• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vista _ Yay or Nay?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vista - Yay or Nay?

• Yay!

Votes: 274 57.7%
  • Nay...

Votes: 201 42.3%

• Total voters
Yay

yay its a reli cool OS has all the drivers out the box and easy to install the only problem i have is that i need another 1GB of RAM i have lost about 40fps on games but when i get some more RAM it will be sound :beer:

I think the pretty GUI is horrible but you can disable all of that junk

Yeah I know, but I feel that that is all that Vista is. Just a GUI upgrade. I know it has some other little features and all of that, but to me its not worth it. I am staying with XP Pro Sp2 as long as I can until Bill Gates comes to my door and shoves Vista Ultimate down my throat and threatens me that if I don't install it on my computer I wont see my family again. LOL

I voted "yay", have a copy of Vista home premium on the way. I figure I might as well give it a shot as it will eventually mature to a point where it'll effectively replace XP (as XP did w/ 98). Until then, I'll just dual-boot to get used to it.

Vista 64 performance with Crysis and Company of Heroes was noticeably worse for me. Crysis even had some really weird mouse lag. Bioshock ran perfectly and smoothly.

This kind of stuff is pretty important to me. As an operating system for typical home user stuff (non gaming), Vista seems to be ok. Web browsing wasn't a problem at all and it worked fine and I had internet connectivity out of the box.

I am still booting into XP when I get off work though. :) I really can't see a reason to even use Vista unless you want to use DX10 or for the 64 bit operating environment. They'd better fix the performance issues though because I thought one of the big selling points of DX10 was increased efficiency/speed.

Last edited:
Big yay from me. The new GUI is purty and it isn't as demanding as everyone says it is. Ran it smoothly on a Sempron machine with 6200LE graphics with Aero on. Yum.

Yay for me!

They'd better fix the performance issues though because I thought one of the big selling points of DX10 was increased efficiency/speed.

Yeah, it is called upgrading your hardware. When XP came out I could barely install it on my system (AMD K6-3 450MHz, 128MB SDRAM). System was fine for Win98 and Win2k, but not XP. Same for Vista, only this time I had a much better system that took Vista with no issue. RAM is cheap, processors are cheap, HDDs are cheap... a decent Vista system dosent cost huge ammounts of $ anymore. I can get a Vista HP system for less than $300.

XP never EVER ran perfectly, EVER, so what are you expecting of Vista? It is eairly in Vista's life, in a year or so when the nVidia 9800GTX OC comes out, it will shrug off Vista, just as computers ate XP after a year or so.

Yay from me. I have had 0 issues with my hardware/programs using Vista business 32bit. Also run 64bit at work and 0 problems there

Apart from my initial install of home premium x64 all but forgetting to acknolage my XP install existed and overwriting the boot recored, and my having to repair it manually to get them to dual boot together, I have to say vista runs very well. That said, im not dropping XP anytime in the near or distant future. I will continue to dual boot.

Voted Yay. :D

I am currently running Windows Vista Home Premium and have been for around 6 months now. :)

When I first received Windows Vista, I couldn't install it on my system quick enough; I was really keen to try out this new operating system. So I popped the disc in and went through the installation process, despite the read error problems I was experiencing during the process which was admittedly completely down to me for not having configured the memory, the installation was a breeze. It took around 30 minutes to install from when it said “Press any key to boot from CD or DVD..”, to the Welcome screen, which I didn’t think was too bad.

The very first thing I noticed once I had logged on was of course the new user interface, I was very impressed. It just instantly felt so much better to use than Windows XP. The Aero design is very nice and just makes using Windows a whole lot nicer. The way window's open and close, Windows Flip 3D, fantastic. The layout of Windows Vista is superb in my opinion, very simple and easy to navigate around, didn't have any problems locating anything.

I have to say that I haven't had any problems with Windows Vista what so ever, I had no problems getting drivers for all of my hardware, the programs that I use all worked fine under Windows Vista. I haven't had a single crash in Vista since I have been using it. The operating system is very stable and reliable.

When I first received and installed Windows Vista, having used it for a couple of months, I was pleased with the speed, stability, reliability and the security of Vista, I would say it was in the same league as Windows XP maybe a bit better. However, now that Microsoft have released a couple of performance and reliability packs as well as all of the other updates and in my opinion Windows Vista is fast, extremely reliable, stable and very secure and in my opinion it is head and shoulders above Windows XP.

Overall, Microsoft Windows Vista is a superb Operating System. :)

Last edited:
yay!

i dont know what all the fuss is?! i cant really fault it at all! apart from a few crashes during gameplay its been flawless and when it has crashed ive been able to ctrl/alt/del it and switch it off in task manager straight away instead of waiting for ages or rebooting like with xp! thats usually only with old games anyway that shouldnt really be compatible!!

as for the fps 'decrease' can you really tell 70 fps from 85 fps unless some program tells you? i cant unless it gets to unplayable speeds which ive only encountered once wiith stalker which ironically is supposed to perform better with vista anyway and i cant complain with not having a top notch card but i do have it maxed out! i believe this will be sorted soon too!

it really is a great OS imo!

I installed Vista Business on my desktop yesterday. Thought I might as well since I accidentally hosed XP.

My biggest gripe, it's missing IPX/SPX. Yes, it's old and no one cares but I'm still still big into playing lan games with Red Alert 2. There is hack to put ipx/spx from xp into vista 32bit and I did it, but red alert still says there is no ipx adapters.

I guess you could connect to the westwood servers and play that way, but I'm on dialup.

Blah.

Moving files around is just plain dumb. Why does it take 35sec to move (not copy) a few gigs when in XP I could just cut and paste and that was it? I know it's not my HDD speed as I get a 5.9 in transfer speed. I've tried the microsoft patch that you had to request and killed some processes that are supposed speed things up, no luck. I'm going to give it a few more days and if I can't figure out some of this crap, I'm going back to XP. It works, all the time, everytime.

Oh yea. In dosbox, when I go fullscreen anything that is supposed to be blue turns to red. No idea whats going on there.

Last edited:
"And the almighty Penguin God, came down for the heavens on a chariot of [open source] light, and said 'Let there be Linux!', just then all the world was in Peace and Microsoft was burnt to the ground. Everyone from farmers to high officials rejoiced and at that very moment the world became new again. As the Penguin God ascended up his chariot of [open source] light he announced 'When the world needs me again, I will be here'."
From the mind of Eli.

One day Vista will take over and Xp will go obsolete, but for now Xp is still fine and is pretty solid. I am not sayying vista isn't, it just will take some time to get to where Xp is right now.... :D

One day Vista will take over and Xp will go obsolete, but for now Xp is still fine and is pretty solid. I am not sayying vista isn't, it just will take some time to get to where Xp is right now.... :D

By the time vista overtakes xp, microsoft will next os and vista will become obsolete.

"And the almighty Penguin God, came down for the heavens on a chariot of [open source] light, and said 'Let there be Linux!', just then all the world was in Peace and Microsoft was burnt to the ground. Everyone from farmers to high officials rejoiced and at that very moment the world became new again. As the Penguin God ascended up his chariot of [open source] light he announced 'When the world needs me again, I will be here'."
From the mind of Eli.

ROFL! my thoughts exactly :D

Yay, I have a triple boot with Vista, XP, and Ubuntu, I'd say I have a 60/35/5 split between XP/Vista/Ubuntu when I use it. This is mostly because I have some engineering software that I have a feeling wont play well with Vista (although I haven't tried them), and because Hauppage hasn't released a good version of their drivers for my tv tuner card in Vista. I can watch tv in WinTV, but I can't change the channels unless I use DScaler (and DScaler has visual tearing that makes it unwatchable).

For general usage, ie browsing, writing papers, playing games, Vista runs fine and looks good. The transparancies and stuff don't make a big difference, but the smooth animations are very nice. I turned off UAC after a week or so.

If I had to say right now after a week's usage, I'd say barely a yay for Vista Ultimate 64. MCE is nice but it's functioning on and off. Sometimes I get the green screen, sometimes I get video but it is choppy on Live TV, and sometimes it may work which is uncommon. As stated, Hauppauge on Vista seems like crap. Although I didn't know Dscaler works with 64. I have had no luck with it.

Also almost half my updates have failed installing. Older game compatibility is not that good. I really have no temp monitoring software that works with Vista 64 unless you guys know of any. I use Windows to get away from some of the configuring and driver issues you face with Linux but with Vista Ultimate 64, it's not much better so far.

It's not really as polished as I hoped either. I right-click on the mixer icon and my mixer graphics are garbled. Really crappy if I had to pay $500 or so for this POS but fortunately I got the OEM version. I would love it if I didn't have to pay for it like Linux but since I did, I was expecting some of those $ going towards not having to spend my time googling for answers on how to fix problems with it.

As far as gaming goes, the few DX10 games I've played, I've really had no issues which is why I use Windows to begin with. I'm sure things will get better once people start having to switch to 64-bit to make use of the memory capacity.

Back