• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vista _ Yay or Nay?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vista - Yay or Nay?

• Yay!

Votes: 274 57.7%
  • Nay...

Votes: 201 42.3%

• Total voters
I voted "ney" not that I have any issues with Vista, but a few months back I went back to XP from 32bit Ultimate. I LOVED the OS iteself, was fairly easy to guide my way around. Main reason I switched back to XP was just because it isn't broken, so why fix it?

Karbon said:
My point was that the majority of nays will be from people who haven't used it recently or at all.

I think I see where your trying to push this conversation. Lets not start making assumptions about what people know and what they don't. Personal preference, kind of like your orientation, is a subjective matter.

If some of you are OLD enough to remember a OS named Windows ME. It was a marketing ploy to cash in on "home users" who liked pretty things...see a coincidence yet? This was in 2000, in 2001 Windows XP came out.

When major Fortune 500 companies make the switch to Vista OS exclusively, then I may consider upgrading(Probably be SP8 by then). But knowing how the industry has reacted, and discussing this with IT professionals with my company, I know that won't happen for years.

Right around the same time Windows 7 + WinFS will come out. Deja Vu?

I voted a resounding NAY.

I have had Ultimate x64 since January and there is an ongoing driver problem with nVidia series cards. ("nvlddmkm.sys stopped responding") This affects 6xxx, 7xxx, and 8xxx series cards alike. Until this is resolved, I cant use Vista. NVidia blame Microsoft and Microsoft blames nVidia. I dont care at this point, I just want a functioning system.

Official nVidia thread is over 100 pages:
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=25381

I will say, I love the look and feel of Vista. I honestly look forward to the day its got XP's reliability so I can switch.

Nay...
Runs slower, stuff harder to find, the UAC message is annoying and I see no benefits to it. Except maybe the sound changer for all programs.
I will switch to Gentoo or Arch once I get a new Processor instead. I love being able to do everything from the console. This way everything can be fixed.

Ultimate 64:
Ran it since easter or there abouts Turned of UAC and neutered other aspects of security.
I am going to say NAY; Personally because i have annoyance of saving a program to my admin's shared folder and other admins cant read/run it (Its not inheriting permissions for shares they have to use e$ etc to run programs).
Ram requirements are too high for some of the pcs that are still sold.
other problems:
Signed drivers??? What, produces of free software have to PAY!!!! OMG (May have changed recently)

Surfrider77 said:
I voted a resounding NAY.

I have had Ultimate x64 since January and there is an ongoing driver problem with nVidia series cards. ("nvlddmkm.sys stopped responding") This affects 6xxx, 7xxx, and 8xxx series cards alike. Until this is resolved, I cant use Vista. NVidia blame Microsoft and Microsoft blames nVidia. I dont care at this point, I just want a functioning system.

Official nVidia thread is over 100 pages:
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=25381

I will say, I love the look and feel of Vista. I honestly look forward to the day its got XP's reliability so I can switch.

Oh so thats what crashes sometimes. But it always corrects itself anyway. Also please turn off the UAC. It is really a non factor in vista. Have small amount of memory. Run Vista home basic. I have and old celeron with 768mb of ddr333 running just fine with basic.

Velocity said:
Oh so thats what crashes sometimes. But it always corrects itself anyway. Also please turn off the UAC. It is really a non factor in vista. Have small amount of memory. Run Vista home basic. I have and old celeron with 768mb of ddr333 running just fine with basic.

Sometimes? How about every single time I fire up a 3d gaming app? Some peoples are more severe and get it instantly when they use Aero or Dreamscene or something else to the point they can crash it on demand.

UAC has been off since day one and has nothing to do with this issue. Some other people in the nVidia thread suggested reducing ram to one stick and / or a combination of underclocking stock ram and other hardware for stability.

This is NOT a fix, sorry. :mad:

This problem tracks on two machines at stock settings. The one below and the one in my sig:

E6600
EVGA 680i Motherboard
4G G.Skill HZ Ram
Two BFG 7900GTXs in SLI (crashes non-sli as well)

Voted nay. I tried it upon release, promptly went back to XP Professional. Most of the innovations they promised back when it was Longhorn were scrapped so in my eyes we've got XP with a new UI. All the gadgets and extra programs that come with it are things that I'd just want to remove, anyway.

Then again, Windows is for gaming for me, I do everything else in Linux so I can completely customize my entire UI. So for gaming, they could rip out all the "features" for all I care, I want it slim and lean.

I have been on the support side of 'veesta' all day and I now hate it with a passion. Problems that used to take me less than a minute to fix now take 5-10. For individual users it seems great, but as I am only seeing it as an IT supporter.... it makes me a very sad panda.

Nay. Battery life went to sh*t on my laptop, down nearly 45mins after trying vista business.

Last edited:
Thumbs Up. Running Ultimate 32, game runs smoother, programs run smother, reliabilty patch made what minor problems I had go away. Cant say I would go back to XP.

I already posted yay on this in comparison to xp. But if your comparing it to Linux (Ubuntu) i would say nay. BUT if you need to game, then Vista is the yay.

Definitely Nay. I just can NOT work with Vista as long as that annoying nkxxxxx.sys driver problem still exists with nVidia and Vista. Its impossible to game reliably with that problem. nVidia needs to get off their *** and fix it. Ever since M$ decided to build their new driver APIs and the way the driver communicates with the kernel, theres been numerous problems. That stupid UAC, programs popping up within the start menu instead of popping out into a separate column, etc. The icon spacing on the desktop, etc. Now the OS is certainly functional for a lot of folks, but it is also non functional for just as many I'd say. I'm sticking with XP and my Aero theme, cursors, sounds, and background for now until the nvidiots and M$ get their act together.

-Dave

Yay.

Vista 64-bit + nvidia + 4 gigs of ram = gaming heaven.

XP is for the dogs. And Linux is for the birds.

Yay for me. vista ultimate 32 bit. i tried going back to xp (and use an xp machine here at work) and it is just not the same anymore.

Back