• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Video Card Recommendation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trojanmike34

Registered
Hey Guys,

I currently own an HP a730n with 1gb of ram and a 300w power supply. I want to start playing Battlefield 2 and Call of Duty 2. I have done plenty of research on PCI-Express cards and have found two that I like.

SAPPHIRE 100106SR-RD Radeon X850XT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102505

or

EVGA GeForce 6800GS PCI Express Graphics Card
http://shop2.outpost.com/product/4730879?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

I also plan on purchasing a new power supply unit:
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=332357&pfp=cat3

I am leaning towards the x850xt, but I thought I would make a post to see what everyone thought.

Thanks!
Michael

The x850 will be faster but the 6800GS has shader 3.0. Both will be fast so you wont have a problem playing those games. For BF2 i would recomend 2 gigs, due to the maps being so big, really doesnt matter what card you have as long as you have 2 gigs for BF2.

CompUSA link is dead. IF at all possible order the same PSU online from newegg or something you'll save 150%

CompUSA seriously overcharges on their power supplies (unles you are catching a sale/discontinued/open box thing.

Flip-Mode said:
Get this card before the rebate runs out. This model is unlockable.

Sorry for the newb question, but how would I hook my monitor up to that? My monitor cable ends with a 15 pin blue connector.

Thanks for all of the replies!
Michael

trojanmike34 said:
Sorry for the newb question, but how would I hook my monitor up to that? My monitor cable ends with a 15 pin blue connector.

Thanks for all of the replies!
Michael

Nevermind, I think I see the adaptor in the pictures that converts from digital to VGA.

I noticed that the requirements say" 450-Watt power supply or greater recommended (assumes fully loaded system) ". I would really like to purchase the PSU in the Compusa link above because it is on sale this weekend (on budget.)

Specs are:

TP-II 430 TruePower 430 Watt ATX12V v2.0 PSU Power Supply
* Single 120mm low noise fan
* Dual 12V outputs, for stability and safety
* True Spec noise level of 21.3 dBA measured at an independent lab using ISO 7779 standard
* ATX12V 2.01 compliant. 24-pin main power connector with detachable 4-pin section for universal motherboard compatibility

This should work right?

Thanks again for the help!
Mike

A 7600GT is probably better deal if you can't pick up that x1800GTO for $178 AR. I got mine on the day of its release for $175 AR.

I went to Best Buy today and picked up a GeForce 7600GS because I had the game and couldn't watch it sit in the box. The graphics run pretty smoothly on it, but I know I can get a better deal by ordering at newegg. I paid $199.99 at Best Buy, but would like to keep my budget around $175 for the new card.

I found a GeForce 6800XTreme for $99 after rebate, 7600GS (same model as I own) for $99 after rebate, and a 6800GS for $179. I am trying to stick with nVidia because they would allow me to keep my stock PSU (300w.) Any money I save under $200 on the card will be used for more RAM.

Any suggestions on the above cards, or any new recommendations? Like I mentioned, i'd like to keep my 300w PSU because I will be building a new system in a year or two. At that time I will be buying a nice PSU and probably going SLI. I just need a card that can get me in BF2 and COD2 with medium (maybe high) graphic quiality.

Thanks a bunch!
Michael

Seconded for the 7600GT... very good performance for the price, and should carry you over for any games out right now, and for a while into the future.

chevro1et said:
Seconded for the 7600GT... very good performance for the price, and should carry you over for any games out right now, and for a while into the future.

I would go for the 7600gt, but that would require the power supply replacement. I've talked to a few people who mentioned that HP computer power supplies are difficult to replace. They mentioned that many aftermarket power supplies will not fit into HP boxes because HP designed them so that they can only upgrade the PSU. Has anyone heard of this before? I know most of you probably can replace a PSU in a few minutes, but it looked a little overwhelming for a hardware newb like me.

Ok, well I bought a 430W PSU yesterday and will be installating it today. If all goes well with that, i'll be ordering the 7600GT. Should I choose any brand over another when I order? After looking at newegg.com results for the 7600gt, I found this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ENE&Subcategory=48&Description=7600gt&Ntk=all

I'm leaning toward the "eVGA 256-P2-N553-AX Geforce 7600GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail" because it has the most positive reviews out of the bunch and will most definatley fit into my budget ($164 after MIR.) Next week i'll order another gig of ram and I should be set! My memory wont be dual channel (256x2, 512x1, 1x1), but should get me running pretty smoothly in Battlefield 2.

The above items should let me run BF2 on 1024x768 with high settings, right? I played last night with my 7300gs on medium settings and encountered a little choppiness. Could have been the server, could have been my rig, dont know.

Thanks for all of the help!
Mike

EVGA pretty much has the best warranty going right now... they allow OCing and switching out the heatsink, and still honour the warranty. Not too many choices for 3rd party coolers right now, so you may wanna consider the CO model with the copper heatsink.

chevro1et said:
EVGA pretty much has the best warranty going right now... they allow OCing and switching out the heatsink, and still honour the warranty. Not too many choices for 3rd party coolers right now, so you may wanna consider the CO model with the copper heatsink.
They all have copper heatsinks regardless of the factory clock.

Back