• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vista _ Yay or Nay?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vista - Yay or Nay?

• Yay!

Votes: 274 57.7%
  • Nay...

Votes: 201 42.3%

• Total voters
Yay...

64-bit Ultimate... Think most people when searching the forms knows where I stand with Vista.

I'm still trying to replicate most of the issues other people have with Vista. I can't even get the driver crashed error since the last beta.

To me, the UI is more intuitive, smoother, more reliable and much nicer than XP's could hope to be.

I've never had a BSOD with Vista, apart from the one time I was trying to install sound card drivers, twice, at the same time. I'd like to see even Linux try that without crashing :)

With games, everything is just the same as it was in XP, the only problem being that 2GB ram is much better for Company of Heroes than 1GB, but that could also be said for that game on XP.

And come on, XP is 6 years old. [emphasis on old]

I'm going to go with Nay.

I'm on it at the minute, and it's pretty annoying. I don't like the way even if you are on the *only* account on the system that you have to run things as administrator *specifically*. It's annoying :(

Back to FreeBSD soon :)

onlinebacon said:
I'm going to go with Nay.

I'm on it at the minute, and it's pretty annoying. I don't like the way even if you are on the *only* account on the system that you have to run things as administrator *specifically*. It's annoying :(

Back to FreeBSD soon :)

i turned off uac and never have to "Run as administrator"...

yay! for vista ultimate x64
from day one iv had a total of 3 BSOD's and they were for stupid things such as my 3 year old reaching in and grabbing a sata cable and yanking it out (i almost died but it did no damage) and iv had 0 of those nvidia errors with my 8800gtx

my one gripe with the OS is i dislike how it handles unpacking a .zip or .exe file for installing things such as game demos as its far to slow
other then that everything is hunkydory

Just went from Vista, to Ubuntu for 4 or 5 months, then back to Vista.

Vista works better now that I have a roommate - I dont have time to figure out how to get my projector working acceptably with Ubuntu when I'm trying to put a movie on in the living room. Vista just works the way I'm using it, and there is no good answer to managing multiple displays in Linux for less than experienced users, even those who can make their way around xorg.conf fairly well.

I am thankful for my experience with Ubuntu, and it was positive overall - I will be reinstalling once Gutsy Gibbon is released so I can try out the latest improvements.

OcX said:
When major Fortune 500 companies make the switch to Vista OS exclusively, then I may consider upgrading(Probably be SP8 by then). But knowing how the industry has reacted, and discussing this with IT professionals with my company, I know that won't happen for years.

Heh heh, yah when all those win 2000 users decide to upgrade :)

Vista is NOT windows ME not by a long shot. Vista is just getting its legs JUST like XP did when it came out (and gamers were screaming that 98SE was the best gaming platform...).

I am not so brash as to preclude people from voting nay, last time I had it installed there were still some driver issues to be worked out, which is why I went back to windows pro x64.

I do intend to try out Vista pro 64 sometime next week when I have my machine up and running again :) I did vote yay, and I think that Vista's debut was much better planned then XP's.

Yay.... all good appart from MSN messenger not working with that automatic TCP adjustment vista does... only since patch tuesday though... odd odd.. but yay anyway been running it for 6 months now

nay: Vista is slower than XP on almost everything even after performance update.
4.37GB image on XP 1GB NIC and gigabit hub took 1:19sec between 2 machines, on Vista same hardware took almost 29 min.
Gaming 6% to 15% slower, will wait for SP1 and try again.

Yeah, something's up with network transfer in Vista, and it's extremely frustrating.

Running Vista Ultimate 32-bit flawlessly on this:

Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 @3.06GHz
Abit IP-35 Pro Motherboard
2GB G.Skill DDR2-800 @ 4-4-4-12
eVGA Geforce 8800GTS 320mb
Soundblaster AudigySE 24-bit Sound Card
OCZ GameXStream 600w PSU
Seagate 80gb 7200.10 SATA in RAID 0
Maxtor DiamondMax 10 200gb SATA for storage

Runs very smooth, programs seem a bit more stable.

Back