480x for, let's say, $220 shipment included, or I might be tempted to buy and sell my 280X for about $150 (doable right now). I'll wait and see. No pressure because my OCZ 650W PSU can probably handle another 280X on a lean system (something to the tune of 65 TDP CPU + 2xDDR4 1.35 V + M.2 SSD), and I'm probably not going to need it for 1080p on an i5-6600 anyway (monitor capped at 60).

I dont see the prices going UP in the next month or so honestly.

Probably not by more than a burgher's worth if at all. It's always gradual, and it always involves kidding yourself the process isn't going on. ;)

Last edited:
Yup.

I wouldn't suggest starting from SLI in any new rig, but as long as your PSU will let you, you can always buy a twin once the prices fall and you feel you really need it.

What else? Anything you buy now will lose some value, but it's lottery. Sometimes you can buy a used card, use it for a year more, sell at a similar price or not much more. Similar to a rental fee, I guess.

For the record, if you keep holding out for 1080, but the time you get it there's bound to be something new, another great new thing that's worth holding out for. That cycle never ends. ;)

The GTX 980 release date was September 18, 2014 almost 3 years before the release of the GTX 1080, all you would have to do is wait a year, if that for the price to come down and still have plenty of time before the new release.

- GTX900 series are not manufactured anymore (for couple of months) = prices won't drop forever and these cards will disappear from the stores soon ( well, depends how many store has on stock ).
- RX480 have pcie issues what should be solved by drivers but it's not guaranteed. Better is to wait for modified PCB versions so about 2-3 weeks. It's the only interesting graphics from AMD for now and it won't change for couple of months.
- GTX1070/1080 are overpriced but price won't drop for longer. There is no competition on the market for these cards and they're new so there is no point to change price.
- GTX1060 seems interesting option for all who play at 1080p. It should hit the stores in 2-3 weeks. Hard to say what price we will see as except US, in all other countries prices are much higher than these declared by nvidia. FE supposed to cost more but at the end we see it's the cheapest option which isn't really bad comparing to non-reference cards.

I see it like ... you need high performance for 2k+ display then get GTX1070. If you can live with 1080p and don't want to spend so much then wait for RX480/GTX1060 ... but better with 4GB or more memory as new games can use it.

don't pay more than $550 for a gtx 1080.

Care to elaborate? You won't be seeing these at $550 for over a year if you are lucky. $599 was the MSRP we were given after the $699 Founders Editions were finished.

I needed a card for a build and don't have three weeks for partner cards. Plus a likely shortage when introduced. The 1060 seems likely to have the same availability and price gouging issues in store for it as its big brothers. :( I got a 480 for $249, and for my 1080p I'm hoping it performs. It has to be a step up from my 260X. And if it meets expectations and I need more power I can always throw another one in there. If it turns out to be a bust, then I can wait for the 1060.

Care to elaborate? You won't be seeing these at $550 for over a year if you are lucky. $599 was the MSRP we were given after the $699 Founders Editions were finished.

iirc $550 was always the price for the "base" non ti flagship. Should really be $520 if you go by pure performance of 30% more than a 1070 but I know there's a premium for having that extra little bit at the top end. it actually probably costs them less to make than a 980.

Oh, hey... for anyone else in the gtx 1080 market, I found this nice comparison of several different brand's OC cards: http://www.overclock.net/t/1604713/cb-gtx-1080-which-partner-card-is-the-best

interestingly, after 30 minutes of heavy load they all settle to..
-within 5db of each other.
-within 70 Mhz
-within 10 degrees C
-within 18% overall performance of the reference card (founders edition)

Within 5db of each other...that's almost a 4 to 1 difference in volume level (every 3db is 2 times as loud!)

:D

On a side note, I saw GTX 1080 on Amazon for $699 this morning...reference cards. The prices go up and down based on Amazon supply.

I didn't see any EVGA cards at that price though...and I'm a 100% EVGA man! :thup:

Within 5db of each other...that's almost a 4 to 1 difference in volume level (every 3db is 2 times as loud!)

On a side note, I saw GTX 1080 on Amazon for $699 this morning...reference cards. The prices go up and down based on Amazon supply.

I didn't see any EVGA cards at that price though...and I'm a 100% EVGA man! :thup:

That reference 1080 you saw is a Founders Edition card, nothing to do with supply, $699 is regular price for Founders cards. The up prices you see are nothing to do with Amazon but people buying then reselling for higher price on Amazon Marketplace.

Use nowinstock.com and make an alert for the evga cards. I've seen multiple 1080 sc cards for 639-649 come up.

just bought an EVGA 1080 ftw on Newegg... It seemed like the best choice.
It has one of the higher clock speeds, 3-year warranty, plus I love the company

oh, and it's pretty!

Back