• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

vLite

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Qlix

Been looking into making an unattended stripped down Windows 7 install, various solutions ive found, or been directed towards in PM havent seemed to work. I found vLite and RT Seven Lite. Vlite installed fine but when i ran it it asks for a WIM filter, and to download and install the WAIK, which i did. Ive gone through a number of solutions on how to get this filter into vLite (copy/paste .dll into vLite folder, etc) and I still get the popup asking to install it. Anyone have a solution? or is RT Seven Lite better?

Attachments

• vlite.jpg
    vlite.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 86
or is RT Seven Lite better?
Looks pretty similiar judging from the screenshot. Play around with it yesterday, but although I did not check unattended, I landed directly in the screen where windows starts copying files. Luckily I canceled quick enough, so no damage done to my main OS. When clicking unattended, you can choose the drive Windows will be installed on, didn't have the chance to test that yet, though.
All I can say is, rt7lite didn't ask for anything additional to be installed. Give it a shot :)

I don't strip my install. I run 3D on stock Win7 64, and I disable some windows services I won't need for benching. You might want to go this route - once you have it setup the way you want, create a backup image with something like clonezilla, and then you can restore it anytime you want without the trouble of setting everything up again.

AFAIK there's no official support for vLite with Windows 7 so it may or may not work. I used it with Vista with no issue years ago. RT Seven Lite is made for Windows 7 and you should have better luck there.

RT Seven was good. Once you figure out how to navigate the UI. Building my image now, ill let you know in about 2 hours if it works :D

hmm. well it sorta worked. Drivers didnt install properly, but im not really confident i did it the right way. Some of the unattended stuff didnt get set right either, but again... not sure i did it the right way.

Post a screen of the settings you made and what of that didn't work out.

I don't strip my install. I run 3D on stock Win7 64, and I disable some windows services I won't need for benching. You might want to go this route - once you have it setup the way you want, create a backup image with something like clonezilla, and then you can restore it anytime you want without the trouble of setting everything up again.

This for sure.

If you are stripping for benches, you still would have to disable some services to be set up in the optimal configuration for each bench anyway. I just do it manually, but the backup image idea is a great one.

Back