• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vista _ Yay or Nay?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vista - Yay or Nay?

• Yay!

Votes: 274 57.7%
  • Nay...

Votes: 201 42.3%

• Total voters
somehow I doubt thats related to Vista...

The nvidia drivers crashing every 5 minutes is a common problem that many other people are having. You can easily find it via google.

As for Bioshock not running, you may or may not consider it a Vista problem. It is an isolated problem that occurs with custom Vista installs made with vLite. It screws up something with the parental controls, so when I try to run Bioshock it tells me that it wasn't allowed to run because of parental controls. Well you can't change parental control settings on an admin account because parental control settings don't apply to admin accounts. So I install the "normal" Vista and then Bioshock works for about 5 minutes and the nvidia drivers crash.

I'm still on the fence about Vista. I just finished writing a review of vista's networking capabilities for Tom's Hardware. I don't think Vista will really be useful to anyone until after Service Pack 1. That's when a lot of the features Vista promised will work the way they're supposed to.

I couldn't really be bothered to use Vista as my 24/7 OS the way it is now.

voted yay...running it on my laptop with no problems..once my monitor is repaired (rma is taking ages) I'll be dual booting unbuntu and vista business.

It is a stable OS. But I could only take those stinkin nag screens for a couple of hours after first getting all of my programs loaded and necessary patches. Once finding out where to switch off that junk and grazing the web for a while...Getting used to the different look and feel of the program, it's not bad. Runs the UNREAL TOURNAMENT games just fine. I've only had this system up for 2 weeks......still reading up on what excess items can be safely turned off.

There are still a few bugs to be worked out with regarding to some device drivers.
There is to mention the issue with some game play with this OS.

i personally run vista on my the two main computers that i use. i don't even have windows xp installed on any machines at my house.

i have multiple copies of vista in the business and ultimate flavors; haven't had any problems with most of my hardware. i did have some driver issues with my hercules digifire 7.1 sound card, but that is nothing wrong with vista. hercules simply has no driver for it. i really don't care now that as i just use onboard sound on my asus pk5. i like installing an operating system and almost all of the hardware is found. ran windows update once and the rest of the drivers were installed. doesn't get much better than that.

i do still use windows xp at work as that is what all of my users are currently using. sure, there is a slight learning curve when using vista for the first time as microsoft has moved some features around a bit, but besides that i am more than happy with the operating system. even installing with a raid0 array is much easier in vista. it detected my hardware and raid 0 array without the need for drivers. i hate that xp needs a floppy with the device drivers... i like the fact that i am able to use other forms of media (cd, dvd, usb drive, etc) to install drivers if necessary.

the only other operating systems that i run in my home are win2k3 and different flavors of linux. if i happen to find a piece of software that needs winxp, that is what VMs are for ;)

Vista works for me, but I've lost about 10% in games. The most I can get out of FEAR MP is 12fps WITH A 8800gts!!! And my beautiful modded X-Plosion can't put out surround!! argh

Nay, I'm not sure if it's just me, but network file transfers seem really slow in vista. I wonder if this is fixable..

Yay for vista ultimate x64. only problem is my ATI remote wonder, which does not work. Everything else is great and bench scores are par, or slightly higher then in XP. My favorite new feature: Start search, i feel lost without it.

Nay, I'm not sure if it's just me, but network file transfers seem really slow in vista. I wonder if this is fixable..
Network transfers are super slow in Vista. I think it's supposed to be fixed with SP1.

the user profile control is great for my family, other then that I see no reason to use Vista. The folder security stuff is pretty annoying, clicking yes to complete any task does not bother me so much.

Vista works for me, but I've lost about 10% in games. The most I can get out of FEAR MP is 12fps WITH A 8800gts!!! And my beautiful modded X-Plosion can't put out surround!! argh

I dont think vista has anything to do with your 12fps in fear. I have the same card and vista and I usually get over 60fps.

Anyway,
yay for vista! Most of the driver problems have been fixed, sure it was a little rocky at the start, but so was xp. When xp came out everyone swore it was crap and now everyone loves it.

Also you can disable the security stuff in the control panel its not hard. Everyone just gives vista a hard time because of the stupid mac commercials "cancel or allow" .. "cancel or allow". LOL You only get those messages on high security settings. .......damn macs

Nay

Vista still has driver instability, Hate the GUI

Xp is simple and works very well and has all the major bugs worked out. Vista is still new and is only on Sp1. What do you expect?

I'm still fence sitting on this one, but I still lean more to XP. I've been running Vista Home Premium on my laptop since I got it in March, but I also bought another hard drive and installed XP Pro on it in case I ran into problems while out on the job with my laptop. I find that it responds slower with Visa than with XP and I've turned a bunch of the useless (for me at least) fluff like the gadgets off. My biggest problem with Vista is that my wireless connections seem much slower and have less range in Vista than XP. Luckily I don't use wireless much on the job, or the XP hard drive would stay in the lappy.

So as for the poll, I'm voting nay at this time.

Yay for me.

Vista Business 32 bit on Laptop. Vista Ultimate 32 bit on desktop.

Very soon will migrate to 64 bit Vista Ultimate, primarily for building a Crysis rig.

Had Vista Business through Powertogether promotion. Had Vista Ultimate by attending the Vista and Office 2007 launch event.

Like Vista better than XP. It's faster and smoother.

Back