• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Video card upgrade for an old system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tikithorsen

I am currently looking at upgrading my computer overall and the first part is the video card, later on it will be the CPU (most likely a FX-6300 or FX-8320e since they are close in price) and last the RAM.

So browsing my local equivalent of "ebay" for used parts, I spotted a couple of 270x's (ASUS & Gigabyte) and a new Sapphire Pulse RX 560 for almost the same price, both are the 2GB versions since the 4GB versions of both video cards are more expensive.
The only other options within my price range are used HD 7870's and new R7 360's.

Which one is my best choice for gaming at 1080p? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
If that's about your price range, I'd shoot for a 7950. More v-ram and a big step up in horsepower from the 7870/270x.

If that's about your price range, I'd shoot for a 7950. More v-ram and a big step up in horsepower from the 7870/270x.

There is a few 7950 in that price range on the that website but the sellers are not doing shipping to another cities.
If it comes down to either the 270X and the 560 or none, which one would be the best value for my money considering the circumstances?

I would avoid AMD due the mining craze goin on. I am surprised you are not able to find any 960 for cheap, check some stores they might have older GPU-s in stock you never know. I found my 960 that way

I would avoid AMD due the mining craze goin on. I am surprised you are not able to find any 960 for cheap, check some stores they might have older GPU-s in stock you never know. I found my 960 that way

There is not much "mining craze" in Argentina if at all. I spotted a few 960's but they are at the lowest 1.000$ more then the 270x's, which I can buy for 2.000$.

Last edited:
Is the RX 560 that much of a lower performer then compared to old video cards like the 270X? I am finding it quite tempting to go for this newer tech.

The main advantage you will see with a 560 over the 270/270x is power draw. I just purged my benchmark screenshots (sorry) but the difference in FPS for a 7850 and 560 was negligible (both cards were doing 60-ish FPS on high settings). The 560 maxed out @ 65W though whereas the 7850 was 125-130W. My only regret in my 560 purchase was that I should have gotten the 4gb version instead of the 2gb. The 560 sure can't play with the bigger badder cards, but the price to performance to power consumption ratio is solid.

Oh and if it matters to you, there was plenty of room for OC on the memory and the core, and the power use hardly budged.

The main advantage you will see with a 560 over the 270/270x is power draw. I just purged my benchmark screenshots (sorry) but the difference in FPS for a 7850 and 560 was negligible (both cards were doing 60-ish FPS on high settings). The 560 maxed out @ 65W though whereas the 7850 was 125-130W. My only regret in my 560 purchase was that I should have gotten the 4gb version instead of the 2gb. The 560 sure can't play with the bigger badder cards, but the price to performance to power consumption ratio is solid.

Oh and if it matters to you, there was plenty of room for OC on the memory and the core, and the power use hardly budged.

I will keep it in mind if I can not get good deals on the 270x's. Thanks.

You won't be disappointed with the 270x. I had one for a while and only upgraded because the rx 480s were at such a good price (just before the mining craze hit).

Back