• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Video Troulbes SUSE 10-1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jecenlightened

I have been using Linux for a few months, I generally have no trouble installing Linux, however today is quite different.

I am using Open Suse 10-1:beer: to be exact. The install locked up at the end of the installation setup wizard, when you tell it what type of video drivers/sound/etc you have, I rebooted the system and it worked logged in KDE loads up, but my monitors flash occasionally going black and back to kde, also note both displays have exactly the same output. I cannot change the hardware in SUSE, as it doesn’t list anything under the monitor section. Read on. I have contacted Open SUSE, and I have not gotten any responses concerning this matter. I need to know do I need to reinstall dual boot again with SUSE?

I run dual head because I work with Spreadsheets and Data which helps me through the day. Everything is functioning in Windows, so there is no hardware problems. I want to rid my PC of windows but I need to know I can get SUSE working. Is there any other distro of Linux that would detect my dual head monitors automatically?

I would like to run SUSE 10-1 with dual head on, but with each a separate desktop or something, if that is possible, like with windows my mouse moves from one monitor the next by the edge.

Here is my system specs VisionTek Radeon X1300 / With a second DVI output to a second monitor, I use an Emachine T2605 1024ram Sony DVD RW DL, DVD ROM drive Liteon, REaltek RTL8139/810X combo NIC, integrated sound and video-->which is turned off in the bios.

I guess I need Drivers from what I read online, but where do I find them, and how do I install programs within Suse? Thanks for everyone's support concerning this matter.

I have one other question, I use a conexant Softk56 winModem, which the company says will run if you download the HSF driver, it is limited to 14.4k, is there any generic drivers that can run my modem faster without requiring more payments? They charge for the driver, which I feel is quite unjust considering I got this modem with my PC, bundled into the price.

I will buy a new modem for Linux, what type should I get? I read Serial modems are better than USB, but for versatility I was thinking USB would be better. I am a new user to Linux, but have had many years experience in windows and hardware... I leave my modems connected 24/7 too. I went to Circuit City, Best Buy, and Staples, no one seems to know anything about Linux, or they give me a blank look, usually followed by its returnable if you want to try it... I have tried many modems I guess not hardware controlled, with no luck.. It is highly aggravating, I want to get a new modem 120.00USD is my cap though, so please let me know what brands work or types...
My dial up service I have 2 of them Netscape, and AOL, so I will use Netscape in Linux, AOL has said they are working on software for Linux, but I never get a reply beyond that and that was about 4 years ago...

If you have the time please email your responses to my email address, as I get my emails quite quickly, my email is [email protected]

Thanks again Everyone...

Note to MODERATOR, I tried to sign up with my secondary email account: [email protected] which I just opened a week ago, and it said my account was banned, I have never heard of this site, before tonight, I did a search on google for Linux Guides, to which I found wonderful informative information to install Linux Knoppix, how could my email be banned, and do you think someone may have broken into my email account? Please email me directly, concerning this matter. Thanks again everyone...

You will need the fglrx drivers from ati.com. Usually stuff is installed in suse via yast2 or sometimes rpm. The driver you download should have docs tho coming with it or on the website.

As for a modem, Winmodems are bad. Just utterly bad. Don't use them. Easiest to use, which work everywhere are modems with AT command set.Go to wherever you want to buy the modem and compare them against ehe Linux HCL and Novell HCL (http://cdb.novell.com/). This should give you an overview. Your current modem is a WinModem of course.

Your email was not accepted since all free email providers are not allowed here. I have no clue how they can properly enforce it with the number of free email providers in this world, but it's their choice.

Last edited:
You can't sign up with a yahoo address.

As for the conexant driver, there are no open source ones, as the company won't release the specs needed to create a driver. The main thing when considering a new modem is to get a hardware-based one. All serial modems are ahrdware, most usb or pci ones aren't (although some are). You can usually get older (but still v.92 capable) us robotics serial modems off of ebay for fairly cheap.

I don't use SUSE, ATI cards or Dual monitors, so I can't help you a ton there. I did grab a couple links for you, though:
http://yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxAndDualMonitors.html
http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/suse-linux-help/55161-dual-monitor-help.html
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Dual_Monitors

Thanks, I am downloading the drivers now, probably be late today before I get back to installing them. That link for the novell site doesnt work, any reasons? Does Us Robotics have any Serial/USB/hardware ATA driven modems?

Where can I find additional software for KDE SUSE 10-1? Thanks again

Where can I find games like Bejeweled for windows, type for Linux?

Thanks again everyone your a huge help :).

---I was wondering where can I get software to run a BBS online? What fee's are involved.

I'm not sure what you mean by ATA driven modems. AFAIK, none run off the IDE bus. As for the bbs, if you mean something like a forum, phpbb is pretty good and free.

You'll have to mess with your video driver and /etc/X11/xorg.conf file if you want to set up a duel monitor configuration. If you only have a single card, then the driver for that card probably has to be written or designed to run as a duel monitor setup.

I run a duel monitor setup but on 2 different nvidia graphics cards. In order to set it up I - make a backup copy of my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, Logout and login as root, run Xorg -configure. cp /root/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf, run xorgcfg -textmode to quickly setup each monitor and screen and layout. OPen up xorg.conf file with a text editor and make sure that the appropriate driver is selected. If you had the same setup as me that would probably work but you don't so who knows if it would help or not.

AS far as games are concerned, you might want to install flashplayer and find some flash games, they are everywhere.

Thanks

From, Justin Christian

I followed your advise given the ATI drivers, I downloaded all 3 drivers the links are below. I logged in as root, and installed the ATI driver, after it installed I typed ATICONFIG WHILE IN ROOT, and they had a line for dual head monitor setup, I typed it exactly as given, and then logged out of root rebooted. Everything is working great now. I have dual head with the ability to load two desktops one on each monitor and can move between them like with windows except it is up and down with SUSE, and rather than left and right in windows.

You guys are great...!

https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/ati-driver-installer-8.28.8.run

Back