• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

***Volt Mod's For AsRock SataII***

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
funnyperson1 said:
did you try taking all the back usb connections out if possible?

Well, I only have 4 things plugged into my USB ports - printer, external hd, mouse/keyboard, and my APC UPS. The printer and external hd are turned off right now, so that only leaves the mouse/keyboard and UPS. I really see no reason that those would cause any of the issues I'm experiencing.

Fangs404 said:
Well, I only have 4 things plugged into my USB ports - printer, external hd, mouse/keyboard, and my APC UPS. The printer and external hd are turned off right now, so that only leaves the mouse/keyboard and UPS. I really see no reason that those would cause any of the issues I'm experiencing.

I think there's your problem. You may get away with it if your have Legacy USB enabled in your BIOS. I can assure you this board does not like peripherls connected to the rear USB ports. As soon as I unplugged my APC battery backup the freezing stopped. The front ports, if you have any, may work. I didn't try it, wasn't worth the problems it caused.

There is a caveat in your owner's manual about "auxiliary power" (battery backup). Asrock tech support told me that Legacy enabled would handle it but it didn't. You may not want to disable all your USB items or can't but I'm afraid that may be the only solution.

Btw Fang, could you post future developments with regard to the freezing in the thread about Freezes, or create your own thread. We shouldn't be cluttering up the Vmod thread with an unrelated discussion.

RT is right, several people including himself have had trouble with UPSs being plugged in via usb. If you can't unplug anything else, at least try removing the UPS to see if that is indeed the issue here.

I'm still amazed at how much this support this board got in terms of user feedback, numerous volt modding guides, extensive BIOS tweaking guides. You don't expect that much from a 'budget' board.

I plan on doing the vdimm mod when my new RAM gets here, although I'm not sure which. I'd like to be able to vary it, so I think I will do the one on the techpowerup site that gives variable voltage using a variable resistor.

I used one that isn't in this thread, with the help of OC. Just grab a 5K multiturn pot and solder it over the #2 resistor (the one in all them photos near the blue IDE slot). lets you rach 3 volts, fully adjustable. Works very well for me, but hard to attach!

I'm still amazed at how much this support this board got in terms of user feedback, numerous volt modding guides, extensive BIOS tweaking guides. You don't expect that much from a 'budget' board.

And to think that there is even more goodies for it at Overclockers. :)

Clockwork_Apple said:

I plan on doing the vdimm mod when my new RAM gets here, although I'm not sure which. I'd like to be able to vary it, so I think I will do the one on the techpowerup site that gives variable voltage using a variable resistor.
As Hip has suggested, the # 2 resistor method works well. Solder very thin wire to the resistor first and locate the pot where is easily accessible and solder the other ends to the pot.
this is safest way and the resistor will not break off. I used 2 strands of IDE wires. Check w/ RollingThunder and his screenshots of how it was done.

And reading lots of info. :)

By the way, in case you don't know, make sure that if you use speakers with these, use the chart in the manual, as the labels in the I/O plate are incorrect.

Clockwork_Apple said:

+1

This is also one of the best future proof boards I have ever seen. If it weren't for this board I would probably still be running a 9800Pro.

Hey guys, I'm having problems with my SATA2 drive. IDE and SATA1 seem to work OK but my SATA2 drive starts to error after a few weeks. I know it's not the drive itself. So my question is, which bridge is reasponsoble for SATA2 and which bridge is for SATA1? I have done the VSB mod and it's at 1.84v. I was thinking I might just cut the VSB mod wires. If it's not that then I think it could be the SATA2 driver, I may try it without installing a driver at all.

Actually I think it might be memory errors when OCed to 3Ghz. My SATA1 drive has never booted into OS at 3Ghz and it's been running for months. The SATA2 drive is my game drive and so I use 3Ghz. It primes at 3Ghz no problem but perhaps there can still be memory errors? I know memory errors can really mess up an OS.

So I'll learn how to use memtest and see what's what before cutting wires. The three mods I have aren't much above default anyhow. Perhaps if I do get memory errors I will increase Vdd and Vldt a bit.

Run MEMTEST to determine if it is memory errors. I don't know what your current fsb, but 3 ghz is probably pretty close to the max practical for your memory. Even with the voltage.

You should actually be testing your OC with Memtest in addition to Prime95.

Yep and it ought to be memtest first then prime95 cause even a prime stable OS can become corrupted. So I'll try memtest but it should be fine because my memory is not OCed. Only the CPU and HTT is OCed. HTT is 250 for 3Ghz. Will find out soon enough ..

Ran memtest V3.3 using 249x12 166 4x and no errors. So I can only assume it's either the extra voltage I have from the mods I've done although as I say they aren't much above default. 1.85v for the south bridge only 0.5v above default. So does anyone know which bridge controls the SATA2 chip? I might try cutting the wire if I know which bridge it is ..

One other thing it could be is that I used to have only one SATA drive on at a time because I only had one fan for them at that time. When I wanted to switch to another drive I would turn off the OS, ground myself and then unplug the power and SATA cable for one drive and use another power and SATA cable to plug into the other drive. Perhaps by not completely turning the power off at the PSU and then taking the cables in and out might have caused minor damage to my SATA2 drive. Saying that my SATA1 drive is fine and has been running for a good few months now.

The only other thing I can think of that my SATA2 drive doesn't like the SATA2 driver. I'm running in IDE mode ATM so we'll see how I get on with that and I bought another fan so both drives are plugged in all the time now.

RAA said:
Ran memtest V3.3 using 249x12 166 4x and no errors. So I can only assume it's either the extra voltage I have from the mods I've done although as I say they aren't much above default. 1.85v for the south bridge only 0.5v above default. So does anyone know which bridge controls the SATA2 chip? I might try cutting the wire if I know which bridge it is ..

One other thing it could be is that I used to have only one SATA drive on at a time because I only had one fan for them at that time. When I wanted to switch to another drive I would turn off the OS, ground myself and then unplug the power and SATA cable for one drive and use another power and SATA cable to plug into the other drive. Perhaps by not completely turning the power off at the PSU and then taking the cables in and out might have caused minor damage to my SATA2 drive. Saying that my SATA1 drive is fine and has been running for a good few months now.

The only other thing I can think of that my SATA2 drive doesn't like the SATA2 driver. I'm running in IDE mode ATM so we'll see how I get on with that and I bought another fan so both drives are plugged in all the time now.

RAA,

I don't know the answers to your question. You may want to PM OChungry, he will know. He's around but not as often. His volt mods on my board give me a check with a DMM for the Northbridge (VLDT), vdimm and VDT with adjustments for each. I am always confused with the VDT & VDD, perhaps they are the same?

Last edited:
RollingThunder said:
His volt mods on my board give me a check with a DMM for the Northbridge (VLDT), vdimm and VDT with adjustments for each.

Don't know what you mean by that. Give me a check? Care to elaborate .. ?

RollingThunder said:
I am always confused with the VDT & VDD, perhaps they are the same?

I don't know what vdt is for. I thought vdd is for the northbridge, vldt for memory controller and vsb for the south bridge. Well if it's p95 and mem86 stable I can only assume that I damaged data when swapping cables around. Not sure how though because both my drives have a wire running to mobo ground from one of the screw holes. I think it's more likely the the SATA2 driver and then running in SATA mode. I'll try in IDE mode anyhow.. there's not much difference in performance, only a higher burst rate in SATA mode. I've tried Maxtor DOS diagnostic tools too, both drives pass the tests. It's a sit tight, wait and see situation. My rig is running so good it's untrue and now everyone is upgrading again lol - aghh well I'm glad it passed memtest.

Last edited:
RAA said:
Don't know what you mean by that. Give me a check? Care to elaborate .. ?

I think VDT is a obscure mod. I thought VDD is for the northbridge, vldt for memory controller and VSB for south bridge. Well if it's p95 and mem86 stable I can only assume that I damaged data when swapping cables around. Not sure how though because both my drives have a wire running to mobo ground from one of the screw holes. I think it's more likely that installing the SATA2 driver is causing it and then running in SATA mode. I'll try in IDE mode anyhow.. there's not much difference in performance, only a higher burst rate in SATA mode.

RAA,

Photos attached for OCHungry's mods for the DMM check and the adjustments. He used a regular molex wired to the board and I labeled them. There is no SB voltage adjustment, he doesn't think it's warranted. If you're running good, don't knock success!

Attachments

• Voltage Adjustments.JPG
    Voltage Adjustments.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 82
  • DMM Check.JPG
    DMM Check.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 85
Back