• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Voltage Fluctuations

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zxzx123

Hi, I have just recently looked at the voltage and I have seen something which disturbers me slightly, I see huge fluctuations on the negative rail of the power supply, I don't notice any instability of the computer itself, but I see the -12v and the -5v rails drop down to as low as -9v and -4v respectively, it seems to change at every refresh of Speedfan.

I am running a hot rig, due to needing a quite environment to work in, here is the specs.

Athlon XP 1800+ Palomino,
1.5GB unbranded memory,
ASUS A7V266-E,
Geforce 4 Ti 4600 with a Passive cooling Zalham Heatsink,
The PSU is a 300W Aopen, which has had it's original fan taken out and replace by a 72mm fan, it also has no cover on it to allow air flow.
The CPU is Cooled by an Innovatek xx flow water cooled system, this includes the regular, 12v pump, radiator and a Alaska 12 cm amber series fan.
One segate 200GB Pata har ddisk
One Lite on 52x CD writer

The water runs as 49 degrees C
The CPU runs at 65 degrees C
The case is at 47 degrees C
The PSU heatsink runs at 50 degrees C
The hard disk runs at 49 degrees C

To round up it has two fans in total including the PSU, which are on Zahlam fan mates running at 1400rpm, one hard disk, one cd rom drive and it power the Innovatek pump, I wouldn't expect that to overload the PSU, all I really want to know is if it bad for the voltage to fluctuate so much or not?

Thanx

if it's stable don't worry about it :)

what you're measuring with? you might want to check with a multimeter.

That actually does seem like quite a bit for that PSU.........Sounds like you may be reading off of what bios says or what software tells you (ultimately reads from bios). Those readings are generally wrong depending on the mobo.

The -'s can be ignored for the most part, I would check your PSU with a multimeter like mentioned above. Black = ground, <---+ red = +12 & ground + yellow = +5.

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

Back